Wheels fell off (Edit: they're back on again) (Read 1026 times)

De-slacking in progress

Been running pretty good since April, maintaining/increasing mileages basically injury free. For the last week I haven't really been able to do my runs as planned do to my body yelling STOP. I think it started when I ran a "tempo' run at 5K distance. I didn't realize I was actually running a 5K distance faster than I had ever ran before and it was up and down hills. So the next day my left calf muscle was very sore and still hurts today. DW gave it a great massage last night so it does not hurt as much. I went for my scheduled 4 mile run this morning ( cutting miles this week as I have a 5K race this weekend). I warmed up on the dreadmill for 10 mins to make sure the blood was flowing good into my leg muscles and then went out and hit the road. I couldn't even run at all !! I basically limped along and lost all my HTFU-ness at 2 miles and quit. I was having some trouble with the PF muscle but thats better, it's just like my body is telling me I've overdone it. Basically all the major muscles groups in my legs and hips. First time experiencing this total disaster as a whole, so I'm perplexed on what to do. HTFU and run low easy miles for next few day then rest couple day before race ? The taking it easy part is not what's bothering me, it's the mental part- I have a 5K race on Saturday- my last planned race and it's the fastest 5K in N.E. Ohio so I really wanted to see what I could do. Also worried about the 10k I had on Labor Day. GRRRRRR The 10K is the last hurdle I had planned also for this year so I don't want to miss it. My longest slow runs have been 7+miles so I am was all geared up for it also. Q: stay off feet until race Day Saturday or just tough it out and do low miles till race day?

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

A Saucy Wench

Today is monday right? I'd take tuesday and possibly wednesday off, light jog on thursday. Friday do a light jog with a few gentle pickups. If stuff hurts friday I would skip the race. If stuff just feels tired but no pain then go for it, warm up well and kick booty. Tomorrow or wednesday if you can something like a swim might help a lot. Or just take a walk enough to get the muscles loose, but not fatigued.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Today is monday right? I'd take tuesday and possibly wednesday off, light jog on thursday. Friday do a light jog with a few gentle pickups. If stuff hurts friday I would skip the race. If stuff just feels tired but no pain then go for it, warm up well and kick booty. Tomorrow or wednesday if you can something like a swim might help a lot. Or just take a walk enough to get the muscles loose, but not fatigued.
        Sounds right to me. Your mileage in in July to August was more than a 70% increase instead of the recommended 10%. Could possible be part of the problem.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

De-slacking in progress

I'll give that a try- already going nuts not running today Big grin Cry

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

The taking it easy part is not what's bothering me, it's the mental part- I have a 5K race on Saturday- my last planned race and it's the fastest 5K in N.E. Ohio so I really wanted to see what I could do
            Which race is this? I'm in that area, so very curious! I was starting to get a similar feeling and have chalked it up to cement sidewalks and shoes that were getting worn out. What has solved the problem: - new shoes (switched from Brooks to a nice pair of NB) - superfeet green inserts - trail runs (they are slower overall and more technical, but the softness has given me the relief that my legs needed) I've been able to keep up the same "intensity" of run, but with better shoes and softer ground, I've been able to eliminate the pain. ("intensity" is in quotes, since my runs would not seem too intense to many around here. It's all relative, though!)
            ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer
              I had the same type of injury in June. I was running hills on a 5.5M course. I had just finisdhed the last hill and had a half mile to go. I decided to slow my pace down (normally I charge into the finish) and coast in. Then all of a sudden I had a sudden pain in my left calf. I had to stop and rub it a bit and then limped in. I took a couple of days off and then tried an easy run and didn't even make a half mile. I then took 3-4 more days off. Then went out to do an easy 3 mile, at an easy pace. The leg felt really great and I was getting close to the end and kept telling myself to take it easy (which I did) and about a 10th of a mile from the finish it went out on me again. I was unable to run after that for well over a week. Once I started again, I took it very easy, low mileage, low intensity, no speed work, no hills etc. I've been back on my feet now for about 4 weeks and feeling about 99%. The muscle was right at the bottom of my calf. Is that the same one bothering you? Like any injury, the severity and person are different, but listen to your body and if rest is what it needs, that's what you have to do. I got very lazy in my down time and didn't use my exercise bike or do much stretching etc. If you find yourself down, don't fall into the same hole I fell into and be idle. Good luck Larry PS - When I actually looked at my time for my 5.5 mile hill run, it was much faster than I had planned.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

De-slacking in progress

Which race is this? I'm in that area, so very curious! I was starting to get a similar feeling and have chalked it up to cement sidewalks and shoes that were getting worn out. What has solved the problem: - new shoes (switched from Brooks to a nice pair of NB) - superfeet green inserts - trail runs (they are slower overall and more technical, but the softness has given me the relief that my legs needed) I've been able to keep up the same "intensity" of run, but with better shoes and softer ground, I've been able to eliminate the pain. ("intensity" is in quotes, since my runs would not seem too intense to many around here. It's all relative, though!)
                N.E Ohio's Fastest Certfied 5K Run Navarre Ohio Canalway Classic 5K Run 8/16/08 9am ( www.ohiochallengeseries.com) (only have till 2pm Friday to pre-register @ $20 then it's $25

De-slacking in progress

The muscle was right at the bottom of my calf. Is that the same one bothering you?
                  Yup- EXACTLY- but I also think it's over training relataed also. I was enjoying my "long runs' and basically my whole lower body just aches. DANG.

De-slacking in progress

Swim- ha- not a public pool in our entire county!! Cry Went out and easy ran a 5K+ distance on "flat" ground for our area. I warmed up on the dreadmill for 10 mins walking first then hit the road. First 1/4 mile was a little rough, then the rust fell off and the further I went the better I felt. I could had run much more very easily. So that's very good news for me physically, even though I'm still not anywhere near 100% recovered. It was the MENTAL relief that todays first run provided that was the most exciting for me. I'm am going to rest on Friday, then run the race on Saturday. I was hoping for a new PR but that may not happen (and I'm ok with that) Maybe once the day arrives I might end up with a new PR anyway. But I will not due so at the risk of injury. Thank you for your advice and personal experiences once again.

A Saucy Wench

Nice Race!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

De-slacking in progress

Nice Race!
                        New PR for me for 5K 25:30 ( my pre-race goal was 26 - ) Still want to get to 24min Still hurt but will probably run my first 10k in couple of weeks as that was my last main goal for this year. Going to get green feet inserts on Monday to see if it help my PF, along with Chiro adjust and a masso therapy session.