RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Flight - oh, god that was awful.  Talk about heavy handed.  And going nowhere. I knew I was in trouble when 3 flight officials all used the stock phrase "169 souls on board".  I spent the whole movie wondering when John Goodman would show up again with the yuks. (1/5)

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Imminent Catastrophe

Flight - oh, god that was awful.  Talk about heavy handed.  And going nowhere. I knew I was in trouble when 3 flight officials all used the stock phrase "169 souls on board".  I spent the whole movie wondering when John Goodman would show up again with the yuks. (1/5)

Unfortunately the phrase "souls on board" is an official term used by the FAA. I haven't seen the movie so can't comment on it but that phrase is authentic.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

RunJasonRun

Flight is the most heavy-handed movie that I have seen in recent memory, and the movie had the most obtrusive use of a music soundtrack ever.

"Feelin' Alright" plays during a cocaine scene.

"Sympathy for the Devil" plays during the first shot of John Goodman's drug dealer character.

"Under the Bridge" plays while a girl is preparing heroin for use.

"Sweet Jane" plays while the girl is using the heroin.

"Gimme Shelter" plays while Denzel Washington is avoiding media during one scene and retreating to his farmhouse.

"What's Going On" plays when sparks start to fly between Denzel and the girl. 
        "Goin' Down" plays during Denzel's relapse to alcohol.

"Feelin' Alright" plays during another cocaine scene.

"A Little Help From My Friends" plays when Denzel's friend's are literally helping him to his feet in an elevator.

Geez.

Yeah, this was about as subtle as a jackhammer.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

Well that is unfortunate, Flight was on my list of potential On Demand rentals. Trailer looked pretty good.

Next on the list: Looper. Opinions?

Dave

RunJasonRun

Well that is unfortunate, Flight was on my list of potential On Demand rentals. Trailer looked pretty good.

Next on the list: Looper. Opinions?

In spite of my above criticism of the movie, I did not hate Flight.  I just did not particularly love it.   There's a brilliant plane crash sequence at the beginning, and Denzel Washington does a fine job of pulling the weight of the entire movie after that with his own talent.  You may feel as though you're having a movie read to you in the same way that a kindergarten student has books read to him or her, but certain elements of the movie suffice.

SMART Approach

In spite of my above criticism of the movie, I did not hate Flight.  I just did not particularly love it.   There's a brilliant plane crash sequence at the beginning, and Denzel Washington does a fine job of pulling the weight of the entire movie after that with his own talent.  You may feel as though you're having a movie read to you in the same way that a kindergarten student has books read to him or her, but certain elements of the movie suffice.

+1. It certainly is a decent rent!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

RunJasonRun

Rear Window

One of the best movies ever made.  I've seen this Hitchcock movie about a hundred times, and it still gets better with each viewing.

It's funny how James Stewart's character glancing in all of the apartment windows anticipates the activity of remote-control channel surfing on television.  I also love how the movie opens and closes with the window blinds opening and closing, since the rear window is a symbol for a theater screen, and Stewart is watching people's private lives in the same way that we are watching the private lives of characters in movies.

Rear Window

One of the best movies ever made.  I've seen this Hitchcock movie about a hundred times, and it still gets better with each viewing.

I don't know about best ever, but certainly one of the best from Hitchcock, which is saying a lot in itself.

However you cannot talk about this movie without mentioning how smokin' hot Grace Kelly is.

Dave

SheCan

I don't know about best ever, but certainly one of the best from Hitchcock, which is saying a lot in itself.

However you cannot talk about this movie without mentioning how smokin' hot Grace Kelly is.

+1, yup, I'm not sure its my favorite of the Hitchcock movies.   I certainly think it's an excellent movie though as are North By Northwest, Vertigo, To Catch a Thief (love, love love Cary Grant!), Rope.  Gosh it's been so long since I've seen some old Hitchcock movies.  I think I need to revisit some of these.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

god hates us all

Speaking of smokin' hot vintage starlets, I watched The Big Sleep on TCM this past weekend.  Somehow I've never seen any of the Bogey/Bacall movies or any older Lauren Bacall.  Wow, she was sexy, not just her looks but her playful wit and personality really shine through in that film.

