Too much, too soon? (Read 417 times)

AlexaCT

I'm planning on doing my first half at the end of May this year.  I'm currently running about 20 miles a week, and I'm not worried about my time in the race, just finishing.

Is it too soon to register for a second race on June 23?  Is a month long enough to recover, rest, train for a second half?

I am excited but don't want to get too ahead of myself and get burned out or injured.

Thanks in advance for the advice

I can and I will!

If you don't have a time goal, it doesn't matter. by June you could be covering the half Marathon distance every other week.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Better I Leave

Not worried about time? Too soon? Not at all IMO. You might even surprise yourself when you do it. My very first event was a half and I told myself that if I came in under 2:30 I'd be happy. I came in at 2:18.

Now as for doing a second half a month later...that'll depend. I know that I wouldn't have been able to run another half that soon after my first, but I didn't prepare well enough beforehand and paid dearly for it. I was limping for 2 weeks after my first event. But again, if you're just looking to finish, you'll probably be fine. Good luck my friend. Smile

Resident Historian

A month is long enough to recover from the first, but not to do much training before the second.   You should be OK to run the 2nd one though.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

mikeymike

Plenty of time.

Runners run