My middle outside bottom of my foot hurts when walking since monday afternoon- have stopped running (Read 86 times)

mk885

HI

My middle outside bottom of right foot has been hurting when i walk on it since Monday.

It started hurting on Mon afternoon - most of pain is in middle outside bottom and sometimes side of foot up to ankle... general pain mostly when walking, hurts enough to cause me to try limit walking and stop running.

I started taking advil yesterday and i am icing 15 min in morning before work and then after work at night and have reduced my walking and stopped my running.

I have not increased mileage, running ~100miles a month 4x a week since Aug; I ran 10 miles on Sun in 15 deg weather and my feet were very cold while I was running for the first 20 minutes until i warmed up- not sure if that could have contributed to issue

From reading, it seems like it could be peroneal tendon that is hurting at middle bottom side of foot where it

Any thoughts on what it could be, what i can try do to address?

I have not gone to see anyone because I am hoping that it would feel better and not sure who to go see.

Thanks in advance for help,

Mike

SMART Approach

Sounds like a stress response from your cold long run. No time to panic. Many times these things come up in runners and resolve themselves within 7 days. As long as you notice steady progress, you will be good. Continue to take it easy and cross train until pain free.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

bhearn

Yeah, sounds like peroneus brevis tendon. If so you'll need to give it some time.

Marky_Mark_17

Could be the peroneus brevis tendon, as bhearn has suggested.  Could also be that you've locked your cuboid bone up - I got fatigued at the end of a long run in cold, wet conditions last winter and that was what happened to me (similar symptoms to what you describe).  Easy enough for an osteopath or physio to unlock.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Years ago I battled this.  The only thing that helped was moving to really flexible shoes.  Eventually I went from mild posting to neutral, too.  As soon as I run in anything without a lot of flex it comes back.  Some people have the opposite experience.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Lane

Easy enough to unlock yourself.  My sister is an athletic trainer and told me how over the phone when I had a problem.  Hold your cuboid up towards the top of your foot with one hand and flex your toes with the other hand.  Do it a couple times a day for a week or two.  Near instant relief if that’s your problem.  I’m sure there are YouTube videos on how to do it.

Could also be that you've locked your cuboid bone up... Easy enough for an osteopath or physio to unlock.