RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

My memory of that genre is watching those on the UHF channel 56 out of Boston, on my small TV in my bedroom. The picture was always  bit snowy, which added to the effect (I didn't mind the awful picture at all). In northeast Rhode Island we had channel 12, 10, 6, 36 (PBS) and UHF 56 and 38 (bothy snowy). 

Creature Double Feature on 56 is a fond memory.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Creature Double Feature

CREATURE DOUBLE FEATURE!!!

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

BeeRunB

Creature Double Feature on 56 is a fond memory.

That's it!

There was also this guy named Dr. Demento---crazy dude.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I loved the old dubbed Godzilla movies as a kid...and also loved the crap out of this new take on the genre.  Everything about Godzilla was perfect, but especially the sound.  We saw it in 3D IMAX and it's easily one of the best films we've seen in that format.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

BeeRunB

"Dr. Demento" is incorrect (he's a radio talk show host). The guy I was thinking about was called The Ghoul. He was the host for a horror movie every week in the early 70's on Channel 56. This guy:

Man, this is making me feel nostalgic.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

"Dr. Demento" is incorrect (he's a radio talk show host). The guy I was thinking about was called The Ghoul. He was the host for a horror movie every week in the early 70's on Channel 56. This guy:

Man, this is making me feel nostalgic.

We had Sammy Terry in Indianapolis in the 70s.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sammy_Terry

You people have issues 

god hates us all

i watched Inside Llewyn Davis this weekend.

This is my least favorite Coen brothers movie.  I hate being a critic but there were a few things I disliked.

- Carey Mulligans character and maybe her performance.  If her inappropriate anger about getting pregnant was supposed to reveal anything more than an unpleasant personality than she failed miserably.  I couldn't stand this woman.  Llewyn's patience in the face of her insanity is unbelievable.

- Llewyn's music.  All of the musical performances were good but Llewyn's style seems outside of it's time. His music has a more bluesy, organic sound than the mannered performances of his peers.  This makes sense, as he was an outsider in his own scene, but no one else seems to notice his music is different. He's an outsider because he refuses to accept bourgeois values not because of his music.  Musically, he's treated like any other paint by numbers folkie.

- The bookend scenes with the mysterious guy in the alley.  I don't need everything spelled out but I don't get it.  Maybe the worst thing is that I don't even feel like trying to understand.

The positives were that it looked and sounded good.  It was somewhat satisfying to see Dylan appear at the end.  I was honestly thinking the whole time about how he would single handedly destroy this stifling and rigid scene.  Thank God for Bob Dylan.  I think the scenes in the alley must allude to this somehow but like I said, I don't really feel like trying to figure it out.

Stoic was great flick, highly recommended.

BeeRunB

Fearless, directed by Peter Weir, is one of my favorites, and one of the great Jeff Bridges performances. With Rosie Perez, Isabella Rosellini, and Tom Hulce.

Weir is one of my favorite directors.

RunJasonRun

Fearless, directed by Peter Weir, is one of my favorites, and one of the great Jeff Bridges performances. With Rosie Perez, Isabella Rosellini, and Tom Hulce.

Weir is one of my favorite directors.

I love Peter Weir's early Australian movies.  Picnic at Hanging Rock and The Last Wave are both so eerie and amazing.

Witness and The Mosquito Coast are both outstanding 1980s films directed by Weir.

Most recently, I really enjoyed Weir's 2010 movie, The Way Back, which is based on The Long Walk by SÅ‚awomir Rawicz.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

I love Peter Weir's early Australian movies.  Picnic at Hanging Rock and The Last Wave are both so eerie and amazing.

Witness and The Mosquito Coast are both outstanding 1980s films directed by Weir.

Most recently, I really enjoyed Weir's 2010 movie, The Way Back, which is based on The Long Walk by SÅ‚awomir Rawicz.

The Truman Show, FTW.

Dave

RunJasonRun

The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)

I decided to get into the Memorial Day mindset a little early.  This is such a brilliant movie on so many levels, and the Technicolor images are quite spectacular.  I did not understand the end of this movie when I saw it during my childhood, but I get it now.

BeeRunB

The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)

I decided to get into the Memorial Day mindset a little early.  This is such a brilliant movie on so many levels, and the Technicolor images are quite spectacular.  I did not understand the end of this movie when I saw it during my childhood, but I get it now.

Good performance by Obiwan, and the best whistling song ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83bmsluWHZc&feature=kp

repeated in The Breakfast Club:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYEcYwtDZ1Y

RunJasonRun

After last night's run, I'm taking it easy today so that I can be completely over my cold by tomorrow. When I woke up this morning, I made a spur-of-the-moment decision to catch the 9:30 AM showing of X-Men: Days of Future Past, since the early bird catches the seven dollar showing and an uncrowded theater.

There's no point in writing a long-winded review of X-Men: Days of Future Past, since these movies either quicken your pulse or they don't. I've enjoyed this movie franchise over the years, although I was never particularly well-versed on the comic book storylines during my childhood. I had a blast watching this latest entry, and I recommend it as a solid summer flick. If, like me, you are not familiar with each and every mutant character in the X-Men universe and you do not spot each comic book reference, then it's best just to chill back and enjoy the ride of spectacular visual effects, awesomely destructive fight scenes, and occasional moments of intense drama. I am always impressed at the caliber of the actors in these films, namely Ian McKellen, Michael Fassbender, Patrick Stewart, Jennifer Lawrence, Ellen Page, James McAvoy,and Hugh Jackman. They all go the full nine yards to make their roles uncannily convincing.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

They all go the full nine yards to make their roles uncannily convincing.

Wait, I thought you didn't do comic references/puns? Wink

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do