"Build Your Running Body" question (Read 224 times)

Kirk Hapke

55yo male here.

I ran cross country in high school, just decided to get back into running.  I started with c25k app, but got discouraged when during the 4th or 5th week, I couldn't get the benchmark of 2 straight miles at a 10:00 pace. (I kept coming between 20:15 and 23:00 or so)  And by the way, I was totally taxed at that point, no way I could have continued on to finish a 5k.

So, I bought Magill's book and quickly learned about aerobic vs anaerobic energy, and why I was feeling the way I was.

I decided to start his "Beginning runner, competitive" program.  It calls for you to base your various runs off your last 5k time. (which I don't have)  I decided to guestimate a 5k time of 36:00 or a 12:00 pace.

After reading most of the book and being informed about running slower, staying in your aerobic zone for most of the runs, I decided to give this an earnest try.  He sold me.

Here's my question:  My first easy run was this morning at the prescribed pace of 16:00.  I had never run that slow before, but fine, hanging with the program.  I did exactly 1.25 miles at 20:03, pretty dang close.  The run was comfortable, and I barely started even a slight huff. Totally aerobic the whole time.  I have no idea how far I could have gone, but with a shotgun to my head, a pretty long time.  After surveying the entire 12 week program, besides a few variations later on... (strides, hill work, tempo, etc) 80-85% is no more than I did this morning.  No significant pace increase and no significant volume increase.  How in the heck am I going to get any faster or fitter on that??  I'm pretty sure I could do the above 7 days a week for 12 weeks, no problem.  I don't doubt him at all, he just doesn't explain this part in the book.

Any help from you ole pros?

Thanks,

Kirk

TJoseph

You are overthinking it. Just try to run at a pace you could hold a conversation at. You will get faster as you run more miles. Add a little bit of mileage every week. The rule of thumb is 10% increase per week, but I have found that I can increase it a little faster than that. I was a little too aggressive this last time and I am coming back from a shin injury right now. Everyone is different, but I find that I don't improve unless I am running at least four or five days a week. I can maintain fitness I already have on two or three days a week for a while.

mta: The first few weeks it will be difficult to run at a conversational pace. Many people will alternate running for a few minutes with walking for a minute or two. I don't usually do that. I just run as far as I can. If I am completely out of shape, I might start running a mile a day for the first week and then 1.5 miles a day the second week, 2 the third week, etc.

GinnyinPA

The C25k program does NOT require you to run 10 minute miles.  It is an either/or system.  You can run for either time or distance, you don't have to do the distance in the time given.  i.e. you run either two miles or 20 minutes.  Most beginners are unable to run 3 miles in 30 minutes until after they have finished the program without forcing it. Those who go by time will do 2 or 2.5miles in 30 minutes.  Those who go by distance will take 35 or 40 minutes to run the 5k.  So if you like doing the walk/run system, go for either time or distance and don't worry about doing both.  When you run, do it at a pace that feels easy.  That may be 12 minute miles or more or less, just try to keep it comfortable.

As you get more time on your feet, your lung capacity will improve and your stride will get more efficient and you will find yourself able to speed up.  Still keep most of your runs comfortably easy, but what feels easy will change over time.

mikeymike

I don't know the specific program you are using but I've read a lot of Magill's stuff and I get where he's coming from. One problem many new runners have is they try to run all their easy runs too fast. The majority of your weekly mileage should be done at an easy, aerobic pace. No argument. The problem comes when you try to put an exact number on "easy aerobic," especially when you're really new to running and don't have much of a recent data set of race times.

You're using a guestimate of your best 5k time which is probably too conservative. Also, when you're this new to running, your best 5k time will be a rapidly moving target.

If your best solo 2 mile run to date is 20:15, I suspect you could run a 5k in more like 32:30. And even that might be conservative because race magic is real and we all can generally go faster in a race than in a solo time trial.

This is a long way of saying basically what the other posters said: just keep easy runs easy and don't worry too much about what that specific pace is. Your easy pace will get faster as you get fitter, especially at first.

Runners run

Kirk Hapke

Thanks you all.  I see that now Ginny Sad

Kirk Hapke

Thanks for everybody's input.

Kirk