Are you ever not sore? What soreness do you just kinda live with? (Read 1471 times)

I've gotten myself slowly up from 15 miles per week to 25 miles. From 3 days to 5 days/week. Weekly long run is up from 6 to almost 10 miles. A real accomplishment for me. My question is about soreness. Not pain, just residual (DOMS) soreness. I have it mostly in the shins (inside) and lower legs. It goes away after 2 miles or so when I'm warmed up. The rest of me, quads, hammies, knees, hips, etc. feel great and I have plenty of jump in them when I play hockey. If I crouch down I'll feel tightness/soreness in the shins. I'm sure it's just the increased mileage and extra days - and I suppose if you're not a little sore you're not pushing yourself hard enough. I kinda like DOMS - it tells me I'm working my body. But for those of you that have been where I am now and gotten to a marathon, what level of soreness did you just kinda get used to and learn to live with? I avoid pain relievers b/c I want to be aware of pain, not mask it. Frozen dixe cups are good too. I feel pretty good but just wondering what to expect as I crank it up this summer. Do we all have some level of soreness pretty much all the time?

When I trained for my first marathon last year - I was in a similar boat as you. No pain - just soreness in the shin area. No NSAIDS - no ice. Just dealt with it. I also had a really sore/tight left hamstring. Same story - just avoided fast running. Someone around here turned me onto The Stick. It helped a LOT. The instructions said not to use it on my shins - but I did anyway. When I trained for my next marathon - the hamstring problem was gone for the most part. The shin soreness was there - but not as bad as the first time. I'm hoping this "trend" continues as I train for other marathons and ultras this year.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I can relate. I am increasing mileage to about 20 miles per week, following a training plan, and What really seems to get me is the tight calves, soleus muscles. I have read that alot of slow miles ( LSD running) is a culprit of this. Nothing is " OMG sore" and can't work through it, but I don't like to take anything either. Although it may not be the smartest thing to do, I have done a ( very short very quick) All out sprint for about a tenth of a mile at the very end of my run to get everything un-cramped and my legs feel GREAT after that. Not sure why .... Confused For shins, I found that my Foam roller works really great on tight calves/posterior muscles. It's great to break up all those tiny microscopic knots that cause the tenderness. Stay Strong~ Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Being sure to eat/drink something within 30 minutes of running can do a lot to mitigate soreness. Getting glucose to your muscles in that window right after a workout helps them repair faster, hence less soreness. It doesn't have to be a lot, just 8oz of yogurt or chocolate milk or a smoothie should help quite a bit.
            I think this is the body's way of telling you something. When you learn your body's language you can make adjustments based on what it is telling you. Some soreness is normal. However I think cronic soreness is a problem. If you are always sore then you are not ever fully recovering, which can lead to overtraining... I think I expect to be sore a bit after hard workouts. BUT I expect to be recovered from them after some period of time. ex: the soreness from running tough hills on wed should be gone by the time I run my saturday long run. The ankle stiffness I sometimes get from my long runs should be gone by my wed run the following week... if not then I figure I am due for a two day rest... Generally there is soreness (muscle and very mild) and there is soreness (tendons, knee, groin, ankle...)... and there is soreness (feet).. I look at soreness as an indication that I have over-reached... and well overreaching is just part of training. however if you are always overreaching you will just beat yourself down... you need to have some workouts that are easy... that don't make you sore... IMHO --- note updated a typo didn't realize it would mark the thread as updated sorry ---
            JakeKnight

I think this is the body's way of telling you something. When you learn your body's language you can make adjustments based on what it is telling you. Some soreness is normal. However I think cronic soreness is a problem. If you are always sore then you are not every fully recovering, which can lead to overtraining... ....... I look at soreness as an indication that I have over-reached... and well overreaching is just part of training. however if you are always overreaching you will just beat yourself down... you need to have some workouts that are easy... that don't make you sore... IMHO
              Read Jsobo119's post carefully and think about what he's saying. Sure you should be sore after a hard marathon. Or after a hard hill workout or some hard intervals, maybe. Sometimes. But if you're sore all the time, something is wrong. I'm almost never sore, and I'm just an average schmoe. I did 90 miles last week, all of it in hills, and was never sore. You may not be recovering enough, which will eventually lead to injury, and it also will make sure you don't improve much, if at all. You may be running much too fast on a lot of your runs. It's hard to tell without knowing your race paces, and I didn't see any.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

