daily low grade fevers (Read 926 times)

Hello, newbie & lurker here since Dec 2007. Finally coming forward to ask a question. Any ideas on what causes daily low grade fevers? On an off for almost 3 years I've had low grade fevers. They're usually right at 100 and can occur several times a day. My most faithful indicator is a slight nagging headache and every now and then it's accompanied by fatigue. My headaches stick around for 1-2 weeks then go away for 2-3 months. Not sure if it matters but I use the ear thermometer to take my temp. I only take Advil for the headache when I've got lots to do and it's getting in the way. I've told my doc about it but he didn't seem to be worried about it. He did find that my ferritin was low and am currently taking Ferrous Gluconate. I'll go back in a month to see if how I'm progressing. Other than that I take only my daily BC pill. No diabetes or high blood pressure but my cholesterol is borderline. I rarely get sick and don't take the flu shot. In fact, the most serious illness I've ever had was a sinus infection. I am one tired and sleepy person especially this past year, but that's a whole other story for another time. As for my running, I have my share of tough runs but I'd imagine it's because I'm inconsistent on my mileage.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ear thermometers are not reliable an many cases. Next time, try and oral or rectal thermometer and see if it shows a temperature elevation. Do you have kids?
        Will do. Yes, I have a 5 yo daughter and 9 yo son. Other than allergies a couple of times a year, they're in great health.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The kiddos may still be bringing home bugs that give you feverish symptoms. It can happen up to about 12 times per year per child and be normal
            NO WAY! Shocked I had no idea. Thanks for the quick response. I feel much better now.

A Saucy Wench

also...do you ever take your temp when you are NOT feeling icky? Went to school with a girl who just ran warm. Always. It was very handy when she wanted to ditch school. Go to nurse, have lowgrade fever, get written out to go home.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

also...do you ever take your temp when you are NOT feeling icky? Went to school with a girl who just ran warm. Always. It was very handy when she wanted to ditch school. Go to nurse, have lowgrade fever, get written out to go home.
                great point becuase normal body temperature can very by several degrees from person to person
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It can also vary with menses, BTW.
                    Nope, never occurred to me. But I do feel warm a lot of the time, especially on my back. I'm guessing like hot flashes?
                    It can also vary with menses, BTW.
                    I wondered about that because hubby doesn't get fevers at all and he's around the kiddos just as much as I am.

12-week layoff

Personal experience: Hurricane Ivan ripped off the roof of my classroom. It was repaired, and I spent the next year+ in my moldy, mildewy repared classroom. I also began running a low-grade fever, and was often fatigued. Testing revealed no infections or obvious cause. Coincidence? When I was moved to a brand new school, no more fever. So perhaps there is an environmental cause; have you had the ducts, etc. in your house checked? Could be worth exploring, if you have unpleasant symptoms to go along with the fever.
                        Personal experience: Hurricane Ivan ripped off the roof of my classroom. It was repaired, and I spent the next year+ in my moldy, mildewy repared classroom. I also began running a low-grade fever, and was often fatigued. Testing revealed no infections or obvious cause. Coincidence? When I was moved to a brand new school, no more fever. So perhaps there is an environmental cause; have you had the ducts, etc. in your house checked? Could be worth exploring, if you have unplesant symptoms to go along with the fever.
                        I don't have any symptoms that accompany the fever but thanks for the reminder about the ducts. When we first moved in 6 yrs ago hubby used to think there was something wrong with the house because he'd always have a runny nose and a tickle in his throat. I just talked him into changing the filter more often and his symptoms went away. The house is over 25 yrs old and I'm guessing I should have them replaced because I have to dust way more that I'd like. Wouldn't it be something if my fevers went away after that?!