race photos (Read 1793 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Depends on the tee shirt.

Should a race simply charge $xx more and provide digital pics for free?

Prince of Fatness

As someone who has no interest in race pictures of himself, my answer would be "no".

Not at it at all. 

Why is it sideways?

Depends on the tee shirt.

What would be a reasonable price for a photographer? If you had a race of 500 folks, you could raise the entry by $2 and have $1000 for the photographer. That seems pretty reasonable for a 5k or 10k.

Elly.

Ah, but then you need to have a few photographers so that everybody gets his picture taken.  I make a lot of photographs, but inevitably I miss many people.  

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

xor

Ah, but then you need to have a few photographers so that everybody gets his picture taken.  I make a lot of photographs, but inevitably I miss many people.  

Which is why I wear pink.

(no, no, not really)

You'll ruin your knees!

As someone who has no interest in race pictures of himself, my answer would be "no".

My answer would be no for a different reason.  You can give everyone the same TShirt, but you cannot give everyone a quality photo of them on the course (some of us just ain't photogenic!). 

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Well, many of the tee shirts out there ain't quality either...

Why is it sideways?

Why does everyone need their picture taken to pay a flat fee for the photographer? Run a few races, and you will get a good pic.

We already pay for many things that we don't necessarily use:

I don't need a water stop in a 5k, but I pay for it.

I don't need another t-shirt, but I pay for it.

I don't need a bagel afterwards, but I pay for it.

I don't need chip timing or finish clocks or to support various charities, but I pay for all these things.

(Couldn't one pay several photographers for $1000 for a 60 minute 5k race? I do not know how much photographers make selling their pictures online. Do they make more than $1000 for a 5k?)

xor

I want a high quality shirt with a picture on it.  Not of me.  Of another runner.  One who is dreamy.

L Train

This is surprising. 

kcam

I don't care for Brightroom or MarathonFoto either.  I WISH they would get a decent picture of me; I might buy it.  But I'll bet your wife makes about $10 an hour using her own equipment, and she never sees another dime. She also doesn't have steady work. 

Yes, pictures should be reasonably priced.  But to reiterate, it is not OK to steal photos of yourself for internet purposes even though you probably cannot print.  Even if you give credit to the photographer (folks do that all the time Disapprove) if your didn't pay for it, you have no right to do it. 

I have folks who like my work and order prints or digitals.  I'm thankful to them.  I work hard to elicit a smile and a rapport with runners.  If you have one of those local people who show up regularly to make pictures, you should thank them in a meaningful way. 

BR has a tiered pay system for photographers that ranges from  $30/hour to $90/hour, I think, and that's it, no percentage of sales or anything like that.  They provide statistics to the photographers of the percentage of their photos that sell and you would be surprised how many of those shots are selling.  BR is mostly about quantity -  shoot first and ask questions later.   My wife does it because she likes it and we're going to the race anyway.  It's just for fun but I'm absolutely amazed by how much money I think BR must be making.

I agree 100% - if you have a local (not BR or MP or those businesses - don't worry they're doing fine) coming out to take photos of small races try to support them.  Even if you just like looking at the photos there's value in that as well.  Buy a small print once in a while.

"run" "2" "eat"

if you pay for it, then it is not "free", it is "included" or "prepaid".

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

R2E, you are so sillypint.

"run" "2" "eat"

case in POINT!

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Elly.

I did a race a few years ago, that I stated from the outset the proceeds of the pictures would go to charity.  Out of 300 folks (small race) 24 responded.  I carefully kept records, cost of Paypal, mailing, printer ink and paper.  One person wanted 10 digitals (woo-hoo!) the rest 5X7's and 4X6's.  I ended up sending that charity $397.75. 

That was the most money I have ever made on a race.  My fees, I believe are reasonable.  They are certainly less than the big companies, and if I charged the large amount, would I make some REAL money?  I don't know.  I do enjoy the races and the people I meet.  You've actually got me running a bit, too. 

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/