race photos (Read 1793 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Tramps' not bad.  MilkTruck's did a lot more for getting the synapses firing.

xhristopher

So, what's the consensus on using copyrighted material (characters, stock photography, celebrity likenesses, movie/TV grabs, product shots, ads, logos, etc, etc...) for our avatars on RA? Intellectual property rights still apply or fair use? Different than unpaid race photos or same thing?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

So I think the whole problem of "rights management" leads to interesting issues, and certainly there have been ongoing attempts and they still proceed, moving into BIOS control -- all these things, DRM (digital rights management), IRM (information rights management). secure boot, etc, all arise, I think, from this simple issue -- how to control files once they've been downloaded (which includes "viewed" or "played", of course).

*  Patty the photographer wants Carl (computer user, probably at home) to download her photo proof images, so they can view them and consider buying them, but once Carl pulls the photo down to his browser cache, Patty wants Carl not to copy the file to other places on his computer -- especially not to upload it to his facebook.

*  Randy the RIAA exec, wants to sell movies and music to Carl in some way so that Carl can pull the files to his computer only in the ways allowed by some RIAA software, and above all, does not want Carl to be able to copy the files or give them to others.

*  Gary the government executive wants to give Carl some files to look at, but they're sensitive, and Gary wants to prevent Carl from copying the files, or taking them to a removable device or a phone.

These are all sensible desires, but implementation has been problematic. I think it really is going to take BIOS support, and controlling which operating systems that Carl is allowed to install onto his computer, to prevent Carl using some non-standard, non-controlled operating system that might let him copy his files around freely -- thus defeating the whole concept of digital rights management.

Heck, I just saw a link to a history of DRM events here: http://opensource.com/life/11/11/drm-graveyard-brief-history-digital-rights-management-music

But I suspect that article may be slanted toward the "information is free" crowd, who like to hammer home the concept of letting Carl move files around on his own computer freely, and who may not take seriously the three sample drivers I listed above, for trying to implement some real information rights management (which is to say, some way of controlling file lifetime and distribution).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Best part of that was making up the alliterative names. I need to tell more stories so I can make up more names.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

So, what's the consensus on using copyrighted material (characters, stock photography, celebrity likenesses, movie/TV grabs, product shots, ads, logos, etc, etc...) for our avatars on RA? Intellectual property rights still apply or fair use? Different than unpaid race photos or same thing?

I'm still trying to figure out how the race photographers are allowed to capture my likeness and put it online without my permission and without sending me royalty checks.
            Elly.

I'm still trying to figure out how the race photographers are allowed to capture my likeness and put it online without my permission and without sending me royalty checks.

You don't have those rights when you participate in a race...public domain or something like that.  Actually, movie stars have this same problem with the paparazzi.  But the paparazzi get paid much more than I do!

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

You don't have those rights when you participate in a race...public domain or something like that.  Actually, movie stars have this same problem with the paparazzi.  But the paparazzi get paid much more than I do!

Well, as an RA buddy, I grant you exclusive papparazza rights.
                xor

Aren't you more like mamarazzi?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

*  Patty the photographer wants Carl

Patty and Carl need to get a hotel room, so Pedro the peeper can't see them anymore.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Patty and Carl need to get a hotel room, so Pedro the peeper can't see them anymore.

And Pedro needs to show up for his next session with Anna the Analyst.

Elly.

Aren't you more like mamarazzi?

+1   Big grin

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

hurting the photographer?

Perhaps if they didn't charge such excessive prices, people wouldn't try to alter/steal them. 

I just spent $40ish on four photos from all four marathons - I had a decent coupon. 

you need to take the picture of my legs of your profile, I did NOT give you permission to post them. 

I think it's ironic that my profile pic of me running is stolen  Shocked

Perhaps if they didn't charge such excessive prices, people wouldn't try to alter/steal them. 

This is generally regarded as a low-percentage effective legal defense, not to mention an ethical damp spot, particularly with stealing something non-essential to you, you know, living.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes