race photos (Read 1793 times)

Why is it sideways?

How much does Brightroom pay race organizers for access to the event?

qwerty85

I have purchased one race photo, a low quality digital for online sharing.  They charged $25.

Which was merely frustrating until they charged something like $8 shipping on top.

Tell me, how can you charge shipping on a digital photo download?

Every other photo of me, I would be more likely to pay a destruction fee verse purchasing it.

oh my gosh, photographers aren't orphans that we need to raise money for, if they're not making the money they think they should be making, they can try but be unsuccessful at getting up to $60 per photo, or they can make a career change. 

The last ones I paid money for were about $30, and I could count the pixels in the photo. 

I think it would be worth the experiment for them to take 1 race and charge really reasonable prices for pictures and downloads and see if the volume produced a greater profit than the high priced pictures and downloads.

You mean experiment with market-based pricing?  Wow what an idea, I bet nobody at Brightroom has ever thought of that.

I'm just glad I don't have to make a living selling race photos.

Runners run

Kalsarikännit

Not related to the purchase of race photographs, but still interesting.  Smalcolm pointed out a recent post by a very popular blogger and contributor to Trail Runner magazine.  It seems that Flotrack is developing Flotrail, which is cool.  What isn't cool is that they went into her blog, took her photo without permission and didn't give her credit.  I just thought it related to the previous mention of intellectual property, copyright, and whatnot.

http://www.meghanmhicks.com/2012/02/24/dont-steal-please/

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

TripleBock

Market based pricing is not an exact science ~ plus the market is continually changing ~ I think Brightroom lives off the hobbyjogger that is "Running" that great life's ambition ~ to finish a marathon ... Running it in 4-6 hours.  What I do not understand is at that speed they could pack a fanny pack and have people take dozens of pictures with their own camera.

Seriously though they would have to sell 15 resonably priced pictures for every 1 currently priced picture.  There seems to be an endless supply of people living their life's ambition to finish that one marathon.

You mean experiment with market-based pricing?  Wow what an idea, I bet nobody at Brightroom has ever thought of that.

I'm just glad I don't have to make a living selling race photos.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Anyhow, I am thinking about experimenting with market-based pricing for a rinky dink lil race I put on. I'll charge each runner a few dollars in the registration fee, pay a great local race photographer a chunk of change, and then just make the images available to them at no additional cost. Those who want custom work can still pay a higher premium. That way the photographer gets paid regardless, the runners get their downloads, and a few who really care can pay the photographer for added value.

Hey Elly, just sayin... Smile

Elly.

I was not able to get into the stadium for the 5K by the stadium officials working on the race director's orders. I have tried in the past to get to the park, but the police stopped me, even after I had spoken to the police captain about letting me through. He assured me that it would not be a problem ... but in the end it was a problem ... big time. I have biked in, with cameras on my back, but the runners would not let me through ... er... the ones who had their IPods on so loud they could not hear me. There were many of them. I finally got into the stadium on the coat tails of Nick Ged. Nobody will stop him.

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I see what you are doing there.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

took her photo without permission and didn't give her credit

Did I mention that I put on a rinky dink race here in town? Anyhow, there is another race in town that has on its websites a picture from the website for the race that I put on. A picture I took. And yeah, used without permission or credit.

Elly.

Not related to the purchase of race photographs, but still interesting.  Smalcolm pointed out a recent post by a very popular blogger and contributor to Trail Runner magazine.  It seems that Flotrack is developing Flotrail, which is cool.  What isn't cool is that they went into her blog, took her photo without permission and didn't give her credit.  I just thought it related to the previous mention of intellectual property, copyright, and whatnot.

http://www.meghanmhicks.com/2012/02/24/dont-steal-please/

Oh that happened to me as well.  No permission, no credit, but a admonition to readers not to steal.  PHTT

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

A Hashers website stole an attractive picture of me flat on my back at a beer mile.

Umbrage!

A Hashers website stole an attractive picture of me flat on my back at a beer mile.

Umbrage!

You went one of Hasher's races and didn't look me up?

Umbrage

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

You went one of Hasher's races and didn't look me up?

Umbrage

It was in Nashville, my dear Nadsies.

It was in Nashville, my dear Nadsies.

Merely 11 inches away!

Fine.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus