Help Me Decide - Mountain Bike or Road Bike? (Read 376 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Went for my first ride with DW this past Wednesday...LOVED it!  Though I'm not sure if it was the riding itself or just the time spent speeding along with her!

About to head out on my first "clipped-in" ride.  Practiced a little on the lawn, seemed to go fine.  Here's hoping I don't fall over on my knee and derail my marathon training!

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Muwahahahahaha!!!  I was pretty sure you'd be smitten. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Water bottle and bottle cage? Or did that come with the bike?

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Water bottle and bottle cage? Or did that come with the bike?

Had a bottle cage put on this past trip to the bike shop, in fact.  Got a few bottles around here I can use.

Clipping in/out went fine...I'd seen DW do it enough that I had kind of an idea.  I think if I ever do fall doing it, it will be because I've accidentally clipped in - it didn't take long for my feet to just "know" where they're supposed to go and press down when they get there - and then I try to stick my foot out to catch myself and find it glued to the pedal.  But, it hasn't happened yet, knock on wood!

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That bike is HOT!!  And I am so envious of your complete lack of snow and conditions conducive to shorts and short-sleeves!

~ Sarah Kay

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

That bike is HOT!!  

Thanks, and thanks to you and the others in this thread who helped convince me to get it!  I've got a half-marathon coming up in Little Rock that I plan to race as a tune up/benchmark for my goal marathon in OKC at the end of April.  The day before, there's a race in North Little Rock that my wife wants to ride.  It would be kind of dumb for me to enter, even as a "just for the experience" kind of thing, being that it's the day before an important foot race...but I gotta admit, I'm still severely tempted to do it, partly because I'm anxious to show off the bike!  

Yeah...I guess I won't say much about the weather around here yesterday, and for the rest of the week.  I understand you folks up north, especially in the Midwest, are still getting pounded - the weather guy used the term "thunder ice" this morning, and while that sounds like an awesome name for a hockey team, it sounds terrible for anyone's training, on a bike or otherwise.  I'm very sorry, so I won't gloat about how it feels outside at this very moment.

(don't worry...you guys will get to point and laugh plenty over the summer, when we'll have long stretches of time that the temp doesn't get below the boiling point of skin)

kimberlypollman

Spam
                AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

You need an airhorn to scare runners. It's good for them; it helps keep their heart rates up, so they get out of the slow fat-burning zone.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You need an airhorn to scare runners. It's good for them; it helps keep their heart rates up, so they get out of the slow fat-burning zone.

We've thought about one of these to get the 13 year old boy out of bed in the AM (he stays up reading until too late, then it's a battle to get his scrawny ass to wake up).  The only thing stopping us is that I don't really want to have to wash his bedding every day after he wets/shits himself.

~ Sarah Kay

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

We've thought about one of these to get the 13 year old boy out of bed in the AM (he stays up reading until too late, then it's a battle to get his scrawny ass to wake up).  The only thing stopping us is that I don't really want to have to wash his bedding every day after he wets/shits himself.

LOL, I totally bought one of those for my wife, and she LOVES it!  They are every bit as loud as advertised...she wanted it so that she'd have something to angrily blast at cars that pass too close, and to scare off dogs.

Me, I'm not too interested...I don't mind giving up a bottle cage, but I don't like having the tube routed up to the horn.  Also, the included mount is for the smaller-diameter handlebars; she was able to get it on hers by removing the mount from the horn, but that removes the ability to secure it so that it stays in the same position.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, it seems cumbersome, even though there are times when I really wished I had one.  For all those jackasses who honk behind me, assuming I can't hear them -- I'd like to honk right back.  Dumb cagers, I'm not encased by glass, metal, plastic, and sound insulation.  I can hear their car better than they can.

~ Sarah Kay