Sweaty Runners: What is the best shirt?? (Read 1117 times)

tenminmis

dri soft and stay dr and dri fit andi dri-dri.....none, I have found, is any good good! problem: lotsa shirts wick it away from your body but then they RETAIN the water and you wind up carrying it all the way till you're done with the run. I'm talking lotsa sweat here, so if you're the type who "glistens" when you run, you are not hte guy I need advice from. this goes for shorts also, same issue. So if there are any heavy wetters.....you know what I mean....who have a favorite, share it please. tenminmis

Menace to Sobriety

Yep, they all wick pretty good, but the moisture has to have somewhere to go. On a treadmill, with now airflow, it just runs through the fabric and to the floor. Running over the ground is almost as bad, but at least running creates some air movement and all the sweat isn't falling in the same place. If the humidity is high, even outdoors can be pretty messy. I'm in the same boat you are and haven't found a solution yet, other than to change shirts during workouts on the really bad days.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yep. Indoors and/or high humidity = wicking that doesn't do much. But it still beats cotton. At least you won't chafe (as much).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mbk

I'm the kind of guy that sweats in winter and can finish a workout in 30 degree weather with a wet hat and shirt. In the summer it looks like I jumped into a swimming pool. Unfortunately I haven't found any solution - in fact, I haven't been looking because I assume there is no solution. I always wear a hat and wristband to keep the sweat out of my eyes, and on longer runs I'll wear a bandana to keep cool and to wipe my face. I keep several blankets in the trunk of my car so I can protect my seats after a long run. Other than that, there is no secret out there, I just sweat and stay wet. I do find that sweating reduces my need for chapstick and body glide, so that is a positive, but I hate it when I sweat so much that my shoes squish. I wish I could offer you some hope but I don't think it is available. There is a guy I train with who sweats even more than me. We call him Sponge Bob Squishy Pants. Sucks to be him.

Menace to Sobriety

ditto on the squishy shoes.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

When it is cooler out and I run over 12 miles, I will wear two shirts, a short sleeved one atop a long sleeved one. Halfway through a run, I take off the long sleeved shirt, and wrap it around my waist. The short sleeved shirt seems to stay fairly dry up until this point. When it's hot out, I wring my shirt out and wear it around my neck until my torso dries off.

Vim

I'm the kind of guy that sweats in winter and can finish a workout in 30 degree weather with a wet hat and shirt. In the summer it looks like I jumped into a swimming pool. Unfortunately I haven't found any solution - in fact, I haven't been looking because I assume there is no solution. I always wear a hat and wristband to keep the sweat out of my eyes, and on longer runs I'll wear a bandana to keep cool and to wipe my face. I keep several blankets in the trunk of my car so I can protect my seats after a long run. Other than that, there is no secret out there, I just sweat and stay wet. I do find that sweating reduces my need for chapstick and body glide, so that is a positive, but I hate it when I sweat so much that my shoes squish. I wish I could offer you some hope but I don't think it is available. There is a guy I train with who sweats even more than me. We call him Sponge Bob Squishy Pants. Sucks to be him.
                Jeez, Marshall, you must be my long-lost twin. I could have written this word for word. I have pretty much given up, too - the only change I made was moving from cotton shirts to technical shirts... and I will NEVER go back to cotton. Basically, it is what it is. The squishy shoes are definitely a pain, though. Contributes to blisters some times, and it's really just gross wringing out socks and creating a puddle.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

mbk

Jeez, Marshall, you must be my long-lost twin. I could have written this word for word. I have pretty much given up, too - the only change I made was moving from cotton shirts to technical shirts... and I will NEVER go back to cotton. Basically, it is what it is. The squishy shoes are definitely a pain, though. Contributes to blisters some times, and it's really just gross wringing out socks and creating a puddle.
                  Where were you born? Wink I like your "Why I Started Running" quote!
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm the kind of guy that sweats in winter and can finish a workout in 30 degree weather with a wet hat and shirt. In the summer it looks like I jumped into a swimming pool. Unfortunately I haven't found any solution - in fact, I haven't been looking because I assume there is no solution. I always wear a hat and wristband to keep the sweat out of my eyes, and on longer runs I'll wear a bandana to keep cool and to wipe my face. I keep several blankets in the trunk of my car so I can protect my seats after a long run. Other than that, there is no secret out there, I just sweat and stay wet. I do find that sweating reduces my need for chapstick and body glide, so that is a positive, but I hate it when I sweat so much that my shoes squish.
                    Do you guys need a triplet sister? I do ALL of my runs with a cotton hanky...in the warmer months to help wipe sweat before it gets in my eyes (this is WITH a wicking hat), in the Winter for sweat and snot. I also wear a wicking wristband under my Garmin to keep it from sliding all over on my wrist and being damaged from too much moisture. Any time I drive to and from a running location I bring a towel to sit on. After an hour long run in heat without any fluids I can easily drop 3-5#s, so I'm losing up to 16oz of sweat/mile. Pretty gross.

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I'm so sweaty I just left a butt-stain on my chair from reading this thread. Tongue As far as squishy shoes -- I alternate shoes every day. When one pair of shoes is "resting", I take out the liners and give them a chance to breathe. Nice dry shoes the next time I wear 'em. When they get soaked from rain or snow, I stuff 'em with newspaper during the rest day. Pull the moisture out nicely.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Ya'all are like my long lost relatives. I'm a "sweaty Betty" too!

TRUST THE PROCESS

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ya'all are like my long lost relatives. I'm a "sweaty Betty" too!
                          Heh, when we ran together I think the 2 of us accounted for 90% of the sweat combined in your town on that day. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Probably! Big grin I think they are still in shock by having two women running in skirts!

TRUST THE PROCESS

Do you guys need a triplet sister? I do ALL of my runs with a cotton hanky...in the warmer months to help wipe sweat before it gets in my eyes (this is WITH a wicking hat), in the Winter for sweat and snot.
                              You are one sexy, classy broad. Wink

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You are one sexy, classy broad. Wink
                                I get that ALL the time. Seriously. Ok, not really. Blush

~ Sarah Kay