RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

zonykel

The audience was very quiet as well when we left the movie theater.

"Lone Survivor" kept me tense through the battle scenes. Tough to compare to "Saving Private Ryan" or "Black Hawk Down". They each have a different focus.

After I watched the movie, I looked up some of the names. Turns out LCDR Erik Kristensen (played by Eric Bana) was actually a classmate of mine. I recall seeing him around campus, but we were not friends or anything like that. Still, sad to find out what happened to him.

DH and I went and saw Lone Survivor on Saturday night. Damn. I had just finished the book about a week before and thought I was prepared, but I left the theater with tears streaming down my face. Great movie. Seriously, something everyone should see. I was honestly impressed by all of the actors. They really brought these guys to life. Marcus Luttrell has a cameo in the movie which is cool. The village scenes were shortened, but the battle scene was amazing. Apparently that's the area he refused to allow them to screw up and it shows. My heart was racing the entire time. As far as I could tell, the rest of the theater loved it as well. It was amazing, I've never seen a movie where the audience filed out in complete silence that way. Everyone was just stunned. Even if it's not your type of movie, it's definitely worth seeing.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Rust and Bone (2012) - French film.  Tragic . . . uh, love story.  I find it really hard to describe this film other than to implore people with my sensibilities to watch it.  I guess it's enough to watch the trailer to know if it's your type of film.  Some of the scenes are hauntingly stunning, yet grounded like a deep exhale after a long hard workout.  (5/5)

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

BeeRunB

Red Dawn (1984) vs. Red Dawn (2012)

I watched both the past few weeks. I had never seen either one. Even though certain elements are dated in the 1984 version, I enjoyed it much more than the modern one. 1984 enemy: Communist Soviets and Cubans. 2012: North Korea. I didn't much believe the North Koreans invading and how they did it.  The Soviets and the use of nukes to get it done, I believed.

I always knew The Swayze was in the '84 version, but was pleasantly surprised to see Lea Thompson, Charlie Sheen, C. Thomas Howell, Jennifer Grey, and Harry Dean Stanton. This version had a harder edge to it, right from the gitgo when the invading Cubans killed a curious teacher. You never knew who was going to go next.

Both movies aren't examples of high cinema, but I like the premise.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I didn't much believe the North Koreans invading and how they did it. 

This has been a problem in recent films.  I saw Olympus Has Fallen the other day.  It's actually not a bad movie.  Die Hard + Patriot's Day.  The invasion of the White House is actually really good.  The strategy and tactics are completely believable.  The problem is that the secret service's response is not.  They walk like lemmings into .50 cal gunfire.  Geez, the front door is kinda choke-point, and there are three .50 cal machine guns trained on it . . . Okay boys, on three everyone through the gap!  Tally Ho!

Ugh.

They could have easily had the Secret Service agents out gunned, and doing things like hiding behind the wall . . . only to get cut to ribbons as the .50 cal goes right though the wall.  They could have tried some flanking tactics, only to get taken out by RPGs or swams of NKs from other directions.  But instead they chose to make some of our elite bodyguards look like schmoes.

Other than that, it's actually a 3/5 movie.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Lone Survivor (2014) - First, I need to separate the heroic and awe inspiring actions and sacrifices of the men involved in Operation Red Wings from the movie.  The former is beyond criticism and critique by someone who knows little about what they go through and only benefits from their heroic munificence.  The latter however, is fair game.

The main problem with this movie is that it can't seem to shed its Hollywood veneer.  The actors, perhaps with faces too well known and acting chops too meager, never shake their identities for those of the soldiers they portray.  Mark Walberg, Taylor Kitch, and Emile Hersch barely lose their sheen even in a firefight that beats their characters to pulp.  Ben Foster does a good job, but perhaps because he is the "negative" character or because he is lesser known.  There's no guess-work in the story.  I don't think there's even an attempt.  The one rescue curveball kinda leaves you cold because the characters involved are not well developed.

Perhaps the most amazing thing this has going for it is the fire fight.  It is extremely well done.  Havoc everywhere you look.  The good guys take a beating and help earn their stripes on screen as the real badasses the real life men are.  Take a bullet through the shoulder?  Keep firing.  Take one to the hand?  Keep firing.  Bounce off a cliff-side?  Get up, keep firing.  It's brutally amazing what punishment they go through -- even if 80% is made up to get the point across.

So, this isn't a waste of money -- though I would wait for DVD.  But it isn't Platoon, Saving Private Ryan, or Blackhawk Down.  It's more of a really good 80s war movie.  To be honest, 1980s Red Dawn had more emotional impact.

That is, until you hit the epilogue of the film where celluloid meets real life.  Then the ninjas in the theater start chopping onions everywhere.

(3/5)

Perhaps the most amazing thing this has going for it is the fire fight.  It is extremely well done.  Havoc everywhere you look.  The good guys take a beating and help earn their stripes on screen as the real badasses the real life men are.  Take a bullet through the shoulder?  Keep firing.  Take one to the hand?  Keep firing.  Bounce off a cliff-side?  Get up, keep firing.  It's brutally amazing what punishment they go through -- even if 80% is made up to get the point across.

