When to lift weights (Read 2323 times)

ud32

When is the best time to lift weights as a runner - especially leg work  ? On days that you run ? On your off days/rest days ? After a long run ? After a speed workout ? I want to try to strengthen my legs in hopes of preventing nagging injuries and am curious what days work best ?

Any good routines/workout to follow for your legs ?

A Saucy Wench

There are varying schools of thought.  Most training programs have weights on light running days, I have found better results (less impact on my running) to lift on my harder running days and then take my rest and recovery run days easy.

As far as what routine to follow,  you mention nagging injuries.  You can't get a generic weight lifting prescription.  What you would lift if your legs were healthy could make your injuries worse.   Meeting with a sports trainer/physical therapist might be worth your time and money.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Julia1971

+1 on what Ennay said about seeing a p.t., especially if you've recently been injured.

But, as far as your questions, as she says - there are different schools of thought on this.  I do the opposite of her - I usually try to lift the day before a hard run.  So, if I'm doing a 2-day split, I'll lift the day before my long run and the day before my tempo run.

As far as exercises, I usually try to incorporate a compound exercise (one that uses multiple muscles) and one or two isolated exercises.  So, I would maybe do squats, leg extensions and calf raises on one day and then lunges, leg curls and a hip/abductor exercise on the second day.

MoBramExam

"As a runner", I personally prefer to lift after a hard run.  Your muscles are fatigued so you can lift lighter weights without sacrificing full benefits; all the while saving wear and tear on the joints.  As with running while fatigued, there will be a need for more focus.  More focus = stricter form.  Then another +1 on Ennay's comment.  You have to recover from the hard run anyways.  Two for one.

No specific routines.  I have a large repertoire of movements which I will select 3-4 from for each workout.  (bodybuilding.com and other sites have a large selection of exercises.)  The repertoire allows me to hit every muscle at every angle.  Keep in mind your purpose when selecting exercises  --  Overall strenght?  Maintaining muscle balance?  Injury recovery?  Etc.  Don't let your routine go stale, and don't create a greater imbalance by only working muscles you use in running.

Experiment, and see what your body best responds to.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

I lift every Monday the day after my long runs. All my leg exercises feel find even if my legs feel a little tired from my long run. My weight training is in my log if you're interested.

12ounces for the first rep then 8 ounces then 4 then start over with 12,8,4 and repeat until you are in a happy place. 

On a serious note lift then run if interested in losing weight. if not then fit it in where it fits best for you physically.  I am not the expert on this subject.

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

"As a runner", I personally prefer to lift after a hard run.  Your muscles are fatigued so you can lift lighter weights without sacrificing full benefits; all the while saving wear and tear on the joints.  As with running while fatigued, there will be a need for more focus.  More focus = stricter form.  Then another +1 on Ennay's comment.  You have to recover from the hard run anyways.  Two for one.

No specific routines.  I have a large repertoire of movements which I will select 3-4 from for each workout.  (bodybuilding.com and other sites have a large selection of exercises.)  The repertoire allows me to hit every muscle at every angle.  Keep in mind your purpose when selecting exercises  --  Overall strenght?  Maintaining muscle balance?  Injury recovery?  Etc.  Don't let your routine go stale, and don't create a greater imbalance by only working muscles you use in running.

Experiment, and see what your body best responds to.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

Took a look at the website. People were discussing being sore.  I do upper body  every other day(3/4). I have not had soreness but arms seem never to fully recover.Worked out on Friday. Did a 9 miler Sunday. Arms are lethargic today. Skipping the run today.  General 3 set of 10 repetitions. The weight depends  of the exercise. 10-60 lbs. All advice welcomed.Cool

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

MoBramExam

Took a look at the website. People were discussing being sore.  I do upper body  every other day(3/4). I have not had soreness but arms seem never to fully recover.Worked out on Friday. Did a 9 miler Sunday. Arms are lethargic today. Skipping the run today.  General 3 set of 10 repetitions. The weight depends  of the exercise. 10-60 lbs. All advice welcomed.Cool

Arms are a small muscle group and are easy to overtrain.  They also get extra work if you are doing chest and back work on the same day.  Back off some and see how your body responds.  Some suggestions: Lighter weight, two sets of 12, or something similar for a few weeks.  Another is to start giving yourself an extra day's rest between sessions.  Just like running, you have to allow for recovery.  As we age, this starts to take a little longer.  You have to find your personal timetable.

