RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

SheCan

I enjoyed the Star Trek movie, but the original Wrath of Khan had more substance and believability.

I admit I enjoyed it too, but then again, I'm not a real trekkie.  I'm sure I watched Wrath of Khan a million years ago, but I can't remember it. I tend to believe that they must have been trying to appeal to more then just the normal Star Trek audience.  Although they alluded to the past, a viewer did not need to know the back story or the characters to watch this film.  Also, action and humor were given more weight then perhaps the Sci-Fi aspect of it.  For me, it was my kind of movie, but I can see how true fans of the series could be disappointed.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Last weekend I watched a true story movie Seabiscuit (2003) on Netflix. I would prefer a different movie making style but I like the content very much. It is a very runner's spirit I think.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

SheCan

Watched a Bruce Willis, Ed Norton, and Bill Murray movie last night that I'd never heard of before called Moonrise Kingdom (2012).  This movie tended bring me back to my childhood and how I looked at the world back in the 60's and 70's.  Although the movie has a lot of big name stars, the plot focuses on the love between two twelve year olds, played by actors I'd never heard of.  Its not a deep movie, but rather a simple, beautiful, innocent story that can be watched with your whole family.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Speaking of Bruce Willis, has anyone seen Looper? It looks intriguing, Willis & Joseph Gordon Levitt (playing his younger self) are usually both very good, and I am generally a sucker for time travel movies. It's on the On Demand list, wondering if I should invest.

Dave

Chantilly75

Moonrise Kingdom was very cute

Looper was entertaining, also.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Finally watched Django Unchained. Very good, although not nearly at the level of Inglourious Basterds which I just saw a few weeks ago. No matter how much gratuitous violence you expect going in, the actual amount is truly shocking - like, how much is enough Quentin? Most of it is the comical blood-spewing variety (think the Monty Python "anyone for tennis" sketch), but a few scenes are really tough to watch - mainly ones that had less blood, but highlighted the ugliness of the slave-owning culture. I read that originally both the mandingo fighting scene and the dog attack scene were even longer & more violent, but he cut them back because he was afraid he was going to "traumatize" the audience. Really, a conscience?

My main issue was that I thought it went on way too long, and the bloodbaths seemed to be a substitute for more interesting plot lines.

Also - I saw Sam Jackson's name in the opening credits, but it was something like 2 hours into the movie before I realized he was Stevie.

And Quentin's cameo near the end features the most horrendous Australian accent you will ever hear.

Dave

RunJasonRun

Two movies in recent days...

Medium Cool

In this 1969 movie, Robert Forster (recognized these days for his role in Tarantino's Jackie Brown) plays a television news reporter who struggles with media ethics during the summer of 1968.  It's a rather explosive firecracker of a movie, because the director placed the fictional characters in the midst of real events so that the movie feels like a documentary.  The conclusion of the movie, which concerns the reporter helping a single mother search for her lost son, was filmed right in the middle of the brutal riots around the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago, and the director simply followed the actors as they walked aimlessly through the crowded streets and parks during the actual riots while cops were beating up on people and throwing tear gas all around.  Intense stuff.

Jurassic Park

This one needs no explanation.  I forgot how much fun it was to watch Samuel L. Jackson in movies before he became "Samuel L. Jackson."   I'm not sure if that makes any sense, but I call it out just the same.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Watched a Bruce Willis, Ed Norton, and Bill Murray movie last night that I'd never heard of before called Moonrise Kingdom (2012).  This movie tended bring me back to my childhood and how I looked at the world back in the 60's and 70's.  Although the movie has a lot of big name stars, the plot focuses on the love between two twelve year olds, played by actors I'd never heard of.  Its not a deep movie, but rather a simple, beautiful, innocent story that can be watched with your whole family.

I think I posted about this one earlier, and I whole-heartedly agree!

I watched Iron Man 3 this weekend.  Enjoyed.  Needed more Cheadle, though.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Imminent Catastrophe

I enjoyed the Star Trek movie, but the original Wrath of Khan had more substance and believability.

But this one had tribbles, which made it awesome.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

SheCan

Speaking of Bruce Willis, has anyone seen Looper? It looks intriguing, Willis & Joseph Gordon Levitt (playing his younger self) are usually both very good, and I am generally a sucker for time travel movies. It's on the On Demand list, wondering if I should invest.

Looper was super good and fast paced.  I'd recommend it.

Jack Reacher with Tom Cruise sucked!  Tom Cruise is sooooo not the super hero type. He seemed so badly miscast.  And on top of that it seemed like the movie was just playing totally to his ego.   The first half of the movie was okay, nothing special, but I was still trying to unravel the plot so it kept my attention.  After I figured it out, then I was left to watch the characters.  Every time someone would mention how amazing Jack Reacher was, Cruise would smirk, and I'd vomit a little.  Rosamund Pike played the leading lady, and was even worse at her part than Cruise.  She was constantly using a "surprised look,"  but then when something big did happen, she didn't upscale that surprise at all.  I don't recall seeing her in anything else, but in this, she just came across as a bad actress.  The story was somewhat interesting, and had it been cast better might have been a pretty good movie.

BUT, watched Iron Man 3 at the theater, and Robert Downy Jr. delivered with his rascally charm.   He seems perfectly cast as Tony Stark.  This movie will not win awards for its amazing writing, but it sure is fun and entertaining.

Cherie

Chantilly75

Looking forward to Now you see me this weekend.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Looking forward to Now you see me this weekend.

+1!

Actually for me, looking forward to seeing it in a few months on On Demand, 'cause that's how I roll.

Dave

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

We went and saw After Earth last night.  Overall score 5.5/10.

WARNING: Potential spoilers

The Good: Visuals were stunning and good use of CGI.  Basic premise was good if a little bit simplistic (boy trying to win father's approval and prove he is a man).  Had some good suspense and "gotcha" moments.  A decent "redemption" film for M Night Shamalamadingdong.

The Not So Good: Will Smith seems to play the exact same character that he did in I am Legend (stoic, military figure trying too hard to look like a stoic military figure).  Jaden Smith cannot carry a film by himself (yet, maybe never, but definitely not now).  The movie seems like a cheap ploy for Daddy Smith to get Young Smith his own "summer blockbuster."  They are virtually the only 2 characters in the entire movie.  They are the only 2 to survive a crash landing.  They seem to be the only 2 aware that they are going to crash and therefore see the need to "buckle up" in the aircraft.

Pet peeve1: At the beginning of the film we see Jaden's character outrunning all of the other "rangers" during training exercises.  Later Will Smith's character says to his son's character (in a life or death situation), "Show me that 50 minute 10K."  WTF?  "50 Minute 10K"?  Like that is somehow "fast"?  Especially for a teenage boy who was outrunning the army rangers.

Pet Peeve2:  The entire planet supposedly freezes over every night but yet all of the green plants aren't effected.  They should have dropped this point all together as it just make no sense and added something else from the planet where, "everything is designed to kill humans."  

You people have issues 

BeeRunB

Star Trek 4 The Voyage Home is my favorite----humorous and fish out of time story (for both people and whales). The first of JJ Abrams' Star Trek was good, had a novelty feel to it, some humor, and the story moved. In the end, I've enjoyed almost all of the Star Trek movies and shows, except the one with Scott Bakula (and his obsession with watching water polo!??!).

I wish there was more sci-fi out there in theaters. Not enough.

--JimmyCool

bhearn

Star Trek 4 The Voyage Home is my favorite----

My least favorite. Haven't we had this argument before? Oh wait, no, that's Facebook. NM.