Think Whirled Peas

Any time I start ramping up mileage, I throw out the fast stuff until I'm comfortable w/the added training load. It's not always easy to keep yourself in check, and running easy, but it helps A BUNCH when you're trying to increase your mileage and/or frequency of your runs. Looking at your log it looks like you're doing a lot of tempo runs and long runs. I'd work on getting more miles in that are of the easy variety. Get yourself up to 25 - 30 miles per week of mostly easy mileage and then after you get comfortable w/it, start adding in a tempo run once a week or so. If you're almost always running hard or long, you are gonna be sore a whole damn bunch. Good luck, and nice job!!!! Stay after it! Q

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Thank you all for the tips and advice. I haven't done any races, at least not recently. I'm building my base gradually and have a 7.5 mile race 6/29 and planning on my first half in October. Nothing is what I would call chronic or a symptom of an injury. I was just curious what other people feel. If I waited for my shins to feel 100%, I'd never run.

I personally like the idea of every 4-5 weeks doing a recovery week. You will be amazed how you feel after a week of just three or so runs at very moderate distance will do. Cut back to at least 1/2 of what your weekly average is. If you learn to rest better you should also be able to learn to work harder when it is time.
                    Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Do we all have some level of soreness pretty much all the time?
                      No. Soreness is ok once in a while, because pushing really hard is ok once in a while. But if you try to make a lifestyle out of it, you're likely to break. The majority of all your running should be at an easy pace. An easy pace should not make you sore. This is true whether you're a beginner or trying to qualify for Boston. Everybody needs lots of easy running. Otherwise you get injured, or can't muster maximum effort for hard workouts. If you're sore all the time, then your easy runs aren't having the desired effect, and you need to figure out why. Maybe too fast, maybe a problem with your form.
                      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                        this is a great thread since I've been contemplating my "soreness" lately...the other day I ran a 10K race (big mistake 2 in one week), took a day off and ran an 8.5 easy run. Shins have been tender but tolerable. I don't run fast or daily (try to take a day off in between). Yesterday was the most painful run I've ever had! It actually felt as though my lower legs were going to break in half!! It really scared me.....did a lot of checking on the computer, etc and have decided to take a week off completely. No run, no long walks Sad. I think the muscle "soreness" is different from what I experienced. If I have sore quads or calves I run and the pain goes away. But this was different. Bottom line, listen to your body. It'll tell you what it needs. Right now mine needs physio and cross training (swimming and biking).
                        Purdey

Self anointed title

I live with muscle soreness, as long it disappears after a couple of days easy running. If the soreness is in your shins I would be VERY careful... this could be the start of shin splints which could lead to a stress fracture. I'm not saying it is and it will - just saying be careful. [I have shin splints at the moment from doing too much, too quickly]

Oh Mighty Wing

It seems like for me new mileage seems to lead to some soreness in my calves. What I'm going to try is sticking in the new mileage range for a while and just let my body get use to it. Then repeat. And I'm trying to force myself into cut-back weeks also.
                            higa

I'm almost never sore, and I'm just an average schmoe. I did 90 miles last week, all of it in hills, and was never sore.
                              average? 90 miles? uh oh, i'm going to have to reconsider where i sit on that bell shaped curve............

Duncan

thanks for starting this post - it could have been me writing it! i am in a similar place mileage wise to you, just a little behind. i'm really battling with sore calves/ shins at the moment. i am curious to know if it could be shoe related?
                                I'm almost never sore, and I'm just an average schmoe. I did 90 miles last week, all of it in hills, and was never sore.
                                jake, you don't know how jealous i am of you for that statement!