When do you toss your socks? (Read 122 times)

fimmx

Not that I'm a sock hoarder or anything. I was just noticing yesterday that I have quite a few pairs of socks where the bottom is visibly worn out, just on this side of developing nice large holes. I don't think I've ever taken inventory of my socks before, I just toss 'em when I see a hole, I don't bother mending them.

I'm curious, do you all actively monitor or rotate your socks? When do you toss your socks?

paul2432

I keep socks way longer than I probably should.  Just recently read Fix Your Feet and he recommends replacing socks when they start t show wear (e.g. you can see through the fabric, holes, etc.).

I tossed a few old pairs after reading that.

when there are holes. I get holes way before any elasticity is lost. socks seem to last me several years.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

running metalhead

Depends, there are a few that I mend.

Last year I bought a pair of summer Injinji and got a hole in the big toe after the first run. Not blaming the manufacturer, it was a 37km trail race on the dunes and I fell head over descending a dune and hit the only stone in miles around with my big toe causing loss of toenail. 

As this was an expensive pair I mended it. I also use to mend some of my fave socks like a pair of black Falke that are something like 7 years old. I don't use them for running any more but I keep them.

The rest is replaced rather quickly, namely as soon as my wife sees one with a hole in it, she is lightning fast detecting them, sometimes with help of my dog who is an expert in stealing them, so that when he grabs a pair of my running socks and Patricia intercepts him she takes advantage to check if they are OK or not. 

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
          - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
          - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
          - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
          - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
          - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

T Hound

Slower but happier

I never have, never occurred to me.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

Altair5

Runs in the rain

When they get holes on the bottom part, usually by the big toe or heel, they get tossed. I don't worry about thinning or holes on the ankle part. I don't rotate or keep track other than the older socks get stained after a while and I may use those on a muddy rainy day rather than newer white socks. When they lose elasticity they become socks for yard and garden work. When I buy socks I just get white ones with ankles and I don't like them made with really thick fabric. These are sometimes sold as "work socks". I just have a few colored socks for dress occasions, not running.

Sock joke:

"Hey! you have on one brown and one green sock!?"

"Yeah, and I have another pair just like this at home!"

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
              Get up, get out, get out of the door!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I never have, never occurred to me.

Darn.

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25