Spring is coming! (Read 775 times)

I wimped out on my run this morning because I've basically had enough of winter. It was dark and cold with just a bit of freezing rain thrown in for good measure. When I got home from work this afternoon, the skies were sunny and the temperature was a blistering 51 degrees. Even though I am definitely not an afternoon runner I couldn't resist. I chose shorts, a long sleeve tech shirt and spent way too much time looking for a pair of short socks before heading out for my first afternoon run in eleven years. The weather was great but the run sucked. My body is definitely wired for morning running since it took me a full 2.5 miles to get into a comfortable pace. I'm glad I went but I won't be doing any more afternoon runs in the near future. Come on spring! Tom

SMART Approach

Tom, Based on everything slowing at night, I would think it would take you longer to get going in a.m. I enjoy morning runs but have to get on floor and do some abs/bicycles to get the blood flowing. I love late afternoon runs. I eat a light lunch, the stomach feels good, my energy is at its highest and the body and joints feel all lubricated and ready to roll. Got up to whopping 39 degrees today after another inch and half of snow in Green Bay. We broke all time snow fall record here. Like around 80 inches. Most in over 100 years. Last year we had 18 inches. I am tired of it!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Prince of Fatness

I'm an afternoon guy, too. Because of my work schedule I have more time to run in the afternoon than I do in the morning. There's nothing like a nice run to help unwind after a long day at work. If I am off work I do run in the morning, but I can't get up and go right out the door. I need to be up for close to an hour before I go out. This winter hasn't been that bad here in NJ. March so far has been worse than January and February ... very windy the last few weeks.

Not at it at all. 

Yayyy... it'll be 80+ this weekend over here. Angry
            Todd: I know our Circadian rhythms are supposed to be at a high in the afternoon but it doesn't seem to work for me. I think I've managed to reprogram mine with all of the morning running. We are part Yooper and my wife's dad is reporting 48 inches of snow in the lower part of the UP. It's probably everything that was going too fast to land in Green Bay. MrPHinNJ: I'm a designer and have a pretty stress free job. Basically all I do is sit around and be creative all day. I'm mentally exhausted at the end of the day but I don't need much unwinding time. Tom
              Oh, yea, the Osprey's are back. Sure sign it's spring. And the hummers will be here within weeks. Yes, I'm a bird freak.

- Anya

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Two 40 degree days in a row here, it was awesome. First time since mid November. Had to go out in shorts and t-shirt. Only problem, snowmelt leaving some lakes on my running course (probably 10-14 strides in 3 inch water). But oh so happy that the sweats are almost in the closet again
                  I'm definitely an evening / afternoon runner, but I'm hoping to change to a morning runner in April. The snow has driven people over the edge around here. Making the news, neighbors having snowblower wars by blowing snow in each others driveways. Some guy pulled a gun on his neighbor for taking a freshly cleared parking space. 4 inches short of an altime record season snowfall. With another possible month left for snow. Alot of people hoping to break the record. Talk about BATTY!

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Spring is definitely on its way. It's light out in the evenings! Yeah! Canada Geese have started returning from the States! Green Poo! Ick! Boo! You can keep 'em. I hear they're good eatin'. Wink I can't seem to run in the mornings. I feel like I am too stressed and my heartrate goes up. I really like my afternoon runs and it has been great, except for the dump of snow that hasn't been cleared off the streets yet. Argh! I am going to complain to my municipal councillors about the condition of the sidewalks. They should think about us runners. Enjoy the longer days / runs.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Lisa3.1

Yes, it's def. Spring, it was in the fifties today. YAY
                        Oh, I hear you completely. Bring on the sun and warmth!
                        "Some people create with words or with music or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run. I like to make people stop and say, 'I've never seen anyone run like that before.' It's more than just a race, it's a style. It's doing something better than anyone else. It's being creative." - prefontaine
                        kcam

You poor devils. It's been in the 50's here all winter. Now enjoying low 60's. Running in California kicks ass.
                            You poor devils. It's been in the 50's here all winter. Now enjoying low 60's. Running in California kicks ass.
                            Tell us about it this July / August Big grin

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

My body is definitely wired for morning running since it took me a full 2.5 miles to get into a comfortable pace. I'm glad I went but I won't be doing any more afternoon runs in the near future. Come on spring! Tom
                              I'm right there with you Tom!! The later it gets, the harder it is to get out there...and then it doesn't feel as energized for some reason.
                                The snow has driven people over the edge around here. Some guy pulled a gun on his neighbor for taking a freshly cleared parking space.
                                I thought you Canadians were peace loving people. Wink