Hanson's Marathon Project (Read 2149 times)

RE: HR and pace. The training books I've used all suggest use HR or pace, but not both. My anecdotal observations: I run hilly trails or snowy whatevers for 99% of my running. Pace would be way too complicated to use. My HR agrees with breathing and talk test, so I use that for logging. I run/hike using breathing as the guide but record HR since it's automatic. As I've gotten better trained, I still run at the same effort, but I'm going faster - and usually my recovery is faster. For perspective, a powerhike up a steep mountain might be close to 1-hr race effort (about 85ish% HRmax) - at least for the first half (about 55min uphill, about 1mi, 1500ft up; there's still another 1.2mi and another 1500ft to the top). An easy run is about 75% HRmax maybe at 14min/mi - so more that 2x as fast at less effort.

But I'm also very aware of goal of my training - whether it's cardio, LT (sorta), agility, downhill strength, uphill strength, leg speed, etc.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
    gooner2004

I've just got the book for Xmas and I'm pondering if to use the advanced plan for London 2013 or stick with the trusted p & d 55/70 schedule Which helped me break sub 3 in Oct.  Does anyone have a 60/80 plan they can share?

gooner2004

I've just got the book for Xmas and I'm pondering if to use the advanced plan for London 2013 or stick with the trusted p & d 55/70 schedule Which helped me break sub 3 in Oct.  Does anyone have a 60/80 plan they can share?

Mysecondnewname

bhearn:  many thanks for your analysis--extremely helpful.  (It's the usefulness of such posts that makes me glad I left the other place for good.)

It's a little disappointing such sloppiness made it through their editing process.  It makes you wonder what other errors didn't get caught by the authors.

My Spring training cycle is going to be based on their principles though, so we'll see how it goes.

NHLA

I liked the hanson's plan because it helped my pacing. All those MP runs beat the pace into you.

I live in the mts. so pace runs are hard. I marked off a two mile run by mud creek where its flat and went back and forth.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Santa brought me the book as well and about halfway done reading it. Plan really makes sense to me and if you bump mileage as they suggest on the easy days mileage very comparable to other plans like Pfitz. I plan to use it for my falll race this year.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Purdey

Self anointed title

The 10K times in this table are actually close to Purdey equivalents for the 5K times, though slightly slower. Good enough, I guess, but why be inconsistent? The columns in the Tempo Workout table (marathon vs. half marathon) also are close to Purdey values, and don't match the Race Equivalency chart.

I hadn't realised that I had written pace tables.....