Sleeping and weight loss? (Read 855 times)

I'm just curious why I consistently weigh 1 to 2 lbs lighter when I wake up in the morning. I sometimes weigh myself in the evening just before bed and then again in the morning right after I wake up. I weigh myself in my birthday suit and don't go to the bathroom between. Could my body be working that hard while I sleep? If you're thinking it is bedtime aerobics Evil grin that is not always the case.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Fluid losses. You exhale moistened air and you pee. Some nights you may also sweat. It is all fluid losses.
      obiebyke

Plus you're not hydrating while asleep. I drink water constantly during the day. That keeps weight up.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

rockintrax

When you sleep (especially if you do lots of physical activity) you'll go through more non-REM sleep and that will allow your body to repair itself. It will literally be using up energy stores to rebuild/fix tissues - and you'll use up glucose/fat to keep your body doing normal body functions (so you are going to lose some weight - especially since your using up stuff to keep those processes going). And same with what Trent and obie said - you'll be using water as well. On top of all that, you always weigh less in the morning and more in the afternoon as during the day you are compressing all of your muscles/vertebrate and adding pounds through food and water.
          Steph
            When I was obese I would fluctuate night until morning (same thing but weighing after my morning pee)... about 4-6 lbs. Now I generally fluctuation 2-4 lbs.

A Saucy Wench

I really sweat a lot in the early morning hours. I normally get up at 5 or so, but on the rare occasion that I sleep in I will weigh significantly less. I have gotten up at 5, weighed and gone back to bed and woke up again at 7 and weighed 2 lbs less. Yet another good reason to sleep in.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Thanks for the replies. Your answers all make sense. I guess during the day I'm constantly replenishing fluids, while at night they are just going out. I didn't realize it was so much.
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

When you sleep (especially if you do lots of physical activity) you'll go through more non-REM sleep and that will allow your body to repair itself. It will literally be using up energy stores to rebuild/fix tissues - and you'll use up glucose/fat to keep your body doing normal body functions (so you are going to lose some weight - especially since your using up stuff to keep those processes going).
                  Yes. But this only accounts for a couple ounces at most.

De-slacking in progress

I really sweat a lot in the early morning hours. I normally get up at 5 or so, but on the rare occasion that I sleep in I will weigh significantly less. I have gotten up at 5, weighed and gone back to bed and woke up again at 7 and weighed 2 lbs less. Yet another good reason to sleep in.
                    If that's the case, then I'm sleeping for the next 3 weeks straight Big grin I have another 25# to lose.

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

The same exact thing happens to me!!! Definitely reason to sleep and not workout in the morning. I mean, what if I missed those 2 lbs every day? Surely there is something very scientific here Wink
                      http://kcwoodhead.blogspot.com