Possible explanation to the hiccup (Read 1595 times)

eric :)

RA was slow at best or even unresponsive yesterday.  I've seen this problem before but it occurred so sporadically (once every month or so) that I don't have enough information to track down the problem.

Yesterday, the problem occurred once every couple of hours.  I don't know what precipitated it since the code hasn't changed in a couple of weeks.  I was able to correlate the occurrence of the problems to a warning in the system log.  It's rather cryptic and Microsoft's documentation suggested I restart the web service when this happens but obviously it is not a viable solution.

I did eventually come up with a hypothesis to the cause.  It is a timing issue with the various programs that support the web server.  This problem occurs only when these programs get into a certain state at the same time.  I modified the web server's configuration which should reduce the frequency in which these program getting into this state.  Now we'll have to wait and see if it indeed fixes the problem.

The shirtless wonder

<grin> It's fun reading a software developer's "dumbed down" explanation of events.  Everything becomes so generic because saying things how they are would confuse the vast majority of people beyond belief.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

RA was slow at best or even unresponsive yesterday.  I've seen this problem before but it occurred so sporadically (once every month or so) that I don't have enough information to track down the problem.

Yesterday, the problem occurred once every couple of hours.  I don't know what precipitated it since the code hasn't changed in a couple of weeks.  I was able to correlate the occurrence of the problems to a warning in the system log.  It's rather cryptic and Microsoft's documentation suggested I restart the web service when this happens but obviously it is not a viable solution.

I did eventually come up with a hypothesis to the cause.  It is a timing issue with the various programs that support the web server.  This problem occurs only when these programs get into a certain state at the same time.  I modified the web server's configuration which should reduce the frequency in which these program getting into this state.  Now we'll have to wait and see if it indeed fixes the problem.

Thanks for the explanation. Did not get it Smile but thanks for your hard work.Cool

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

I just figured it was your way of telling us to stop blathering on the boards and go do some running.  Smile

"We are not talking about gorse-bushes," said Owl crossly. "I am," said Pooh.
          LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I didn't run into the problem, but I can see how it would cause a lot of frustration, since we're all so dependent on RA!

Just curious Eric; why aren't you running on Linux?

It's not my best write up, that's for sure.  It's very hard to omit the technical info.  The post would make much more sense if I provided the details, but then it'll be completely nonsensical to most people.  I just wanted to keep everyone in the loop on what happened, and that I'm doing my best to keep the site running smoothly.

LedLincoln: every system has its pros and cons.  While a Linux platform is cheaper to start, the development tools on Windows can't be beat.  It costs more upfront, but I end up saving a lot of time, which is the most important for a one person shop.

I would be curious to what microsoft development tools you think can't be beat.

xor

I would be curious to what microsoft development tools you think can't be beat.

I'm a big Notepad fan.

I guess we are completely different types of developers, because I prefer VI.

xor

I once built a text editor from scratch because I was bored.

Please let me know the next time you're bored Big grin

xor

Heh.  There's a reason why I haven't written code in years.  I'm only slightly better at coding than trail running.  It takes me twice as long as normal developers and I fall a lot.

Hey, as long as you catch yourself while you are falling. Although, I have turned something in and my boss signed off on it, but it was not working from the get-go (it looked like it was). That was a bit embarrassing when it came back. Good thing it was my first couple months on the job. Just chalk that one to inexperience.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm a big Notepad fan.

Heh.