RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

Rented The Family over the weekend.  Dark comedy about a mafia member going into the witness protection program starring DeNiro and Pfieffer.  It was entertaining enough to hold my interest and a few laugh out loud moments.  Definitely worth the $1.20 Redbox fee.

We watched that a couple weeks ago. Not too bad, but we were a bit disappointed; maybe our expectations were too high since it looked like it would be pretty good. One of those where if you've seen the trailer, you've seen some of the best parts of the movie. I agree it would've been worth the $1.20; questionable as to whether it was worth the $6.00 we paid for On Demand.

Dave

BeeRunB

Shaun Of The Dead

Liked it. Zombie movie with humor and a great ending.

The Visitor

Very good. Not a false move in this film. Richard Jenkins put in amazing performance.

If you have Amazon Prime and like The Beatles and/or Bob Dylan, there are a series of documentaries that are quite good about them. One set is about the songwriting of Lennon/McCartney (3 parts) and another is about their Apple Records adventure. Bob Dylan + The Band/Basement Tapes is quite good. All of these include original recordings, so aren't on the cheap like some docs.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Shaun Of The Dead

One of my husband's favorites.  And it is funny.

steph  

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Shaun Of The Dead

Fuckadoodledoo!

And…you've got red on you.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Shaun Of The Dead

as you enjoy Frost and Pegg's work (& aside from the highly enjoyable Hot FuzzPaul & The World's End), the two seasons of Spaced (1999-2001) are well worth checking out. apart from the engaging characters & brill comedy, you can marvel at the many interwoven film references.

p.s. keep an eye out for Colin...

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

SheCan

Shaun Of The Dead

Only zombie movie I liked up until Zombieland came out.  Loved them both.  Zombies must only appeal to me when they're being funny.

DH recorded the old movie, The Wicker Man (1973.)  After having watched the 2006 version with Nicolas Cage, I totally didn't want to see the old one, but I finally gave in.  It was soooooooooo much better even though it was a dated 70's movie.

Can't say I found Hot Fuzz that great.  I was pretty disappointed with it.   Though I really liked Paul-- have yet to see The World's End.  But now I wanna!

as you enjoy Frost and Pegg's work (& aside from the highly enjoyable Hot FuzzPaul & The World's End), the two seasons of Spaced (1999-2001) are well worth checking out. apart from the engaging characters & brill comedy, you can marvel at the many interwoven film references.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

obiebyke

I went to see August: Osage County last night and it was amazingly good. It's adapted from a play, so if you're into action, this isn't the movie for you. If you're into family dysfunction and character development, on the other hand, give it a try. Meryl Streep is a miracle. I can't imagine she won't win the Oscar.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

RunJasonRun

Dillinger (1945)

Born to Kill (1947)

Reservoir Dogs (1992)

This was a fun triple feature this weekend, because it's interesting to see how actor Lawrence Tierney evolved over the years and remained the quintessential tough crook.

Lawrence Tierney in Dillinger...

Lawrence Tierney in Born to Kill...

Lawrence Tierney in Reservoir Dogs...

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Can't say I found Hot Fuzz that great.  I was pretty disappointed with it.   Though I really liked Paul-- have yet to see The World's End.  But now I wanna!

I liked Paul better than Hot Fuzz, too.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

BeeRunB

Here's a good 4-minute video about Tierney's crazy turn on Seinfeld as Elaine's father in "The Jacket":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9T7En0N2bg

Had everyone on edge.

Dillinger (1945)

Born to Kill (1947)

Reservoir Dogs (1992)

This was a fun triple feature this weekend, because it's interesting to see how actor Lawrence Tierney evolved over the years and remained the quintessential tough crook.

RunJasonRun

Here's a good 4-minute video about Tierney's crazy turn on Seinfeld as Elaine's father in "The Jacket":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9T7En0N2bg

Had everyone on edge.

Haha.  That's a great story.   Yeah, I can imagine that the late great Lawrence Tierney was someone who intimidated people on many sets.

After his winning streak of film noir appearance during the 1940s, Tierney had some legal problems involving alcohol and brawls.  It's good that he was able to get back into the acting business.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

I also saw "Computer Chess" recently (it may be out on DVD now). It was a quirky mockumentary. I think they got the chess part and the programming part really well. 

+1

blunder-wise, a picture in picture board might've been helpful, guess it would've detracted from the low-tech feel. Papageorge was v.funny, couldn't help but empathise as he encountered his own personal fear and loathing whilst trying to get some sleep. the last 15mins are proper trippy tho, i could've done with a mescaline zugswang (3.1/5)

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Fuckadoodledoo!

And…you've got red on you.

I'm sorry.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Dillinger (1945)

Born to Kill (1947)

Reservoir Dogs (1992)

Lawrence Tierney in Dillinger...

Lawrence Tierney in Born to Kill...

Lawrence Tierney in Reservoir Dogs...

Heh, that's funny...on the treadmill the other night, I decided to give Stephen King's Silver Bullet a spin, see if it's as good as I remembered.

It is not.  But it has an all-too-brief cameo by Mr. Tierney, doing what he seemed to do best: be intimidating.  Definitely one of two bright spots.

The other bright spot is Gary Busey.  I always liked him, back when he was still employable as an actor.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

BeeRunB

The Way Back, directed by Peter Weir (Fearless, Witness, Truman Show). Prisoners escape Russian gulag in 1941 and make their way on foot toward India. Colin Farrell was interesting, as was Ed Harris and Saoirse Ronan. Relaxing, walking movie. I was engrossed. Don't ask for too much more.