Why don't you vaccinate your kids? (Read 1573 times)

an amazing likeness

SRL!  Love the pic.  Obviously a comet, but could it also be used for thread killer? 

Excuse me, ma'am, I can sort of speak SRL.

His point being, this is a topic which, like a comet, comes flying back by every now and then. Lights up the sky, then disappears.

I would assume that all the headlines about the recent debunking of the UK Doc who "proved" vaccine=autism are the driver for today's Halley.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Prince of Fatness

I think that this is the thread killer.  It's not always effective, though.

Not at it at all. 

xor

Excuse me, ma'am, I can sort of speak SRL.

His point being, this is a topic which, like a comet, comes flying back by every now and then. Lights up the sky, then disappears.

I would assume that all the headlines about the recent debunking of the UK Doc who "proved" vaccine=autism are the driver for today's Halley.

Also, the original question was stated factually and "innocently" enough that it might suck in the wayward unknowing person to take a beating.

Search this board for "autism".  Find this.  Note the original poster of this thread's post on that page.

"run" "2" "eat"

i didn't even know goats could get chicken pox.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Teresadfp

One day at a time

See?  Totally pointless.  I feel as though my bouts with chicken pox as a child molded me into a stronger person.  The possibility of death by chicken pox is so small as to be almost nil.  It is a huge waste of money.  As for the other vaccines?  Well, we'll let the collective wisdom of the posting population of RA decide for us. 

Deleted because arguing is "pointless."  Sigh.

i didn't even know goats could get chicken pox.

did you seriously read all 28 pages of that thread?

(like i just did?) 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

One does not get shingles by coming into recent contact with somebody who has chicken pox (since shingles is a reactivation of the chicken pox you once had, not a recently contracted illness).

The chance of death from chicken pox is not vanishingly small, and is much higher than the chance of death or illness from the vaccine.  And contracting chicken pox can only make you a stronger person if you survive chicken pox.  And if you do survive chicken pox, you will forever be at risk of contracting shingles (since shingles is a reactivation of the chicken pox you once had, not a recently contracted illness).

Most (but not all) of the vaccines given to small infants are given to small infants because the diseases they protect against kill small infants or cause much more serious disease in small infants.

One of the vaccines that does prevent a disease that is rapidly fatal in small infants and young children is the HIB vaccine. It prevents Haemophilus Influenza, type B. Despite the name, it has no relationship whatsoever to the Influenza virus. HIB is a bacteria that causes serious disability and death. Before the vaccine, this was the single most common infectious killer of babies. There are several vaccines that one might question giving to small kiddos. The HIB vaccine should not be one of them. Not even close

There is no link between autism and vaccination.  The only study ever to show such a link has been discredited because the results were fabricated.

We raise our kids right and hope that they don't ever do drugs or have unprotected sex once (i.e., you don't have to be a prostitute to get HBV, just have unprotected sex one time with somebody who happens to have the virus).  But our children sometimes make decisions that do not reflect the upbringing we impose on them.  They do this because that is what children do.  Sometimes, they also end up in situations where they don't make decisions, but other people do, and put our children at risk in doing so (think date rape, which is very common). If there are vaccines to prevent the illnesses that our children may get when they do stupid things, or when stupid people do things to them, perhaps those vaccines have merit.

When one parent chooses not to vaccinate their children, they put my children at risk for contracting the disease that the vaccine would prevent.  And yet their children benefit from the societal protection offered by the fact that I have vaccinated my children against that same disease.

who has time to have sex these days...

*sigh*

"run" "2" "eat"

i did not read all those pages. i was just making the kids<->kids joke.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

oh. cuz there was actual mention of goats and chicken pox in that thread.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Which tastes better?  Jerked goat or jerked chicken?

Treadmill Addict

One does not get shingles by coming into recent contact with somebody who has chicken pox (since shingles is a reactivation of the chicken pox you once had, not a recently contracted illness).

The chance of death from chicken pox is not vanishingly small, and is much higher than the chance of death or illness from the vaccine.  And contracting chicken pox can only make you a stronger person if you survive chicken pox.  And if you do survive chicken pox, you will forever be at risk of contracting shingles (since shingles is a reactivation of the chicken pox you once had, not a recently contracted illness).

Most (but not all) of the vaccines given to small infants are given to small infants because the diseases they protect against kill small infants or cause much more serious disease in small infants.

One of the vaccines that does prevent a disease that is rapidly fatal in small infants and young children is the HIB vaccine. It prevents Haemophilus Influenza, type B. Despite the name, it has no relationship whatsoever to the Influenza virus. HIB is a bacteria that causes serious disability and death. Before the vaccine, this was the single most common infectious killer of babies. There are several vaccines that one might question giving to small kiddos. The HIB vaccine should not be one of them. Not even close

There is no link between autism and vaccination.  The only study ever to show such a link has been discredited because the results were fabricated.

We raise our kids right and hope that they don't ever do drugs or have unprotected sex once (i.e., you don't have to be a prostitute to get HBV, just have unprotected sex one time with somebody who happens to have the virus).  But our children sometimes make decisions that do not reflect the upbringing we impose on them.  They do this because that is what children do.  Sometimes, they also end up in situations where they don't make decisions, but other people do, and put our children at risk in doing so (think date rape, which is very common). If there are vaccines to prevent the illnesses that our children may get when they do stupid things, or when stupid people do things to them, perhaps those vaccines have merit.

Why give a tiny newborn baby a vax for a disease that comes from having unprotected sex or iv drug use? That doesn't even make any sense. Wouldn't it be more medically prudent to give this vax to older kids or pre-teens? I mean, if your logic is the main reason, then they'd be giving Guardasil to newborns. I realize that there is a trade off between risk and benefit for vax's, but the Hep vax at birth seems to be heavily unbalanced on the "just to be safe" side.

Sarah (37)

Mom to Abby (10) Jacob, (8) and Colton (5)

18 half marathons, 6 full marathons

Goals- run more, lose 20lbs.

Which tastes better?  Jerked goat or jerked chicken?

hmm, neither?

an amazing likeness

(yeah, we'll just delete that one....)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.