Do Hypetension Pills Affect Your Running Performance? (Read 519 times)

Junior Amphibian

I've stopped taking Mavik (ACE inhibitor) and my pace seems to have decreased by at least 30 seconds, at the same HR rate.

"People ask why I run. I say, 'If you have to ask, you will never understand'. It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels." - Erin Leonard

How's your BP without meds? I know when I went on meds, my heart rate was higher until it adjusted to a lower pressure. It could have an impact I guess. After my BP stabilized with meds I didn't see any difference in my running.

Junior Amphibian

How's your BP without meds? I know when I went on meds, my heart rate was higher until it adjusted to a lower pressure. It could have an impact I guess. After my BP stabilized with meds I didn't see any difference in my running.
        Interesting. My blood pressure without taking Mavik for 3 days was 132/83, which was about 10 points higher than normal. My normal heart rate was also a bit higher. However, my workout HR was lower given the increased pace.

"People ask why I run. I say, 'If you have to ask, you will never understand'. It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels." - Erin Leonard

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Do not stop taking blood pressure medications without first consulting your physician.
          ymmv

i injured my lower back training for MCM last fall (my first marathon). a couple of weeks before the race, i was pretty stressed about it, and went to my GP. he took my BP and put me on diovan, which is supposedly good for athletes. i had a bit longer taper than planned, but ran MCM being *really careful*. since then, i managed a sub 8min/mile pace on a 5mile race (i was happy with that), ran napa valley marathon okay, and i feel pretty good. the diovan did not seem to make a dramatic difference in my BP, but its low enough that subsequent checkups have been okay. my log is out there to see. for me, some races are to go fast, some are just to cruise along with friends and enjoy. i feel that i am still improving in fitness, pace, endurance.
              I definitely think you have to look at long range goals and evaluate cholesterol levels, blood pressure, muscle tone and other factors rather than blood pressure alone. My doctor told me that he starts you on blood pressure if you get to around 140 and the bottom number is moving up. I get nervous before races but now since focusing on overall health and not the race times, I seem to enjoy races more and my BP has gone down.