C'mon Pete! Give Me Some Credit! (Read 675 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I really like the running log at this site. Looking forward to a 13 miler tomorrow morning. I'v always considered my long run to be the longest run of the week, period. As I've developed, I kinda put a 12, maybe 13 mile limit on that, though. Pfitz doesn't even call it a long run until it hits 17 miles. For those that use this site's running log, at what point do you term something a "long run"?
      I really like the running log at this site. Looking forward to a 13 miler tomorrow morning. I'v always considered my long run to be the longest run of the week, period. As I've developed, I kinda put a 12, maybe 13 mile limit on that, though. Pfitz doesn't even call it a long run until it hits 17 miles. For those that use this site's running log, at what point do you term something a "long run"?
      Haha --- I'm reading Pfitz's book now (Advanced Marathoning), and I was surprised to see that a long run isn't considered so until 17 mi! It's a personal thing ---- I log it as a long run if it's over 10ish miles.
      2009: BQ?
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's a personal thing ---- I log it as a long run if it's over 10ish miles.
        What she said. When I first started running my longest run in a given week was my long run...so 18 months ago my long run was probably only 5 miles. Now 5 is an easy, short run. It's all relative. I'm planning to train for and run a marathon this year, so eventually my long run will be 2x what it is at the moment. My longest "long" run in '07 was about 16 miles. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Double-digit run would be a good bench mark. For me, it's a half-marathon or beyond.
            I'm on my second Pfitz training cycle. At first it's a little disheartening, but he does help you out with the "Medium Long" runs being 11-16. I started logging them as Pftiz labels them just to make comparing my progress to the plan a little easier. The positive side benefit for me is that I now consider the 11-16's relatively easy from a mental perspective.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Elitists. All of you. Six miles gives me a different color on my graph. Wootah.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Burninated Peasant

I run one run per week that is significantly longer than the others. This one gets labelled as the long run. At some points during the year, this may be 13 miles. At other points during the year, 13 miles might be a mid-week easy run.
                  last feb (just starting out again) 5 miles was long. for most of the year i was 5k training so 6-8 miles was long. by october (HM training) 12 miles was long. now (10k training) 10 miles is long. Pfitz may be right that 17 miles is "long" for marathon training. But if you aren't training for a marathon then the distinction seems a bit pointless?

Dave

I'm with Trishie. 10 miles. Really, anything I need to carry water for.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Queen of 3rd Place

For me, the long run is what I consider long enough vs. my regular weekly runs to be significantly more difficult. It is a hard workout relative to the rest. This helps me keep track of how many hard vs easy workouts I'm doing per week, keep track of what % of my miles per week are long, and how that affects my training, therefore it's a useful designation. So, yeah, in the beginning that was maybe 4 or 5 mi., now it's 10 or more. Arla

Ex runner

Long run is my effort, not the distance. How long that is will change depending upon what part of the season that I am in. If I am coming off of a month off from running, long might be 7 or 8 miles. If I'm about to start a taper for a marathon, long might be 22-30 miles.

Run to Win
                        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Dog-Love

I just posted a 7.5 mile run as a LONG run since it took me so damn LONG to finish it!!!!! Be gone snow!
                          Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Hawt and sexy

My long run is on Sunday. Big grin I would say it has to be 16 miles or greater, but I have hit 16 miles regularly as a med-long run so I will stick with Sunday. Unless my schedule says it has to be Saturday. And hi and stuff. Miss me?

I'm touching your pants.

Depends on what I'm doing like others said. If i'm base building it may just be 10-15 miles. If I'm marathon training it will get between 15-over 20.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

If I'm half maraton training it's 8 miles everyother week then longer the other weeks. If I'm marathon training it's probably 10 miles everyother week and longer the others. I still call them long because they are the longest run of the week even though they probably could be called recovery runs. 17 miles! that would leave me with like 4 long runs per year. Roll eyes

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.