Important (Read 1503 times)

I prefer the pressure cooker for cooking beans.  I can cook up a batch of beans and a batch of rice in about 30 minutes.  I'll put one layer of rinsed and sorted but not soaked dry beans on the bottom of the pressure cooker and then set the center portion of one of those cheep vegetable steamers that look like a flower in the center and fill the cooker to the level of the steamer with boiling water from my electric kettle, toss in some garlic and a bay leaf and turn on the heat.  Then I'll put 1 cup of rice and 1.5 cups of boiling water from the kettle into a 1 quart round pyrex storage dish, and place it on the steamer.  Put on the lid, bring to pressure, let cook for 20 minutes, and then let the pressure drop naturally.  The rice is already in the container I stick it into the fridge in, and I toss the beans into a jar.  If I wasn't single I'd have to find a taller stand for the rice container to sit on so I could cook more beans per batch, and probably use a bigger container for the rice.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, good point.  I used to use a pressure cooker for beans.  I find the crock pot makes them more tender and more consistent.  Plus, I don't have to hang out in the kitchen while they are cooking.

what are lions?

funny. i'm an organic chemist, and yet most pressure cookers terrify me. big fan of slow cookers, tho. i agree that most legumes taste better slow-cooked, too. 

if anyone's like me, tho, and cooks things overnight, it is kinda strange to wake up and smell tomorrow's dinner at 4 or 5 am..

I've got a 6 quart Fagor Elite which I am really happy with and don't feel endangered by in the slightest.  I've also got a 23 quart Presto which I use for canning.  I'll have to try the slow cooker with beans sometime, but I like the fact that I can feel all environmentally conscious cooking things that would take a long time really quickly in the pressure cooker.  I know what you mean by the consistency thing though.  Things cook so fast that just a minute or two can really make a big difference in the results, and there's no practical way of testing how done something is, just have to remember what variable to try changing the next time. 

what are lions?

yeah, both me (and hubby, a chem prof) grew up in traditional ethnic households where pressure cookers (the old-fashioned ones, even) were (and are) in routine use. didn't pay much attention after awhile then, except for the occasional admonishment to steer clear.

but both of us have seen the (major) damage that can be done under very similar principles, doing chemistry, if things go awry. fortunately, i can't remember an incident where someone was hurt under those circumstances (unfortunately, plenty of others). it's a bit of a testament to the 'safety' of pressure cookers, or (more likely) the vigilance of the cooks (who keep the food fr being overdone as well). one mitigating factor is that the temp's don't get nearly as high as in a lab expt.

the main issue (tho very rare) is a potential failure of the steam release valve. then, it really is a 'bomb', as we call the related lab reaction systems.  most pressure cookers are steel, so they won't explode under normal cooking temps (tho that's obviously time-dependent, which is one reason why you can't just go away for hours- in the event of a however unlikely valve fail). more likely, you'd burn your food. still, one could get seriously scalded if attempting to open a unit under those circumstances (and not waiting long enough for the whole vessel to cool down).

ok. sorry for the over analysis. likely for me, it's a case of 'a little knowledge'...

Elly.

Hmmm ... all this thread because Trent said he was going to Panera. 

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

A Saucy Wench

cg - I kinda feel the same way about pressure cookers.

- mostly unrelated...when I was working tech service one of our products was 2 part liquid resin.  This wasnt the catalytic reaction kind, this kind needed application of heat after mixing to start the reaction. Directions were to bake the parts in the resin.    My coworker got a VERY angry call from the captain of an aircraft carrier at sea.  They had followed the directions and placed the coated parts in the oven and about 15 minutes later the door blew right off the oven. 

My coworker went into the lab across the hall, mixed the resin in question, put it in our test oven and went back to his desk.  Sure enough 15 minutes later the doors exploded off our oven. (That's always a fun day at work BTW)   The captain was not impressed with the return call of "You're right, it blows the goddamn doors right off".  Not particularly helpful when you arent supposed to put in to dock for another month.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

A Saucy Wench

Hmmm ... all this thread because Trent said he was going to Panera. 

And someone said there were no spam threads.   Heh

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Elly.

My crockpot is currently full of white beans and water, set to 8 hours.  Later, this evening, I will likely dump in a jar of salsa.  Add some salt about 30 minutes before serving.  We will feed the family of 4 1/2 and have ample leftovers, all for a grand total of about ~$5. Some smashed potatoes* on the side and you have yourself a filling winter meal fit for the gray flurry-filled day here in Nashville.

Yep.  Costco apparently is saving us money.

* Smashed potatoes: new potatoes diced coarsely, boiled and lightly smashed (skin and all) with milk, butter, salt and maybe garlic, cheese, herbs to taste.  Also dirt cheap and tasty, but not really requiring anything from Costco.

Trent ... I'm no doctor, and I don't play one on TV, but I would add a FRESH green lettuce salad made tomatoes, red onion, cucumber, radishes, mushrooms to that meal.  I'll bet it will go over well. 

Yours truly,

Grandma

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

Prince of Fatness

* Smashed potatoes: new potatoes diced coarsely, boiled and lightly smashed (skin and all) with milk, butter, salt and maybe garlic, cheese, herbs to taste.  Also dirt cheap and tasty, but not really requiring anything from Costco.

Never have mashed potatoes when you can have smashed potatoes, I say.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

FRESH green lettuce salad made tomatoes, red onion, cucumber, radishes

Fresh?  In January?

Imminent Catastrophe

Fresh?  In January?

Sure. Flown in fresh from Peru and Chile. It's summer down there, you know. What was your question?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Papillon1966

Ben is now officially my favorite poster on RA.

That is all.

Yeah, that was pretty good. Not that I was particularly bothered by Trent's original post. But Ben had a funny response.

Lisa Boyles

1. trent never fessed up to whether bought salsa or home "canned"

2. i have also, as a kid, put dishwashing liquid in dishwashing machine. while i can't recall the exact outcome, i know it wasn't a house full of bubbly fun.

3. i still didn't order my dutch oven, nor have i gotten a crock pot yet. we use a pressure cooker all the time. my wife used to be skeered of it. we watch it for fun. a watched pressure cooker will boil. (well, I guess it boils in there. it at least cooks. fast.)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Of course you have a pressure cooker.  You are a reporter.  Duh.