Can't get away from cigarette smoke (Read 257 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Sometimes I wonder if people were happier and more relaxed when they didn't worry about death and illness so much, and just ate, smoked, and drank what they wanted, and didn't exercise. But maybe they weren't, and we're much happier being so health conscious and thinking we can control how long we're going to live. Anyone else ever wonder about this?

I see your point, but I think it's a manifestation of the Happy Days syndrome.  My older sister considers the 50s the most miserable years of modern history.

I was just thinking the other day, you used to be able to guess a person's age pretty accurately just from their voice on the phone.  We attributed it to aging, but it was really cigarettes.  Same with a look at someone's skin.  Lives were short, and I don't think they were happier.

I might get blasted for this, but Firing babysitters because they smell too good (As opposed to bad!) or fussing about people outdoors smoking?   If the only thing I have to complain about is such a minor issue as that, oh happy day!

In the 70's, someone would have laughed at for showing disgust and displeasure towards a person standing outside or on a beach in the open smoking.

In the 2010's, non-smokers are the majority now, but I don't think that gives the majority the right to tell a person "you should just quit smoking, that's a terrible habit" or to show displeasure because you are walking on a beach and someone is smoking nearby.   I mean do folks turn towards the City bus as well, or a Dump Truck when it goes by, and yell "You're giving me lung cancer!" ?!

----Maybe I am missing something.  But bigger picture,      I don't smoke, but if someone nearby wants to, I have no issue with it at all.  Perhaps they have been through some recent adversity and just want to relax outside with a cigarette and don't want to be bothered or ridiculed about it.

Sometimes I wonder if some folks out there are just starting to look for any little reason to be annoyed or show displeasure??

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Ostrich runner

The perfume itself wasn't really the issue, it was the allergies and that she'd been told several times and broke into a swearing tirade when asked again. Just one of the many reasons I say that the only really nice parts of Kentucky are the ones that are uninhabited.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

FSBD

I might get blasted for this, but Firing babysitters because they smell too good (As opposed to bad!) or fussing about people outdoors smoking?   If the only thing I have to complain about is such a minor issue as that, oh happy day!

In the 70's, someone would have laughed at for showing disgust and displeasure towards a person standing outside or on a beach in the open smoking.

In the 2010's, non-smokers are the majority now, but I don't think that gives the majority the right to tell a person "you should just quit smoking, that's a terrible habit" or to show displeasure because you are walking on a beach and someone is smoking nearby.   I mean do folks turn towards the City bus as well, or a Dump Truck when it goes by, and yell "You're giving me lung cancer!" ?!

----Maybe I am missing something.  But bigger picture,      I don't smoke, but if someone nearby wants to, I have no issue with it at all.  Perhaps they have been through some recent adversity and just want to relax outside with a cigarette and don't want to be bothered or ridiculed about it.

Sometimes I wonder if some folks out there are just starting to look for any little reason to be annoyed or show displeasure??

Totally agree with you!

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

Just curious, should someone smoking an electronic cigarette on a plane be allowed?  Would it bother some people just due to the image they are seeing resembling a traditional cigarette?

(I'll admit, personally I don't care if someone does, but those things look hokey to me!)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Feeling the growl again

Do you really think that when people say they don't like something in a thread on an internet forum, it is because they have no bigger problems to deal with?  Do you not have bigger things to complain about than people you have never met firing their babysitter or fussing about people outdoors smoking?

As beef has already indicated, the babysitter was not "fired because she smelled too good", and people indicating they don't like walking through clouds of smoke is hardly fussing about it.  You're being a bit dramatic.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Not dead. Yet.

+1

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

This is particularly clever - complaining about it whilst doing it. Funniest post on the thread.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

JimR

complaining about it whilst doing it.

This describes my driving style

Chantilly75

+1

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Best Present Ever

The perfume itself wasn't really the issue, it was the allergies and that she'd been told several times and broke into a swearing tirade when asked again. Just one of the many reasons I say that the only really nice parts of Kentucky are the ones that are uninhabited.

Perfume makes my eyes water and gives me a headache, and I don't even think I have any allergies. Ugh.  I wouldn't describe the sitter as 'smelling too nice.'

There's a local runner who shows up for runs in full makeup, earrings and lots of perfume.  I'm glad she doesn't often join group runs and that I can't keep up with her for long.  After pleasant pre-run chitchat, we usually try to make sure we won't be near her right away because it's so unpleasant. The full makeup at 6 am to run is weird but none of my business.  The perfume is downright annoying.  

Not dead. Yet.

Heh.  I had to hold my breath for half a minute coming into work today because I was trapped in a corridor behind a woman who apparently bathes in it.

Are we setting up designated "perfume areas" for them to wear their smell in?  Definitely seems similar to the whole smoking issue.  It invades my space on occasion also, but you don't see me whining up a storm every time it happens.  I just deal with it the best I can.  I can understand keeping the smoking out of doors, but I think it's over the top to stop people from smoking in open spaces.

We got too coddled by all of the nonstop non-smoking campaigns over the past years.  Smokers and smoking have been vilified.  Don't get me wrong, I was a heavy smoker and all the hoopla is probably what helped me quit...but still, we need to be considerate of other people's prerogatives.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

Feeling the growl again

you don't see me whining up a storm 

See it fairly frequently actually.  Like that same post, whining up a storm about people not liking smoke and vilifying smokers (which is an exaggeration of most of what has been said in this thread).

Many companies, hospitals, and other facilities do not set up designated perfume areas, they simply don't allow their employees to wear perfumes/colognes, period.  It's banned no differently than smoking.

I used to know an oncologist who would go up to any smoker he saw that looked to be under about 25, hand them his business card, and tell them "keep up the good work, I'll see you in about 20 to 25 years".  Now THAT is vilifying and degrading.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

JimR

they simply don't allow their employees to wear perfumes/colognes, period.

I had to do this once with a fellow employee, I was his team lead/mentor, and had to tell him that whatever he was wearing was a no-no as other employees were complaining.  It was giving people headaches and I personally couldn't be near him for more than a few seconds.

I had to do this once with a fellow employee, I was his team lead/mentor, and had to tell him that whatever he was wearing was a no-no as other employees were complaining.  It was giving people headaches and I personally couldn't be near him for more than a few seconds.

The owners of the gym I use ask members not to use perfume, but then they use these plug-in scent dispensers to "freshen" the air in the dressing rooms. Whatever chemical gets poured into these things has the most revolting bad-cologne smell I have ever experienced.