Important (Read 1503 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My crockpot is currently full of white beans and water, set to 8 hours.  Later, this evening, I will likely dump in a jar of salsa.  Add some salt about 30 minutes before serving.  We will feed the family of 4 1/2 and have ample leftovers, all for a grand total of about ~$5. Some smashed potatoes* on the side and you have yourself a filling winter meal fit for the gray flurry-filled day here in Nashville.

Yep.  Costco apparently is saving us money.

* Smashed potatoes: new potatoes diced coarsely, boiled and lightly smashed (skin and all) with milk, butter, salt and maybe garlic, cheese, herbs to taste.  Also dirt cheap and tasty, but not really requiring anything from Costco.

ymmv

bet that would be good with a frontega chicken panini sandwich

Hey, nice marmot!

My crockpot is currently full of white beans and water, set to 8 hours.  Later, this evening, I will likely dump in a jar of salsa.  Add some salt about 30 minutes before serving.  We will feed the family of 4 1/2 and have ample leftovers, all for a grand total of about ~$5. Some smashed potatoes* on the side and you have yourself a filling winter meal fit for the gray flurry-filled day here in Nashville.

Hold on, lemme get this straight.  For dinner tonight, you'll be having beans, salsa, and potatoes.

Aren't you supposed to be a doctor?  I mean, a real doctor who spent hundreds of years in school studying really hard subjects in order to understand the intricacies of the human body.  And for all that, your reward is beans, salsa, and potatoes?!

Look, now I've been reassured by politicans AND television that doctors have totally rock and roll lifestyles.  You spend your days golfing in your BMW with three martini lunches while women with surgically enhanced busts flash you in the hope you'll return an approving nod.  Dinners consist of caviar and Christal and evenings are filled with high priced hookers and blow.  Nowhere in this model is there a place for beans and salsa.

Your life experiences are at odds with my precious, precious stereotypes and are making me uncomfortable.  Please purchase a BMW ASAP.  Thank you. 

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I drive an 11 year old Toyota.  The small one.
          xor

I want to ask a generic crockpot question and I suppose that doing that in p7 of a thread entitled "Important" is the place to do it.  The following is a serious question by a newbie.

I live by myself.  Is a crockpot safe enough to turn on and leave brewin' while I'm not around during the day watching it?

I remember when I was in college a unique story about a friend who left his crockpot on and came home to a cracked lid and some nastiness, though not a fire or anything like that.  Of course, this one story from one individual (who might have been dense enough not to add liquid, etc) has blown up in my head and has always made me leery of leaving on cooking implements-of-destruction while I'm away.  Don't want to come home to smoldering embers. 

I know, not very logical.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes, very safe.  Just make sure to err on the side of too much liquid.

I want to ask a generic crockpot question and I suppose that doing that in p7 of a thread entitled "Important" is the place to do it.  The following is a serious question by a newbie.

I live by myself.  Is a crockpot safe enough to turn on and leave brewin' while I'm not around during the day watching it?

I remember when I was in college a unique story about a friend who left his crockpot on and came home to a cracked lid and some nastiness, though not a fire or anything like that.  Of course, this one story from one individual (who might have been dense enough not to add liquid, etc) has blown up in my head and has always made me leery of leaving on cooking implements-of-destruction while I'm away.  Don't want to come home to smoldering embers. 

I know, not very logical.

It is safe if you don't do what I did last week...

threw in 3lbs of meat to make a beef strouganoff...turned it on low.  (unknown at the time was UNPLUGGED)

left for the day.

wife comes home and makes the noodles to go along with it and then leaves for a meeting.

11 yr old son makes himself a plate....tries a bite...says to himself, hmmm cold....throws in microwave for 2 min

doesn't eat the meat...still raw!   I get home and freak out! 

He says, all worried...Do you think I will get sick?  I say, ahhhh, Noooo, probably not...but if you do get sick, we will know why!

I cooked it on high for 3hrs that eve and ate it the next couple days...no one else would touch it. Smile

Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.

A Saucy Wench

Later, this evening, I will likely dump in a jar of salsa. 

Jarred salsa?  Jarred as in you canned it this summer because it wouldnt.....couldnt be store bought.  Right?

And srlopez - I leave mine all the time.  I mean, if I had time to be at home all day with the food, I could just make a roast or something.  Of course I will also leave the house with the dryer running and I read once in Dear Abby that dryers only catch fire when you are not at home. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Jarred salsa?  Jarred as in you canned it this summer because it wouldnt.....couldnt be store bought.  Right?

I don't know which to be horrified of, the fact that Trent may or may not have used Pace Picante sauce or the fact that he has 4 1/2 people at his house. One-half? Ewww...

Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
                    xor

I too will leave the house with the dryer running... but only if I'm coming back in a couple hours.  Not because I think my house will burn down, but because I have had a dryer not stop before (the timer broke) and it toasted all my clothes.  Have you ever smelled clothes that have been spinning on high for hours and hours.  Blech.

I will not under any circumstances leaves my house with the dishwasher running.

I drive an 11 year old Toyota.  The small one.

Mine's a slight bigger and is eight years old, Beta.  But, it has nearly 200K miles, like that guy's truck.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

A Saucy Wench

I too will leave the house with the dryer running... but only if I'm coming back in a couple hours.  Not because I think my house will burn down, but because I have had a dryer not stop before (the timer broke) and it toasted all my clothes.  Have you ever smelled clothes that have been spinning on high for hours and hours.  Blech.

I will not under any circumstances leaves my house with the dishwasher running.

I run the dishwasher at night right before bedtime.  If the dishwasher decides to spew water all over the house I would not know.  Or I run it when I am leaving.  Thing is too noisy to be around.   

Although once in Texas we ran out of dishwasher detergent and dh though the dishsoap would work just as well.  Do not try this at home.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

A Saucy Wench

I don't know which to be horrified of, the fact that Trent may or may not have used Pace Picante sauce or the fact that he has 4 1/2 people at his house. One-half? Ewww...

That's cause Trent is half monkey

xor

Although once in Texas we ran out of dishwasher detergent and dh though the dishsoap would work just as well.  Do not try this at home.

Hey, count that for twice in Texas.  Then-DW did the same thing in San Antonio.  It was like a sitcom.

MrH

A work colleague once did that at a small company I worked for - put the wrong detergent in the company kitchen dishwasher.

The president of the company really wanted to fire him for it.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.