Trent! (Read 546 times)

Peeked at your log ... you had a marathon on Saturday? How did it go? (sorry if I missed the race report Blush )
    2009: BQ?

Imminent Catastrophe

He's probably spending some time in the Elvis house...

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Wink Went well. I did exactly as I planned: gentle and steady. Tupelo is reputed as being a tough run and a lot of locals go down to run it every year. It has the motto, "trample the weak, hurdle the dead". The shirt and medal have on them a skull and crossbones. I have been running a lot of miles, so I figure why not go down and take it as a nice long training run? I was thinking of making it part of a 100 mile week. Alas, I got sick midweek and dropped two runs and could not eat; this got me pretty worried. Good news, I bounced back on Saturday and got to bang out the marathon in the end. Tupelo also has a 14.2 mile option, so I had a graceful dropout if needed. Day was warm and humid, but not nearly as bad as we have seen this Summer and far less than Tupelo has to offer. The marathon starts predawn by about 75 minutes, so we ran for about an hour by moonlight alone. That was really cool. I ran with two friends, both of whom are running Monkey (actually, there were about 12 monkeys there), and we just cranked out the miles in a steady conversational easy pace, as we wound over the rolling hills and in the awakening morning. I felt great at the turnaround and still felt great at mile 15, when one of the three of us faded a touch. The other fellow and I just kept churning out the miles, passing a lot of folks as we counted them down. We ran steadily the entire way. We picked up our pace by about a minute per mile in the last three miles, after leaving another couple of friends we passed (they initially set out at a 4:00 pace, later finishing around 4:40, but they also ran a second marathon today) and then several tens of runners before finishing. All in all a good time, a steady easy long run with good company, negative splits and good postrace chow. I feel great today with no stiffness or pain, and the long weekend meant that I got to take a huge nap this afternoon Big grin Thanks for askin'!
          Running in the moonlight .... awesome! Nice run!
          2009: BQ?
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Go Pre!

Great report Trent! I look forward to starting a marathon in the moonlight one day. (Oh yes, that, and running in fear of Flying Monkeys is still a hope : )
              sounds awesome! and like you really enjoyed it. glad you are feeling better.