RunJasonRun

If Grace Kelly were here in my apartment, I would not be watching my neighbors though the back window.

Grace Kelly is lovely beyond compare in Rear Window, and her intro scene is the best in movie history.  She's also lovely in Hitchcock's To Catch a Thief and Dial M For Murder.

Alfred Hitchcock did not cast many ugly women in his movies, of course.  They're all gorgeous.

Hitchcock is my all-time favorite director, and his movies are unf**kwithable, pure and simple.

Rear Window is tied with a few others for favorites.  The Man Who Knew Too Much (especially the first version with Peter Lorre), The 39 Steps, Rebecca, Notorious, Shadow of a Doubt, Vertigo, North by Northwest, Psycho, The Birds, Marnie, Torn Curtain, Topaz, and so on.

Maybe a three way tie between Rebecca, Rear Window, and North by Northwest.

RunJasonRun

Speaking of smokin' hot vintage starlets, I watched The Big Sleep on TCM this past weekend.  Somehow I've never seen any of the Bogey/Bacall movies or any older Lauren Bacall.  Wow, she was sexy, not just her looks but her playful wit and personality really shine through in that film.

One cool thing about Blu-ray is that, in high definition, old movies do not look like "old movies" anymore, and you can really see the true beauty of the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s actresses.  Ingrid Bergman, Fay Wray, Paulette Goddard, Eva Marie Saint, and so on.

I haven't had a chance to see many older movies in that format so far, but it's great when I do.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

If I may hang a sudden left turn here, I just watched 13 Assassins.  Enjoyed it.  Not sure if there was a reason there had to be 13 protagonists, but they did a good job differentiating most of them (there were a few that I failed to connect with by the end).  Maybe it was because they sure whipped up one booger of a villian.

I really should look up more of these samurai flicks - the few I've seen, I've liked the exploration of feudal Japanese culture and intrigue.

And samurai chopping each other up with swords.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Imminent Catastrophe

Oh wow, you must see "To Have and Have Not". Bogey and Bacall at their best, this movie is THE definition of onscreen chemistry. The dialog between the two is so great and full of clever double-entendre, it makes today's writers look lame. For some reason Bacall calls him Steve although the character's name is Harry, and he calls her Slim for obvious reasons. Actually all the dialog throughout the movie is incredible, it's second only to Casablanca for memorable quotes. And of course there's Walter Brennan (Eddie):

Eddie: Drinking don't bother my memory. If it did I wouldn't drink. I couldn't. You see, I'd forget how good it was, then where'd I be? Start drinkin' water, again.

Slim: You know you don't have to act with me, Steve. You don't have to say anything, and you don't have to do anything. Not a thing. Oh, maybe just whistle. You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow.

Steve: You're both going to take a beating 'til one of you uses that phone. That means one of you will take a beating for nothing.

[Slim kisses Steve]

Steve: What did you do that for?

Slim: I've been wondering if I'd like it.

Steve: What's the decision?

Slim: I don't know yet.

[They kiss again]

Slim: It's even better when you help.

[Slim sidles up to Steve in a slinky, sexy dress]

Steve: Welllllll....

Slim: I'm going to work. Do you like it?

Steve: You won't have to sing much in that outfit.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

RunJasonRun

If I may hang a sudden left turn here, I just watched 13 Assassins.  Enjoyed it.  Not sure if there was a reason there had to be 13 protagonists, but they did a good job differentiating most of them (there were a few that I failed to connect with by the end).  Maybe it was because they sure whipped up one booger of a villian.

I really should look up more of these samurai flicks - the few I've seen, I've liked the exploration of feudal Japanese culture and intrigue.

And samurai chopping each other up with swords.

That's a great flick.  My favorite quote in 13 Assassins also applies to ultrarunning.  "There are no big or small tasks, all are equally important."

I love how, during the big fights in the last hour, it's easy to tell exactly what is going on with each of the samurai, and I can follow the fight scenes without effort.  It's so different than the jerky editing of most American action films these days.