My Marathon Training (Read 1390 times)

Very impressive indeed. Awesome work. Good luck.
    And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves. - Spartacus

Thanks for that post and follow up. Would you comment on eating/weight? Every time I increase mileage I eat in excess, and gain weight, which I think is counter productive when the goal is better race times. Did you have similar issues? Thanks
      Thanks everybody for your compliments and well wishes; I appreciate the moral support. Big grin My training schedule had a decent amount of speedwork, basically falling into four categories: LT (tempo) runs, intervals, marathon-paced runs, and races. The LT runs were the most common; I ran one of these every other week while base building, and then pretty much every week during my endurance phase. The tempo portions started at 4 miles, building up to 7 miles. I aimed to run these at or below HM pace. The intervals started in the second half of the schedule, and I would do one of these per week. They started with 6x600, then built to 6x1000, 6x1200 and I'll do one 3x1600 during my taper. These are run at 5K pace. My schedule only had two marathon-paced runs, but they are tough workouts. I did one 16 mile long run with 12 miles at MP, and one 18 mile long run with 15 miles at MP. I ran these at or under my BQ pace. Finally, I did about 6 races during or right before my training cycle. I treated the 5Ks as "really hard" interval workouts for purposes of scheduling and recovery, and similarly I treated the 10K, 10 mile, and HM races as "really hard" LT runs. For what its worth, I consider my two best workouts of the entire cycle as (1) my half-marathon race, and (2) my 18/15 marathon-paced run. I feel that I made noticeable fitness breakthroughs shortly after completing these two workouts respectively. I did a little hill work while traveling, but not as much as I'd have liked in a perfect world. I'm a little worried about my quads holding up, but I'm hoping my huge base will compensate to get me to the finish line in one piece. If my legs are trashed after the race, so be it as long as I BQ. Evil grin

Another Passion

Great stuff, Berner, both the facts and your training. Folks on here never cease to amaze me with their drive, determination, and dedication, and you are certainly in the forefront of those folks! All the best to you in your upcoming race and quest for a BQ. You have prepared amazingly well! Good luck!

Rick
        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Mishka-old log

Hey, Berner! That was a very good read. Thanks for sharing. You got another fan here wishing you the best and eagerly awaiting your kick ass performance at St. George.
            Would you comment on eating/weight? Every time I increase mileage I eat in excess, and gain weight, which I think is counter productive when the goal is better race times. Did you have similar issues?
            When I started this training cycle I weighed around 160, and that came down steadily as my mileage increased. If anything, I had some difficulties increasing my calorie consumption to keep up with the increased mileage. However, I think that might be a by-product of my past history of weight issues; I tend to be overly conscious of my eating. I am very restrictive on food when I'm in training mode, and as I increased my mileage this summer, I was very deliberate and conservative about adding additional snacks and increasing portion sizes. I never changed what I ate; merely how often and how much of it. I was actually a bit worried that my weight would drop near unhealthy territory. However, after bottoming out at around 148, I seem to have now stabilized in the 152-154 range and have held there for several consecutive weeks. I expect to hit the starting line at St. George at around 152. My racing weight for my three other marathons was 156, 160, and 156 respectively. I will take this opportunity to confess, however, that during my 100 mile week I did eat an entire blueberry pie. By myself. In one day. Blush

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

dork.major dork.

I will take this opportunity to confess, however, that during my 100 mile week I did eat an entire blueberry pie. By myself. In one day. Blush
              Oh. Good. You are human. I was beginning to wonder. Wink

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

Mishka-old log

I will take this opportunity to confess, however, that during my 100 mile week I did eat an entire blueberry pie. By myself. In one day. Blush
                Kudos. On Saturday, I didn't work out, but I watched football and ate a pizza. 1600 calories and gobs of saturated fat. But my marathon's not for another 6-1/2 weeks.

Another Passion

Sweet! Both as an exclamation of appreciation and literally. That TOTALLY sounds like something I would do! Big grin

Rick
                  "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                  "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                  runningforcassy.blogspot.com

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Thanks for the reply. I will be filing this away with the other articles / posts I've saved from here for future reference. Good luck in your BQ Quest! (Although it doesn't look like you'll need much of it!)
                      And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves. - Spartacus

Into the wild

Respect Berner; that had to hurt on many occasions.

Shut up and run

I have not read your O post yet Berner, but congrats on the mileage and weight. Everyone seems to preach the higher mileage consistency to run faster marathons, so I am wondering what time you hope to reach in your race.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sweet! Both as an exclamation of appreciation and literally. That TOTALLY sounds like something I would do! Big grin
                            When in MI... Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Berner, good luck on the 4th! Those were some great posts...lots of gems in there Smile Thanks for taking the time to post. 100 mile week = whole blueberry pie!!!!!! Dang, guess I'll have to settle for a Pop tart Tongue

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                              Thyroid Support Group

Great job, Berner. I see a well-deserved BQ on the way and look forward to reading all about it.
                                Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33