1 Week out from HM and knee pain (Read 73 times)

bpink76

So I have a little bit of knee pain, and my next half is on 2/17.  I have been icing after each run and taking motrin as needed.  I don't have any more long runs planned, just a few short/medium easy runs.  What is the best course of action for the next 10 days?

2013 Goals:

5K: 25:00

10K: 52:00

Half: 2:00:00

joescott

If the race is meaningful to you, and you can manage the pain through meds and ice, then I'd say finish out your training plan and have a good race.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

J-L-C

What kind of pain is it? Where is it located?

In my experience, knee pain is hardly ever the result of the knee itself. I've combated knee pain by targeting my it band, hips, hamstrings, thighs, and calf areas.

Do you have a foam roller or a baseball/softball? If so, I'd start at your hips and start rolling it out, working down the itbs to you knee, then going back up to the butt and working down the hamstrings, then the inside thigh. Then the calves. Maybe even the back.

There's probably a problem in the "chain" that can be worked out to alleviate the knee pain.

Hobby Jogger Especial!

I agree with JLC. Foam roller, rolling pin, softball or seven a can Of soup can do the trick. Sometimes when your I.T. Band is irritated or inflamed, it can also cause bursitis in your knee to get inflamed.

Heres some good info:

http://sock-doc.com/2011/03/itb-frictional-syndrome/

TJoseph

It could also be a sign your shoes are worn out.  My knees will get sore if I have more than 500 miles or so on my shoes.

bpink76

Thanks for all the suggestions!

joescoot - Yes I think I can definitely handle it at this point.  Not gonna win or anything.  Wink

JLC  & Shadow38 - Yes, I LOVE my foam roller.  I will definitely try some of your suggestions.  I have also been working with my trainer to strengthen other muscles that support my knees, but of course that is not going to be done in a week.

TJoseph - I actually purchased new shoes a few weeks ago.  The salesperson at my running store could fold my old shoes in half.  Perhaps the damage had already been done?

The good news, I took a SLOW run with a friend today.  And I mean slow like 3 minutes slower than my normal pace.  And I felt totally fine afterwards.

Is it possible that I've been running too fast for my body?  Endurance-wise, I feel like I could run for days, but my body (knees, feet, achilles, always something different) just doesn't want to cooperate.  I only run about 20 mpw and I am trying to get up to 30 by increasing 1-2 miles per week.  Could running slower help alleviate my various pains and allow me to increase my mileage?

2013 Goals:

5K: 25:00

10K: 52:00

Half: 2:00:00