Super high to reality check in local 5k (Read 349 times)

Runslowalksalot

Having not raced a 5k in about a year,  I enter an inaugural Groundhog day 5k with my wife hoping for an over 40 PR, breaking 24 minutes.    All is well, I'm on track with about 1/4 mile to go when I spy my random prey that I want to beat.   So I passed him with authority,  as I have been taught,  shortly after that my body tells me that I went too soon.  Oh Fudge.   Then right at the 3 mile mark, finish line in sight, I hear the unmistakeable sound from behind of someone starting their kick.  Oh F---, and I didn't think fudge.   I reluctantly sprint before it's too late, then my prey catches, and just passes me.  I manage to find another gear and just, and I mean just, nip him at the line.  VICTORY!!!!

After picking my lungs up off of a Groundhog that was hanging out at the finish line, I see that I made my goal, and I ended up 3rd in my age group(40-49) and 18th out of 118.   Not too bad, it's a small, new race.    During awards  I see my prey on the podium in his age group as well.  He's 12.

sigh.

Tiefsa

Having not raced a 5k in about a year,  I enter an inaugural Groundhog day 5k with my wife hoping for an over 40 PR, breaking 24 minutes.    All is well, I'm on track with about 1/4 mile to go when I spy my random prey that I want to beat.   So I passed him with authority,  as I have been taught,  shortly after that my body tells me that I went too soon.  Oh Fudge.   Then right at the 3 mile mark, finish line in sight, I hear the unmistakeable sound from behind of someone starting their kick.  Oh F---, and I didn't think fudge.   I reluctantly sprint before it's too late, then my prey catches, and just passes me.  I manage to find another gear and just, and I mean just, nip him at the line.  VICTORY!!!!

After picking my lungs up off of a Groundhog that was hanging out at the finish line, I see that I made my goal, and I ended up 3rd in my age group(40-49) and 18th out of 118.   Not too bad, it's a small, new race.    During awards  I see my prey on the podium in his age group as well.  He's 12.

sigh.

Show those youngsters who's boss.  I don't think you have to feel bad about beating that kid.

HermosaBoy

During awards  I see my prey on the podium in his age group as well.  He's 12.

sigh.

Been there -- done that!

At least you hit your goals.  Congrats!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Chris T

So, if he had beat you, would that have been 'getting tweened'?

Starman

I feel your pain and then some. At 40 or so, I ran a 5k in the 20:30s I think, and got chicked by a 12 year old girl. Afterwards I discovered that she had run one of the fastest 5ks of any 12 year old girl in state history! made me feel marginally better, but not much.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Years ago a friend of mind chased a little 9 yo girl the entire distance in a 10K and couldn't catch her. At the awards ceremony who should be awarded first overall female? the little girl. Turns out she was also a national AG record holder at several distances.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

npaden

I got smoked by a 10 year old boy on my last 2 races.

Looking at the results from last year he was actually even faster as a 9 year old.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

My first race I got beat by a kid about 10 years old. About 3 miles into a 4.5 mile race he was puking. That's when I caught him. I check on the kid as I was ready to carry him the rest of the way if needed. His dad bailed on him. Kid said he was fine. So I continued with my slow jog. He passed me with about 200 yards to go. That's what I get for checking on the sick kid. Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

First overall female at a trail race I did in December was an 11 year old girl.  The race had just shy of 500 people.

It was pretty sweet hearing the crowd go nuts when she crossed the line as first OA.

Years ago a friend of mind chased a little 9 yo girl the entire distance in a 10K and couldn't catch her. At the awards ceremony who should be awarded first overall female? the little girl. Turns out she was also a national AG record holder at several distances.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                    Emil Zatopek

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

A couple of years ago I was passed in a 5K by another woman who was pushing her TWO KIDS in a stroller.  Yep, strollered by a doublewide.  At least it inspired me to work harder to improve!

Runslowalksalot

Ok ilanarama, you got me beat "strollered by a double wide" is hard to beat!

It is good to hear that I am not alone.