Death Valley Puts Brakes On Running & Cycling Races (Read 305 times)

You mean they are actually getting rid of the cheaters?

I think it's fair to say that Badwater 135 as we have come to know it is a thing of the past.

And we run because we like it
    Through the broad bright land

kcam

So you now have to save a grand on the world's most expensive fatass and do the solo crossing, treating it like a FKT, just like they used to do before every ultrarunner was doing FKT's, and before this group took it over and made it "a victim of it's own hyperbole" (as someone far smarter than me labeled it).

I'm cool with that.

MTA:  Plus you can get the Mt Whitney permit and do all 148 miles of it, not stopping at the portal.

'fatass' and 'FKT' - low-key, no frills, low or no cost events;  Fastest Known Time?  I'm no ultrarunner (hence the need to internet-search both of those terms) so I get no vote but what you just posted sounds about right to me.  You want to run Badwater to Whitney?  Go do it.

Birdwell

You mean they are actually getting rid of the cheaters?

I'm sure Parvaneh will get special invitations to all future events.

pcaharrier

OMG!  I'm well known around here?  I'm honored you have noticed me.  (So you observed snark around here?  When did you join that this is a shock?)

As you can see by my post when this issue was first raised, I poined out that it is wonderful honor to get to run in National Parks and I wouldn't want their ruling to take that away from everyone, especially the communities and small business owners that result from it.  Super assholish, right?

Sorry you don't like my points.  I know many people that have done Badwater (and were extremely competitive there), but I have no sympathy for a race disappearing that is full of hype and costs $1000 to enter with no aid (or anything else) given.

Bah, stupid internet and it's inability to convey tone and inflection!

I DO think you made good points. I hadn't considered the issue from the perspective you raised and was glad that you brought it up.

My attempt at a joke (with someone I admittedly don't know at all other than through random posts on internet message boards) obviously fell completely flat. Sorry for not making my meaning more clear.

Kalsarikännit

Bah, stupid internet and it's inability to convey tone and inflection!

Sorry. I just got defensive when I thought you missed out on all of the much better faults of mine that I put out there for everyone. Wink

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

L Train

Cabbage lover.

Scope drunk.

JPF

I'm sure Parvaneh will get special invitations to all future events.

Now I'm sucked into that stupid LetsRun thread.  Thanks a lot, man.

All the other stuff that DVNP wants can be accommodated by the other races except for Badwater b/c of the 110 deg. limit.  Frankly, I think Badwater (the race) was targeted because it's not really in the ethos that the NPS tries to promote with regard to DVNP.  From their perspective, they probably feel that it shows disrespect to the extreme conditions to use them for a bit of a stunt.