Will adding cardio increase my endurance? (Read 199 times)

Fauzool

If say I’m currently running 6-7 days a week. If I also included 2-3 long very easy bikes rides in the blue later in the day would this help to increase my cardio endurance? as it stands right now I know I need to increase my endurance as my heart is just not as steady as I’d like it to be when running.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

my heart is just not as steady as I’d like it to be when running.

What do you mean by this?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Fauzool

What do you mean by this?

It fluctuates more than I like when I run I find a comfortable pace in the green but after awhile it will go into the yellow

CalBears

It fluctuates more than I like when I run I find a comfortable pace in the green but after awhile it will go into the yellow

Did you try to slow down to get to the green again? But that's a usual thing that happens to most of us - for example, when running a marathon, I might start at my target pace and my HR would be 160 bpm but by the end of the race to keep at the same pace I might have to go to 170 or 172 bpm. Or do you mean something else?

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Fauzool

Did you try to slow down to get to the green again? But that's a usual thing that happens to most of us - for example, when running a marathon, I might start at my target pace and my HR would be 160 bpm but by the end of the race to keep at the same pace I might have to go to 170 or 172 bpm. Or do you mean something else?

That’s correct that’s what I mean. I’m wondering if doing more cardio will improve my endurance for running

CalBears

That’s correct that’s what I mean. I’m wondering if doing more cardio will improve my endurance for running

Run more if you want more running endurance. Bike will not hurt and probably will help a little but, imho, it's not very effective - you will have to spend a lot of time on the bike with questionable efficiency. Run more, run easy, run slow if your HR is too high, it still will be more effective for running than bike.

Though, still do not understand what did you mean by "my heart is just not as steady"... What kind of steadiness you are looking for and why you think that steady is what you need to achieve?

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Fauzool

Run more if you want more running endurance. Bike will not hurt and probably will help a little but, imho, it's not very effective - you will have to spend a lot of time on the bike with questionable efficiency. Run more, run easy, run slow if your HR is too high, it still will be more effective for running than bike.

Though, still do not understand what did you mean by "my heart is just not as steady"... What kind of steadiness you are looking for and why you think that steady is what you need to achieve?

Well my issue is I don’t want to run too much and get injured so I want to possibly supplement with biking to help cardio. I’m a trail runner if that helps, but as far as steadiness just being able to maintain a consistent pace for longer periods of time because currently on treadmill I can run in green for 30 mins then it goes up. My heart rate slowly continues to go up when running so I think it has to do with my cardio endurance? It doesn’t jump around it used to but now it’s steadily slowly going up. With no changes in pace or incline

This is your answer.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Well my issue is I don’t want to run too much and get injured so I want to possibly supplement with biking to help cardio. I’m a trail runner if that helps, but as far as steadiness just being able to maintain a consistent pace for longer periods of time because currently on treadmill I can run in green for 30 mins then it goes up. My heart rate slowly continues to go up when running so I think it has to do with my cardio endurance? It doesn’t jump around it used to but now it’s steadily slowly going up. With no changes in pace or incline

Well you could mix things up a bit if you want to include biking to avoid injury...eg, a couple of shorter more intense bike rides each week with climb to raise the HR and strengthen the legs. It sounds like you’re running too fast if HR is going into yellow/threshold after 30min on the treadmill. It’ll be easier to build up mileage safely if the pace is slower...which will then improve your overall endurance.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

hunaracademyjpr

link spam

Pain is my friend

The best way to increase endurance is to run longer.  Not always is it running more miles.  When training for a 100 miler I never run more than a 50k to 50 miler.  But I will run more 5-8 hour runs. The longer you run at one time them more calories you will need to replace. Biking can help but will work some different muscles. The key is to slowly increase you mileage to avoid injury.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

St George marathon Oct 2:58

ATY 24 130.969 2022 2nd

Pulse endurance 12 hour 76.22 1ST CR

July Backyard ultra 22 yards Win

Sept Bear 100 24:08

jurekduda

Hallo, wer kann mir sagen, was ich noch tun kann, um meine Ausdauer zu verbessern?

shivaniroy

link spam