Am I too far gone? (Read 399 times)

HOSS1961

I ran my 1st marathon November 10 (Richmond) and loved it. I kept my milage at 25 to 30 miles for the next 2 weeks and jumped back into training for a 3/16 marathon but injured my back the week of Thanksgiving and had to cut back for the next 4 weeks to 15 miles or less in order to heal (I even took a whole week off). I was past the injury the week before Christmas and did 31 miles and was on track for a 40 mile week when I came down with the flu and have been on my back since Saturday. Is my training hosed for the March race? I have not registered yet so I have no financial loss but I would still like a Spring marathon. Maybe April or early May? Sorry for the long post HOSS
    HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured
    va

Hi Hoss, Richmond was my first as well! (I loved it too) I don't know if you should run a March marathon, but wanted to mention 2 other possibilities, if you live in the area. The Charlottesville Marathon is in mid-April, and the Frederick Marathin is in the beginning of May. Good luck, whatever you decide to do...
        I think you already know the answer to your question. You've missed a lot of time training and are adding more as we speak. If you were training for a shorter race, you could probably afford it but the marathon depends on a steady buildup of weekly mileage and long runs to get you through those last four or five miles. Marathon training is so intense that it's tough to make up missed time without burning out or getting hurt. Many of us have missed marathons due to illness or injury and there is certainly no shame in it. The training process is much more difficult than the race itself and there is no guarantee that you'll complete it. Consider it an honor to be part of the 1-2% of the population who have even attempted a marathon. Tom