Need some "gadgetry" advice.... (Read 1173 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Anybody? What if you already know how to do "a" through "c" without a HRM
    How do you know? And I just got a 305 because it was cheaper than the 205.
      Anybody? What if you already know how to do "a" through "c" without a HRM and you don't care about "d"?
      I can't find my trails on most mapping sites, so the Garmin is the only way to go.
      Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

Why is it sideways?

Now we're way off topic, but how long a trail run is often has little to do with the distance of a trail run. If you catch my drift. They're as different as Aristotelian place and Cartesian space.
        mikeymike

I'm just sayin' he said a HRM is useful for ANYBODY. I'm part of anybody and I don't need it. That's all.

Runners run

mikeymike

I can't find my trails on most mapping sites, so the Garmin is the only way to go.
            I agree. Trails are a great application for a GPS. But that still has nothing to do with a HRM.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

From jtupper (Dr. Jack Daniels) on letsrun:
              HR can be useful, but also misleading. On a hot day for example HR is not accurately reflecting how hard you are working. Under these conditions, more blood is being diverted to the periphery in hopes of cooling the core and this means to maintain the same blood flow to the exercising muscles, total cardiac output must increase. Of course, if you adjust pace to accommodate HR, then you are at the desired HR but certainly not at the same intensity of running -- the running muscles are under-achieving. Same would be true if dehydrated -- less blood volume and usually less stroke volume, which, again means increasig HR to keep up the desired cardiac output.
              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

HRM are by no mean a completely necessary training tool, and used improperly can lead to ineffective training. However, assuming a very similar price between the devices, I still think it's a better idea to get it. Your mileage may vary, but in my line of work (engineering), I have often found myself wishing that I had more data, and have bemoaned decisions made purely on the basis of cost that later turned out to deprive of us sources of information that would have been incredibly useful. I have rarely if ever found myself complaining about too much information or data and wishing I didn't have it.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I find that is the case even with our paved rail trails. They aren't on the most recent version of Google Maps, which is one reason Eric didn't upgrade to the latest version. Others had similar issues. We have roads in our area that also don't show--paved roads, not 2-tracks. I have routes I like, but don't use because I don't want to deal with guesstimating where they are when I map and log my runs. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent, Where did you get your 305 and how much did you end up paying for it if you don't mind my asking??
                    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "WOW... WHAT A RIDE!!!" Muskingum College XC
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

That is better that what I got: Nerds.net Cost = $205 Shipping = $0 Google Checkout benefit (never to be used again) = -$10 Power Bar Rebate = -$50 Total Cost = $145 Rebate has been processed and will be sent within the next month. I have the rebate form if'n anybody needs it...

Prophet!

That is better that what I got: Nerds.net Cost = $205 Shipping = $0 Google Checkout benefit (never to be used again) = -$10 Power Bar Rebate = -$50 Total Cost = $145 Rebate has been processed and will be sent within the next month. I have the rebate form if'n anybody needs it...
                        that should be theNerds.net right trent ?
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

yeah, that. I did a goole price search and they came out on top.
                            Has anyone used one of the Timex GPS watches?