RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Arkin's initial "Argo fuck yourself" was the highlight of that movie.

Having traveled to a few self-important cultures that cherish thumbing their nose at American mono-linguistic abilities, I almost fell out of my seat in the airport scene when they guard asks, "why do you speak perfect Persian?"

The American responds, "Well, if I want to make a SciFi movie in this country I thought I should learn the language."

The "laugh-line" is when the guard thinks this is a perfectly correct idea.  LOL!  Yes, that's right, I decided to do a little business with your small country and so I decided to just pickup the language over the weekend.

My sense of humor is a bit off, though: I cracked a belly-laugh in the new Star Trek when Bones injects the tribble with super-blood.  I thought J.J. Abrams was making the funny that this is why tribbles multiply so ferociously.  I was so disappointed that it was just loading the gun to save Kirk later.  Ah well.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

My sense of humor is a bit off, though

you're not alone, i was the only one that laughed when Brad Pitt got shot in the forehead in Burn After Reading.  it wasn't a nervous titter, it was a proper, full-on, maniacal cackle (all that was lacking was a fluffy white cat to stroke).

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

you're not alone, i was the only one that laughed when Brad Pitt got shot in the forehead in Burn After Reading.  it wasn't a nervous titter, it was a proper, full-on, maniacal cackle (all that was lacking was a fluffy white cat to stroke).

No, that was a legitimately funny moment. Maybe just from being so completely unexpected.

That movie was brilliant, one of the Coen Brothers best. Surprised we haven't had a Coen Bros sub-thread (or maybe there is one buried in there). I am not a 100% fan; many of their movies are among my all-time favorites, but a few have been like "WTF was that?"

Dave

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Arkin's initial "Argo fuck yourself" was the highlight of that movie.

Respectfully fixed your post.

Big Coen Brothers fan here.  Not many "WTF" movies there for me, they seem to hit it out of the park pretty consistently, even if it's often hit from a very different park.

I laughed at the Brad Pitt death scene, too, though it wasn't a full-on belly laugh.  It was more because something that should have happened a long time ago by that point - the dimwit playing spy gets killed by the trained agent's reflexes - FINALLY happened.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Arkin's initial "Argo fuck yourself" was is the highlight of that every movie he's in. 

Fixed it further. 

Big Coen Brothers fan here.  Not many "WTF" movies there for me, they seem to hit it out of the park pretty consistently, even if it's often hit from a very different park.

May I present to you: The Hudsucker Proxy.

Dave

That movie was brilliant, one of the Coen Brothers best. 

i enjoyed it (mainly due to Malkovic), but it isn't up there with Fargo or The Big Lebowski for me.

No, that was a legitimately funny moment. 

I laughed at the Brad Pitt death scene, too,

oh.  don't think this means i'm sharing the cat!

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

May I present to you: The Hudsucker Proxy.

LOL, I loved that one!  It  was one of the first films of theirs I saw, that put them on my map!  Diff'rent strokes, I guess.  It's also been a very long time since I've seen it, so it might not be as good as I remember.

Totally with you on Arkin, though.  Very few seem to like the movie So I Married An Axe Murderer, but I do, and some of the chief reasons why are his tragically few, uncredited(!!) scenes as the police captain.  And Little Miss Sunshine?!  Other than the surprise of Steve Carrell's out-of-the-blue dramatic acting chops, he was the best thing in an already great movie.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

We watched Warm Bodies last night.  It was a great change of pace from the typical zombie apocalypse movie.  Funny in a different sort of way told mostly from the point of view of the zombie.  I can't say I would pay big bucks to have seen it but it was a nice surprise for a Red Box night.

You people have issues 

SheCan

i've recently flown through the first nine episodes of Vikings (via Lovefilm) and it's brill.  

Love this show!   For some reason I didn't think I'd be that into it, but it's definitely surprised me.

Burn After Reading -- such an under-appreciated movie!  For me, this was WAY better than Fargo.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Other than the surprise of Steve Carrell's out-of-the-blue dramatic acting chops, he was the best thing in an already great movie.

It took me off guard to realize so many comics are really solid "sad" actors.  Take some romantic depression film, or nihilistic daydream, and these guys emote some heavy feelings.  Punch Drunk Love is like that.

Arkin is best when he gets to do his shtick -- like in Sunshine.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Capt Awesome

On the other extreme, "No Country for Old Men". Wow. NOT a feel-good movie. Intense, violent, but one you won't soon forget.

Great movie based on a great book written by arguably one of the best authors of our generation. Have you seen (or read for that matter) The Road? Same author, Cormac McCarthy, and also intense, violent, and in many ways very depressing.

xhristopher

Capn'  Awehamm, are you in the same generation as our Perfesser?

bhearn

Burn After Reading -- such an under-appreciated movie!  For me, this was WAY better than Fargo.

I thought it was fun, definitely underrated, but not in the same league as Fargo. I'd still put Blood Simple at the top of the Coen brothers list. That's what (justly) put them on the map in the first place.

LOL, I loved that one!  It  was one of the first films of theirs I saw, that put them on my map!  Diff'rent strokes, I guess.  It's also been a very long time since I've seen it, so it might not be as good as I remember.

Totally with you on Arkin, though.  Very few seem to like the movie So I Married An Axe Murderer, but I do, and some of the chief reasons why are his tragically few, uncredited(!!) scenes as the police captain.  And Little Miss Sunshine?!  Other than the surprise of Steve Carrell's out-of-the-blue dramatic acting chops, he was the best thing in an already great movie.

Yeah we had an exchange several ages back about Axe Murderer, and that we seemed to be the only two people on the planet that liked it. I totally forgot Arkin was in that, as the unstereotypical nice-guy police chief.

I thought it was fun, definitely underrated, but not in the same league as Fargo. I'd still put Blood Simple at the top of the Coen brothers list. That's what (justly) put them on the map in the first place.

Hard to rank them all, but I probably still consider Fargo their defining work.

If we are talking initial map placement, for me it was Raising Arizona.

And I have to mention O Brother Where Art Thou; Tim Blake Nelson stole every scene he was in. Dumber than a bag of hammers.

I think we will have named them all shortly.

Dave

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Man, that is one of my favorite scenes of all time in any movie.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay