When to lift weights (Read 2323 times)

A Saucy Wench

I lift 5 days a week during the school year, 2-3 days a week during the summer.   Usually I do either the run before I take the kids to school and the lift after I drop off, or Xtrain and lift before drop off and run after.  So usually I have about a 90 minute gap.  If I have time I will do it together - usually recovery days when the run is shorter.

I do heavy legs on Wednesdays unless I have a race that weekend or for 2 weeks before a marathon and then upper body parts twice a week  - push on M/Th and pulls on T/F.   And then if I miss a day I compound superset to catch up. 

I probably have more muscle mass than would be optimum for a runner, but then I have more not muscle mass than would be optimum as well and I dont see any point in worrying about the first unless I take care of the second.  It's easier to lose muscle than fat as well.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

SMART Approach

I probably have more muscle mass than would be optimum for a runner, but then I have more not muscle mass than would be optimum as well and I dont see any point in worrying about the first unless I take care of the second.  It's easier to lose muscle than fat as well.

I love this attitude. Back in my training days, all I would hear from ladies was, "I don't want to lift so much as I don't want to bulk up". Of course many of these ladies ladies were bulked up but not with muscle.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

A Saucy Wench

I love this attitude. Back in my training days, all I would hear from ladies was, "I don't want to lift so much as I don't want to bulk up". Of course many of these ladies ladies were bulked up but not with muscle.

I'm kind of in love with lifting right now.  I can't run because of my achilles but I am seeing good gains in weights.  Currently lifting heavier than any other girl in my gym (that I have seen).  That kind of rocks.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

LOVE my muscle and plan on having a lot more! 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I'm kind of in love with lifting right now.  I can't run because of my achilles but I am seeing good gains in weights.  Currently lifting heavier than any other girl in my gym (that I have seen).  That kind of rocks.

AWESOME!!!!!

Gotta love when lifting is going so well!  I'm  TOTALLY in love with lifting lol

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

I've slacked off lately, but I prefer to lift (arms/legs) on my non-running days.  I already do enough other stuff on my running days afterward...lol.