recommendations on marathon training (Read 249 times)

laurita

hi

I started checking today how would it be the schedule during the week in order to train for a full marathon. I was  a bit surprised on how different seem to be the personalized one that i came up with on Runner's World (running 3 times a week, including a speed or tempo run) and any of the Hal Higdon programs (running 5 times a week and optional sor of tempo by doing the 3/1 strategy) wich i was told are the best ones.

Ive been running since i discovered how much i enjoy it in mid 2009. I stopped running for a few months in 2010 and it was a real challenge to start again. In 2012 i started boxing, a friend says that when i explain the stuff we do in class it looks a lot like her crossfit class.  Anyways, i was hoping to get any recommendations on how to switch and start training for a full marathon now.

Half Marathon Races so far:

Conway, October 2009: 1:54:45 - 12 weeks of training, i was working lots of hours and basically i was running 5 mi 2 times a week and doing a long run on the weekends

Houston, December 2011: 1:53:49.30 - 16 week training program (runner's world)

Austin, February 2013:- 1:44:01 - 7 week training program (runner's world)

thanks and happy runs

I'd check out the running wizard.

Good luck

Feeling the growl again

I would take a look at RunningWizard or Hansons.  However, from your log IMHO you are not ready to start a marathon training plan yet.  Any reasonable plan will require you to run at least triple what you average now (in the teens per week).  I know there are plans out there that give you a number in the 20s, but I don't consider those reasonable.

Take a few months first and focus on running more.  When 30-odd mpw is comfortable for several weeks in a row, you are ready to start thinking about going into a plan.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

laurita

Thank you! I noticed that any of the programs start you already doing like 9mi long run on your very first week!! So i was sort of planning (based on the preliminar schedules i found today) to do just like i did in 2011 and as Spaniel recommends, working on getting somewhere as a good base and then start the actual program maybe around june this year. For my 2nd half marathon i wanted to be able to run at least 3mi easy run and a total of 12-15 mi for the week. So maybe for the marathon pre-training i should hit for 30mi a week. Do you think i should include tempo runs? What would be a good first goal for the long runs? Thanks again!
          zonykel

Thank you! I noticed that any of the programs start you already doing like 9mi long run on your very first week!! So i was sort of planning (based on the preliminar schedules i found today) to do just like i did in 2011 and as Spaniel recommends, working on getting somewhere as a good base and then start the actual program maybe around june this year. For my 2nd half marathon i wanted to be able to run at least 3mi easy run and a total of 12-15 mi for the week. So maybe for the marathon pre-training i should hit for 30mi a week. Do you think i should include tempo runs? What would be a good first goal for the long runs? Thanks again!

Most good coaches, and programs won't just randomly start you at 9 miles for the long run. They will consider where you are today, and progressively take you to higher and higher mileage, within your ability.

As for tempo,if you wanted to do some out and backs and try to up the pace on the back part, that would be good. Throw in some striders once in a while too. As for your long run, it depends on what you're doing now... your ultimate long run distance will depend on your pace because you can't just say go out and run 20 miles if it will take you 5 hours. Many programs limit that by time otherwise you're too beat up.

laurita

hello!! i read about the running wizard and when finally decided to go and get it i got this message>

Validation of viewstate MAC failed. If this application is hosted by a Web Farm or cluster, ensure that <machineKey> configuration specifies the same validationKey and validation algorithm. AutoGenerate cannot be used in a cluster.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Validation of viewstate MAC failed. If this application is hosted by a Web Farm or cluster, ensure that <machineKey> configuration specifies the same validationKey and validation algorithm. AutoGenerate cannot be used in a cluster.

Source Error:

<code>An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.</code>

any practical ideas on how to solve the problem?

thanks!!

an amazing likeness

Those error messages are from a minor configuration problem on the hosting web server(s). I'll be it's already resolved. Give www.running-wizard.com another try, it's working for me right now.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Sultan of slug

I had great luck with Pfitzinger's 18/55 plan. I was running 30-40 miles per week for a couple months before starting it, and I jumped in on the 6th week. I was probably borderline-overtrained for a few weeks, but I quickly adapted and became way, way faster.

ud32

Those error messages are from a minor configuration problem on the hosting web server(s). I'll be it's already resolved. Give www.running-wizard.com another try, it's working for me right now.

Running wizard was great - I'd use it again.

laurita

thanks for sharing everybody! awesome that you got faster, i will check out that plan, i never heard of it before and last time i tried to use the running wizard it did not like my credit card Sad, i still want to try one more time so i can actually see how it would be..

anyways, for how long you trained for your race DCloafer? was it 18 weeks? iam starting to run more, trying to get used to it, i have 2 weeks in a row now,  not really following any program , but i really want to find one that consideres my current level and takes me from here to the marathon haha

I had great luck with Pfitzinger's 18/55 plan. I was running 30-40 miles per week for a couple months before starting it, and I jumped in on the 6th week. I was probably borderline-overtrained for a few weeks, but I quickly adapted and became way, way faster.