Actually according to the book and autopsy reports, it was pretty much all true. Luttrell consulted on the movie and made sure the fire fight was as accurate as possible. They fell back off the mountain several times in an attempt to get to flat ground where they might be at less of a disadvantage. Axelson had been shot 7 times when they were separated, once in the head, and he was still alive and fighting. Danny Dietz had been shot 11 times and lost his thumb. I know it's a movie, not a documentary, but I just wouldn't go so far as saying 80% of it is made up.

RunJasonRun

Red Dawn (1984) vs. Red Dawn (2012)

I watched both the past few weeks. I had never seen either one. Even though certain elements are dated in the 1984 version, I enjoyed it much more than the modern one. 1984 enemy: Communist Soviets and Cubans. 2012: North Korea. I didn't much believe the North Koreans invading and how they did it.  The Soviets and the use of nukes to get it done, I believed.

I always knew The Swayze was in the '84 version, but was pleasantly surprised to see Lea Thompson, Charlie Sheen, C. Thomas Howell, Jennifer Grey, and Harry Dean Stanton. This version had a harder edge to it, right from the gitgo when the invading Cubans killed a curious teacher. You never knew who was going to go next.

Both movies aren't examples of high cinema, but I like the premise.

I grew up watching the original 1984 version of Red Dawn, and I watched the 2012 remake a few months ago, so here's my take...

In the 1984 original of Red Dawn, the Russian and Cuban paratroopers land behind a school while the students are in class, and the ensuing scene is intense and brutal.  I was nonetheless drawn in by this scene when I was younger, though.  I knew that, if enemy paratroopers landed behind my school and opened fire, this would obviously be horrifying and tragic, but it would at least get me out of having to sit through classes for the rest of the day.

In the 2012 remake of Red Dawn, the enemy paratroopers arrive early on a Saturday morning and wake the students up out of bed.

*sign*

Screw that.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

BeeRunB

Watched In Bruges tonight.

Very good movie--funny.

Unique.

zonykel

I was catching up on some movies that are on DVD:

Moon as the name implies, takes place in the moon. It has a feel like 2001: A Space Odyssey, but obviously the plot is different. I don't particularly care much for Sam Rockwell, but he showed some talent and depth in this move. I definitely recommend it.

The Skin I Live In was directed by Almodovar. Antonio Banderas actually has good acting skills. It's sort of a revenge film, kind of weird, with very bad people. I did not see some things coming and thankfully the story was not "standard" Hollywood stuff. Highly recommended as well.

Blackfish is a more recent documentary on Orcas, aka Killer Whales, how they are treated at Sea World, and the dangers to the trainers. It's worth watching. You probably won't view Sea World the same way.

SheCan

Watched In Bruges tonight.

Very good movie--funny.

Unique.

I loved that movie.  It also made me realize that Colin Farrell could act.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

BeeRunB

He was awesome, as was Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes (wow, what a funny turn for him).

RunJasonRun

Speaking of Colin Farrell...

I revisited Michael Mann's 2006 feature film, Miami Vice, earlier this evening.  The film stars Colin Farrell as Crockett and Jamie Foxx as Tubbs.

I am in the minority, but I believe that the film version of Miami Vice is a criminally underrated movie.   I am the biggest fan of the original 1980s television series that I know of, and I am of the opinion that this movie beautifully captures the spirit of the show.  The original Miami Vice television series was inspired by news stories of the drug trade in that city, after Fidel Castro had purposely emptied prisons in Cuba and allowed a multitude of convicts to flee the country for U.S. shores during the Mariel boatlift in 1980 in an effort to remove undesirables from his country.  Mann's 2006 film version of Miami Vice features an updated portrayal of the drug war, where white supremacist groups and other such entities have interests in the illegal profits. Miami Vice always had dark undercurrents with the original television series, and the film reflects the original tone.  I suspect that many people went to see this movie expecting a campy "big '80s" throwback homage to the original series, and were turned off by this darker approach that is actually a more fitting tribute.

I love the cinematography in this Miami Vice movie.  The handheld digital video looks somewhat crude at times, but there's a real immediacy to the visuals.

This film version of Miami Vice actually shares a few plot similarities with "Smuggler's Blues", one of the first-season episodes of the original show. Some lines of dialogue are even identical. 

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

BeeRunB

Found an indy gem on Netflix called Roadie. Drama. The acting is top notch.

Add it to your list.

SheCan

We'd recently watched Born Free. It definitely felt like the predecessor to Youtube cat videos.  Even though in places the acting was a little dated, it was still quite enjoyable.  After watching it I was all keyed up for watching some more movies filmed in Africa, and ordered Zulu with Michael Caine.  Haven't watched it yet.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Rented The Family over the weekend.  Dark comedy about a mafia member going into the witness protection program starring DeNiro and Pfieffer.  It was entertaining enough to hold my interest and a few laugh out loud moments.  Definitely worth the $1.20 Redbox fee.

You people have issues