RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

I'm really leery of Iron Man 3 because 2 was SO BAD.  It just wrecked the nice sentiment and authenticity of the first movie and made it into a bunch of juvenile, asinine drivel.  I can forgive plot holes if characterization and emotion are sound and there's neat action, but when the Tony Stark snark becomes empty clowning, that is not OK.  Was that going on there?

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

My wife and I went to Iron Man 3 and we both hated it.

I guess we were the only ones who did not like it.

We saw it over the weekend.  The rest of my family loves these kind of movies.  I wish Hollywood would box up the super-hero genre for about 5 years minimum and give it a break.

You people have issues 

RunJasonRun

I thought about going to see Iron Man 3 this weekend.  Instead, I just stayed home and watched The Great Escape for about the 100th time.

I am convinced that I made the right choice.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I liked the first 2 iron man movies and I read comic books as a kid.

But Iron Man 3 was bad.

The story was just a big mess.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

BeeRunB

If you like interviews with actors and directors. Check out Kevin Pollak's chat show. Really loose conversations, very in depth and behind-the-scenes. He finally  got a youtube channel. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/user/kevinpollakschatshow

We saw it over the weekend.  The rest of my family loves these kind of movies.  I wish Hollywood would box up the super-hero genre for about 5 years minimum and give it a break.

Not likely to happen, you might as well tell Hollywood to forego all their profits for the next 5 years.

The rest of my family hates these kind of movies, I generally like to see them, but I go in without any expectations of cinematic excellence. Usually end up seeing them via On Demand, so will let you know what I think in a few months.

Dave

Mysecondnewname

I'm really leery of Iron Man 3 because 2 was SO BAD.  It just wrecked the nice sentiment and authenticity of the first movie and made it into a bunch of juvenile, asinine drivel.  I can forgive plot holes if characterization and emotion are sound and there's neat action, but when the Tony Stark snark becomes empty clowning, that is not OK.  Was that going on there?

There is definitely some cool action--especially in the 1st half of the film.

As far as characterization, they set up a very nice premise (alluded to in the latest trailer: "Why can't I sleep?") as well as an excellent sequence with a talented young actor.  Unfortunately, IMHO, the third act of the film completely wastes all of that with a series of theatrical "cheats".   They really needed a story editor to lop off all of the loose ends.  Plus, even in an imaginary world, if a writer repeatedly violates the logic of that world, it generally ruins the story.

As I said though, I'm in the minority as Rotten Tomatoes and the box office numbers completely disagree with me.

... watched The Great Escape for about the 100th time.

did Hilts get away this time?

Jack Reacher - Cruise-factor aside, not sure why this is getting panned.  a good action-thriller romp (3.4/5)

Silver Linings Playbook - the tumultuous relationship between Tiffany (Lawrence) & Pat (Cooper) will have you rooting for a silver lining (there's even a few comedy running scene interactions between the two, too). an OCD De Niro provides quality support (4.1/5)

Here Comes the Boom -  demotivated teacher (James) hits the octagon to try and raise funds for Arthur Fonzarelli's Music Dept.  Rutten's 'Nico' outshines the rest of the cast.  v.entertaining (3.6/5)

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

RunJasonRun

David Cronenberg's Videodrome

James Woods and Deborah Harry for the win.  This movie is not for everyone, but I've always liked it.

god hates us all

David Cronenberg's Videodrome

James Woods and Deborah Harry for the win.  This movie is not for everyone, but I've always liked it.

Saw this as a young teen and it made an impression.  At one point i owned a vhs copy, which really is the best way to own it.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Saw this as a young teen and it made an impression.

I think I must have, too, because as soon as I read that title, sort of a dark cloud passed through my mind.  But literally the only thing I can conjure up about it is "James Woods."

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

RunJasonRun

Saw this as a young teen and it made an impression.  At one point i owned a vhs copy, which really is the best way to own it.

I found mine at a used record/movie store last year, and it looks like this...

The plastic case is a replica of a Betamax video tape, and the tape replica slides into the cardboard cover, just like the old tapes did.

It's a great flick, even if certain scenes shake me up every single time.

god hates us all

Just watched the documentary Last Days Here which was somewhat randomly selected from Netflix.  It focuses on the life of a singer of a cult band that never quite made it in the 70's - a 50something crack addict living in his parent's basement attempting to get his act together with some help from friends and fans.  If you're into metal and heavy music it might be a bonus but this worked really well as a human interest story.  I'm not sure how it had completely escaped my attention.  I laughed and cried a few times.  A hidden gem. Watch it, it's good.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Star Trek : Into the Darkness (2013) - I thoroughly enjoyed the first installment of this reboot.  Chris Pine did a better Kirk than Shatner.  Arrogant, cocky, charismatic, high-risk-think-outside-the-box brilliant.  The re-writing of the characters in the reboot was built on the solid foundation of good acting chops and fine writing.  So, I had some high expectations for this film.  Maybe that was the problem.  Chris Pine spent most of the film looking wide-eyed and bewildered when things weren't going his way.  He looked more like a student -- and while yes, that is part of this story (his growing into his command), it made you question Starfleet's decision to put this kid in command of a starship.  The original cast didn't feel "young".  But for some reason these folks come off as a bunch of late 20-somethings.

[Spoilers ahead]

Even so, the movie was doing well until it started directly echoing The Wrath of Khan.  I had no problem buying into the recycled villain in the first place -- especially since Cumberpatch was such an incredible physical presence in the film -- he looked super-human in stature. But once new-Spock phones old-Spock for a little deus ex machina help the movie loses whatever it had going for it.  It comes off as a very bad "what if" version of Wrath.  And for someone who actually cried when Spock died in the original film, there just isn't the emotional weight for its parallel in this film.  It doesn't help that Kirk has more script immunity than Spock.  The critical problem though is that in Wrath Khan's relationship with Kirk was grounded in a many year isolation on a barely inhabitable rock where he obsessively planned his vengeance on the man who stranded his people there.  It welded the characters together in a way that makes Shatner's much lampooned, "Kaaaaaaaahn!" stick to your ribs.  But it also highlights how meek the 2013 echo is.  Even so, while disappointing this is still a solid (3/5).

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Chantilly75

I enjoyed the Star Trek movie, but the original Wrath of Khan had more substance and believability.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica