Newbie Shoe Question (Read 846 times)

I am just getting into running and I have a question about shoes. I have read that you can get about 600-700 kilometers from a pair of shoes but I was curious how you tell when it is time for a new pair. Do people track their mileage or are there things you can look at on the shoes to tell when it is enough? Thanks, Terry
      do you track "mileage" when you measure in kilometers? Shldn't it be kilometerage?
        Call us mixed up, but we still say mileage ...

Think Whirled Peas

Hi Terry, I've only been running about a year, but yeah, I keep track of mileage on each pair of shoes. I start really paying close attention to how my legs feel when the shoes start getting into the 250 mile range. I'm a heavy guy, so my shoes tend to show significant wear by then, and I have need to replace them by around 350 miles. Track your mileage, but use how you're feeling as a truer test of shoe life. Good luck, and keep up the great work! Q MTA: trbl spellar

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I can feel the cushioning in my shoes go. I'll develop soreness in my lower back from the additional pounding.
              I can feel the cushioning in my shoes go. I'll develop soreness in my lower back from the additional pounding.
              I agree with this. You will feel more soreness in muscles as shoes get older. I dont really track mileage but I have an idea where my shoes are at by weekly mileage totals.
                Tracking mileage (kilometerage) will tell you how far you've run in them but it isn't a good indicator of the condition of your shoes. The foam cushioning in the soles will break down long before you'll see much wear on the outside and it depends as much on how the shoes are made and your weight as much as mileage. Your best bet is to pay attention to how your legs feel. Look for abnormal leg pain, particularly in the knees and hips. They take the most beating when your shoes start to wear out. Your form also plays a big part in how long your shoes will last. If you scuff your feet or land on your heels, they will wear out much more quickly. Tom
                  I absolutely track my mileage on my shoes. As a rule of thumb, I get between 425-475 miles from a pair of shoes. If I don't change them out at that point, I start to get the physical reminders (sore back, knees.)

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

milkbaby

I alternate between 2 pairs of shoes of different age. My shoes usually last about 500 miles, so when one pair of shoes is about 250 miles old, I start a new pair of shoes. These shoes are alternated every day. Then when the older pair is getting to the end of their useful running lifespan, I can feel the difference between the older pair and the newer pair because one day I'll run in the older pair and start feeling kinda beat up whereas I will feel better in the newer pair. I use that as a yardstick to measure how "used up" the old pair is along with keeping track of the shoe mileage in my running log. One note, it's not any more expensive to alternate 2 pairs of shoes except at the very start when you buy the 2nd pair of shoes. You still get 500 miles out of each pair and pay the same amount of money per mile. In fact, since you alternate the shoes daily, it takes twice as many days before you replace any one particular pair of shoes, so you still only buy new shoes as often as you did before. For example, if you typically have to buy new shoes every 3 months, if you switch to alternating shoes, you still only buy them every 3 months because you alternate pairs each day so each pair lasts 6 months now instead of 3 months.
                    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura
                      Call us mixed up, but we still say mileage ...
                      But in internet speak, when qualifying advice or something, do you write YMMV (your mileage may vary) or YKMV (your kilometerage may vary)? I'm just a smartass. As for shoes, as been indicated, k/m isn't sole determining factor. Weight, terrain run on, form all play a role. General rule of thumb is 400 to 600 MILES. I'd start looking for wear/feel around 400. I weigh about 150 lbs and put my last pair on the dirty run/keep-in-trunk-along-w/ spare-clothes-just-in-case duty at about 500. The alternating is a good idea.

uncontrollable

I can feel it, as others said, knees/back & it's usually around 350-400 miles. I've gotten minor injuries from trying to get more mileage out of a pair of shoes.

peace

skinnycaponesugar

You still call it mileage, you just need to divide your kilometerage by 1.6 to avoid upsetting the spellchecker. I have rencently felt as if my shoes are going a bit softer, however I should still have quite a few more kms to go. Do you experience this as well? they actually feel a bit more comfortable now... Roll eyes

Love, Run, Sleep

Glynis Babbey

Thanks for all the responses! The other day it was raining so I tried an old pair of shoes and only got about 100m down the road. So I know what it feels like on shoes that are long past their prime. I do like the idea of two pairs too so I can alternate and get a good guage that way along with tracking mileage. I want to be jogging when I get well up there in years so I figure take care of the knees and hips now!

Junior Amphibian

You can extend the life of any shoe by simply buying new athletic inserts. Cheaper than a new pair, IMO.

"People ask why I run. I say, 'If you have to ask, you will never understand'. It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels." - Erin Leonard

lostinthenet3

MM#1869

But in internet speak, when qualifying advice or something, do you write YMMV (your mileage may vary) or YKMV (your kilometerage may vary)? I'm just a smartass. As for shoes, as been indicated, k/m isn't sole determining factor. Weight, terrain run on, form all play a role. General rule of thumb is 400 to 600 MILES. I'd start looking for wear/feel around 400. I weigh about 150 lbs and put my last pair on the dirty run/keep-in-trunk-along-w/ spare-clothes-just-in-case duty at about 500. The alternating is a good idea.
                                I'm 100lbs heavier than you and I am yet to get 200 miles out of a pair before they are worn out. They look brand new but my knees and back say differently. Doug

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."