Why don't you vaccinate your kids? (Read 1573 times)

Right on Hereford...

For those who choose not to vaccinate their kids, I have one question: why not?

Where's my popcorn?

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Looks like I saw this thread at just the right time.....and I don't have any popcorn!

TRUST THE PROCESS

why do you always post threads that have so much time-wasting potential the night before an exam??

Google might turn up better answers for you than a running forum. 

But because I tend to be both easy bait for trolls and a thread killer, here's an anecdote.  I have a gazillion children.  Only one of them has the chicken pox vaccine, because I was young and stupid and had not yet decided that the chicken pox vaccine was pointless.  Anyway, my sister's two kids are military brats and get every vaccine whether she wants them to or not.  And since they are overseas it's probably a good idea.  Who knows.  But the point of my story:  Who contracted chicken pox and subsequently gave Grandma the shingles?  Not my kids.  Nope. No way.

Modified to ask:  Lab-rat, why on earth would you be watching this thread rather than studying?

"We are not talking about gorse-bushes," said Owl crossly. "I am," said Pooh.

Prince of Fatness

I have a gazillion children.

I could see where it would seem that way at times.

Not at it at all. 

Modified to ask:  Lab-rat, why on earth would you be watching this thread rather than studying?

Because there comes a point when you've been sitting in the same spot for 12 hrs a day for the past 8 days - and you think to yourself - what's 6 more hours reeaally gonna do?  But by the time you come to this realization, you've had too many AMPs and coffees to go home... so you sit and watch, and if possible, add to the drama! 

Big grin

I could see where it would seem that way at times.

Yeah.  Like when they are all sick and vomiting.  If they had a vaccine for no more vomiting, I'd definitely have my kids get that one.  Smile

Only one of them has the chicken pox vaccine, because I was young and stupid and had not yet decided that the chicken pox vaccine was pointless. 

There's a Chicken Pox Vaccine?

There's a Chicken Pox Vaccine?

See?  Totally pointless.  I feel as though my bouts with chicken pox as a child molded me into a stronger person.  The possibility of death by chicken pox is so small as to be almost nil.  It is a huge waste of money.  As for the other vaccines?  Well, we'll let the collective wisdom of the posting population of RA decide for us. 

Treadmill Addict

Oh, I could go on for days about this, but I'll give you the short version of why I used to not vaccinate, and now I have my kids on a delayed/selective vax schedule. 

With my first kid, I vaccinated on schedule until 9 months. Then they told me she had some signs of autism because she wasn't saying any words. At 9 months. At the time I freaked out, and stopped vaxing her. My fear was that I'd ruined her by giving her the vax's. (But looking back, they were really stupid for telling me she had signs of autism at 9 months, when lots of normal kids take a lot longer than that to start talking.) I didn't vax her any more because of that fear until she was 4. She's almost 6 now and over the past two years has been on a very delayed schedule, and has to get a few boosters but we're in no rush for them. There are a few I refuse to give any of my children. Hib, Prevnar, Hep A/B, and Varicella. (Chicken Pox.)

With my son he is 3.5 and is just now starting vax's. (Only one at a time, and no closer than 6 months together.) My newest son is 6 months and I won't start his vax's until he's 3 or 4. 

Basically, after all my research, I feel more comfortable waiting until my kids are a little older, and their bodies are bigger and more able to handle the stuff in vax's. I know that vax's didn't cause my daughter not to speak early. That's just silly. She's the smartest kid in her class, reading at a 2nd grade level. (She's in K.) 

MTA- I should say to clarify, I'm not against vax's in general, but I think that our country gives them WAY too soon, WAY too many at a time. They give newborns a vax for Hepatitis for gosh sakes. Unless your kid is planning on being an IV drug user or prostitute, I see no reason for that one.

I also think there are some gross ingredients in them as well. Just do your research and make the decision that you think is best for your kids and family. 

Sarah (37)

Mom to Abby (10) Jacob, (8) and Colton (5)

18 half marathons, 6 full marathons

Goals- run more, lose 20lbs.

Where's my popcorn?

That is perfect.  Now please find me a picture for thread killer. 

xor

SRL!  Love the pic.  Obviously a comet, but could it also be used for thread killer? 

deleted