As for the people discussing being sore...not to offend, but weightlifters tend to be worse than runners about subscribing to the "more is better" school of thinking  Big grin

As harder running workouts create more micro-tears in the muscles and inflammation, I feel better doing my weight work on easy days.  I do my core exercises on Tuesday and Thursday (hard days), and lower body weight work (squats, extensions, etc.) and calisthenics on Monday and Friday (easy days).  Keep in mind that I've only been doing this for a month and the routine will change depending on what cycle of training that I am in, but I feel confident that what I've been doing in this area has helped me generate some pretty decent results.

Goals for 2013: sub 18 5K; stay healthy

A Saucy Wench

I have had much better luck with lifting every 3rd day rather than every other.  Every other day for most people is not adequate recovery time which means you are always lifting tired and not getting the full benefit.  

MTA: Skipping a run for lethargic arms might actually make their recovery slower.  Moving the blood is good for recovery.    You may also want to try a cardio cool down after weights.  My recovery time is hugely faster if after a hard lifting session I get on some piece of equipment and go for at least 10 minutes (generally either elliptical with arms or running, something that swings the arms for awhile).  It seems to help the lactic acid move out and recovery to progress. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Spoken with a guy at work. He  suggest I go to twice a week ,also. Thanks.Big grin

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

DoppleBock

I only lift moderately as running is my #1 sport and weight lifting supports it.

I do legs on easy running days

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I'm fairly serious with weights (to the point where its probably keeping a little bulk on that may affect my running) but I always lift before a run.  I am usually too tired and/or sweaty to lift afterward - don't have the time to recover and wait.  Plus the lifting helps warm me up.  (I don't lift with my legs at all; when I used to in college it was after a run).  If I lift first, I can go right into the pre-run stretches and be out the door in 15 minutes.

+1 for alternating the muscle groups.  I have a rotation set where I change muscle groups each day and don't do the same group 2 days in a row.  Stress the same group of muscles day after day and you increase your injury risk.  In a 6 day rotation, each group gets a harder day and an easy day.

Probably in the minority that I lift every day that I run 90%+ of the time (sometimes lift on my running off days and vice versa).  So I end up lifting 5-6 times a week or as in my current training routine, 60 out of the past 63 days. 

I have backed off the power though.  I don't bench 4 sets of 6 reps with 245 anymore like I did 3-4 years ago.  I usually keep exercises to at least 8 reps, if not 10 or 11, per set and I'm not straining to do so.  I am never tired in the upper body the next day, though I have acclimated myself to this routine over the past 10 years.  I'm sure someone just starting to lift that often will experience residual soreness.

My current routine is probably more in line with "optimal" supplementation of running.  If you are looking for the best way to mesh lifting with running and running is your focus, keep reps high and weight low, and 2-3x/week should do it.

I have also found that lifting in moderation makes my back feel better.  When I was younger and didn't lift much I had back issues, plus felt weak (I have a big frame).  Having a stronger upper body will also give you that bit of edge with a kick, all else being equal.

Perky

Perky

I'm with kpk33x.  I lift 5 days/week (used to do natural bodybuilding competitions) and run 30-50 miles/week.  I do my leg workout on Wed so I have some recovery before my long runs on Sat & Sun.  The only thing I've changed is that I cut out the "heavy" leg days (darn age thing!!).  I actually think lifting helps my running endurance as well as my "fuel" economy.  I am able to run 13-15 miles before I have to refuel. 

I highly recommend lifting but I also recommend that you work up to it. 

I wish I had more time for weightlifting.  I generally try for 2 days per week and have been using P-90X.  If I have a marathon, I back off about a 1 1/2 weeks before.  I find that when I am lifting I have muscle soreness, but am less achy.  Even if it adds a little bulk, I think a strong upper body helps my running.

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly