The last 5 miles of a marathon (Read 1303 times)

The thread on "training through racing pain" has me thinking about the last 5 miles of the marathon. For all my HTFU bravado at shorter distances, I think I lose that confidence to push through in a marathon. I give up and "just don't walk." My pace slows by more than a minute per mile. What are some of your tricks for gutting out the last 5? I'm looking for mental tricks, as my taper starts today (no more longlong runs).

I try to pass as many people as I can, and prevent as many people as I can from passing me. I look up, pick somebody out, and just concentrate on running them down. Once past, I find a new target. Now and then they run away from me, but usually they either pull me along or I catch and pass them, preferably the latter. By concentrating on them, I can ignore the rest of it. If they aren't too far ahead of me, I might even get some draft bonus out of it, although usually by the time I'm that close I don't have much time directly behind them.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Cause I CAN

also wants to know this answer Dead
        Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
        http://terri7291.blogspot.com/

Bugs

I'm a mid-packer and I too pick people out. Upsets me when the person I'm racing starts to walk. Smile Pick somebody dressed interesting like a "Jeasus Love You" or a "For Mom" sign on their back. If you're not walking that's pretty good. I swear if you start walking at mile 20 you will walk many more times. Don't listen when your legs try to tell you, "Lets just walk this one time". My mind plays tricks on me, like "I told DH that I'd finish in four hours and if I'm there he'll be upset." My first I had the kids dressed warm and was so worried they were too hot waiting for me to finish.

Bugs

Cause I CAN

My problem wasnt NOT walking during marathon, it was not being able to walk AFTER the marathon Big grin
              In my first marathon, I just reminded myself how disappointed I'd be later if I walked now. I also thought back a few weeks to a long run where I felt I needed to walk for a minute... then never got started again. Keeping those things in mind was enough to keep my legs going. I want to try the pick-off idea in my upcoming marathon... sounds like fun!

-------------------------------------
              5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
              10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
              1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
              Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Best Present Ever

I thought of it like labor (this doesn't work very well for men nor women who haven't given birth of course). That otherworldly feel of floating in pain and feeling somewhat dissociated, and knowing that my body could do unexpected things... A medal isn't *quite* like a baby of course, so the analogy doesn't work completely.

Cause I CAN

being of the child free, I'd rather have the medal...it wont wake me up in the middle of the nightSmile
                    Just tell yourself this over and over: "Slower, older, less-prepared, and more out of shape people have done this before." Smile
                    kcam

When I'm 'done' at the end of a marathon and my pace begins to drop I concentrate on maintaining my cadence at 180 whatever it was before I got tired. I shorten my stride length as much as I have to to maintain stride rate. Means slowing down but I can sometimes avoid going into that plodding shuffle that usually spirals into walking.

Best Present Ever

being of the child free, I'd rather have the medal...it wont wake me up in the middle of the nightSmile
                        Yes, but it also won't say how fast you are in awed tons, or believe that you "won" the race despite 1000s finishing ahead of you ....

Cause I CAN

Yes, but it also won't say how fast you are in awed tons, or believe that you "won" the race despite 1000s finishing ahead of you ....
                          Maybe I am not looking for any of that....
                          Teresadfp

One day at a time

or tell you sincerely, as DS16 did, that although I finished 77th out of 85 in my AG in yesterday's HM, that if I train sufficiently, I will eventually win my AG! Big grin I take that to mean he thinks I will be running until I'm 90 or so.

Why is it sideways?

Maybe I am not looking for any of that....
                              Seems to me you're looking for an internet fight. Chill. No one disrespected 6:06 marathoners or childless people. Folks were talking about what motivates them, not about what should might, or oughta motivate you.

Hey, nice marmot!

I take that to mean he thinks I will be running until I'm 90 or so.
                                Hey! Don't knock that strategy! I plan to one day totally dominate the 100+ age group. Then again, I'm pretty sure that's the only way I'd ever win an AG, but I'd take it.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens