No running on Cipro? (Read 1548 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Newest drug on the market = the least tested drug on the market = potentially the riskiest drug on the market.
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Trent, thanks for the insights.  Now I have to figure out how to approach the doctor.  "Is Keflex really effective for preventing UTIs?  Would there be a problem staying on nitrofurantoin?"  In fairness to the PA, she was trying to find something cheaper for me.  I was paying $90 for three months before, now it's $18.  But of course if it doesn't work, it doesn't do me much good.  I will talk to my internist about it in August.  He's a good guy.  He always asks lots of questions and LISTENS to me.  He's the kind who calls my husband or me up after hours if he thinks of a concern or question.  It's the urologist's office prescribing the antibiotics.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Sulfa is cheap and that is what is typically used as a preventative.

A Saucy Wench

Sulfa is cheap and that is what is typically used as a preventative.

but she is allergic to sulfa, read the chart....

So last night I was cursing myself for not having just taken the damn Cipro because below my ear my neck was swelling all over and painful to touch and hot and my pain was a 7 on that stupid little scale.  Like any good runner I figured swelling = ice and after a few minutes I felt a whoosh as something let loose and it drained.  Never felt a whoosh before.  By morning it was almost gone (the swelling, not the ear infection)

Anyway, this morning I am 80% sure the eardrops are working - I have some lymph tenderness but a huge improvement from last night.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nitrofurantoin is cheap and is typically used as a preventative as well Smile

Glad you are feeling better!

A Saucy Wench

Jessus marrry & Jossseph does the manufacturer of Cipro pay my doctors to prescribe it?  So the ear infection is not gone, its moved into my throat and I still cant get either doctor to prescribe anything but Cipro.  Fukkers.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What do you mean that it has gone to your throat?  99.9% of sore throats are viral and the rest are strep, which does not require cipro.

Best Present Ever

Medical records are very challenging when it comes to finding out information previously recorded, such as a patient's drug allergies.  This is one reason why electronic medical records are touted as a way to improve care.  Of course, some electronic medical records are just as convoluted to use as thick paper-based charts.

off track for this thread, but yes to the convoluted electronic charts.  Our ED has gone to electronic charting.  I love doing the charting and using it while the patient is there. It's much more efficient and so much easier to click through to lab results and orders (which used to be in two different computer systems plus a paper chart).  However, what that chart looks like later, after the patient has left, is just a mess.  It's very difficult to figure out what happened in a past visit.  I'm thinking this will be fixed soon, but meanwhile I still keep a paper chart for what i do (so I am double charting everything). 

A Saucy Wench

What do you mean that it has gone to your throat?  99.9% of sore throats are viral and the rest are strep, which does not require cipro.

Meaning....the ear infection is not totally gone, the outer ear is somewhat better but after 4 days on drops my ear still hurts all the way down my neck and is starting to get worse again.  And I have a fever which with me ALWAYS produces a sore throat.  Always.  Only this time it is only on the same side as the ear so I am considering the fact that it might be lymph and not tonsil along with irritation from drainage.

But what pisses me off is Monday the agreement was 2 days drops only then if ear still hurts start the oral antibotics and monday afternoon I started calling the clinic looking for an alternative to Cipro if oral anti-b's became necessary and all I keep getting is "oh but Cipro is a really GOOD antibiotic"

Now they are pulling the "oh, well, if you want a different prescription you need to come back in to the clinic to get reevaluated and since it is Friday just go to urgent care at the tune of $100 copay since we have been refusing to return your calls since Monday afternoon"

MTA: made dh leave work 2 hours early, got there for the last appt of the day and the doctor boldly saved face by saying that since he could now SEE my inner ear, clearly this was the type of infection that called for amox, but since before our best guess was swimmers ear which HAS to ABSOLUTELY be treated with the class of a/b's that includes Cipro.     

Lets see - 2 visits, cost to me $40 plus 4 hours of my life and 60 miles on my car and dh getting frowny faces at work for leaving before the friday evening planning meeting (it's a 24/7 company).  cost to my insurance my guess is around $300 plus lab work for the strep test they ran even though it doesn't look like strep but because if you have a sore throat along with anything they test for strep.  I swear they tested me for strep when I had a sprained ankle. So rapid strep - what $150 plus the cultured strep to the lab, probably another $300.   Oh and I "HAVE" to return next week so they can check my ear "even if you feel better".  Yeah. Right. 

And someone explain to me please the value of weighing me when they just weighed me on Monday?  Really?  They think in 5 days my weight has changed enough to affect...anything? 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Monday's weight may have been off.  Actually, it may be an accreditation-type requirement that they check weight.

Cipro treats strep.  Makes me wonder, if they were going to treat you anyway, why test?

A Saucy Wench

Monday's weight may have been off.  Actually, it may be an accreditation-type requirement that they check weight.

Cipro treats strep.  Makes me wonder, if they were going to treat you anyway, why test?

and I quote "because you have children".  What, if it came back positive they are going to put me up in a hotel so I dont infect the kiddos?  They think dh is gonna be able to stay home from work while I hide in my room in quarantine?  What planet is he from?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If you have kids AND if they get sick, then they should get tested.  If they never get sick, then knowing you had strep is useless.  You would already have infected them anyway (unless they infected you).

Rereading my textbook on strep throat, I see nothing about ear drainage being a symptom.

A Saucy Wench

If you have kids AND if they get sick, then they should get tested.  If they never get sick, then knowing you had strep is useless.  You would already have infected them anyway (unless they infected you).

Rereading my textbook on strep throat, I see nothing about ear drainage being a symptom.

Did you miss the $450 part.  I swear the lab kicks back for useless tests run.  All the doctors in the area use the same lab at the county hospital.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Lab kickbacks are illegal.  We don't get them (or any kind of kickback, and my year-end bonus is a frozen turkey; I am a vegetarian).

But in many communities, it would not surprise me if there is some kind of deal going on...

Prince of Fatness

The doctor I saw today prescribed Cipro (ear infection) and then said no running while I am taking it. 

I was just given a 5 day dose of Cipro for an ear infection.  The infection is on my outer ear where there is a bunch of cartilage.  I was on something else that did not clear it up so the doctor prescribed Cipro.

Anyhow, I searched around and never really got a definitive answer on the running.  Google just gives you a bunch of "sky is falling" hits.  If I were to cut back on the running but not cut it out completely, what is the risk ( I figure there is some, but it is not clear to me how common these tendon problems are)?

Not at it at all.