New shoes and muscle imbalance (Read 75 times)

Saturnine

So I finally got myself to a physio since my right leg has been annoying me for years, ever since I 1) got a completely avoidable overuse injury and 2) kept running on it like the genius I am. I know, I know. Not doing that again. After a few simple tests she told me that my right leg is significantly weaker than my left one, especially in the hips and ankles, making my stride all wobbly. I probably developed some bad biomechanical habits way back when, trying to run through the injury. She gave me some strengthening exercises and recommended that I buy stability shoes. I got a pair of Asics Gel Kayano, which she mentioned especially.

I've taken the new shoes out for two short, easy runs now, and it feels... weird. They are clearly doing SOMETHING to my right leg (the left one feels completely normal). It doesn't hurt, exactly, it just feels stiff and achy and slightly off, especially on the outside of the knees and hips. Again, the other leg feels just fine. I understand that I probably need to re-train some muscles, but what is the best way to go about doing this? How long will it take? (I will of course be doing the exercises she gave me, but apart from that?)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Just a thought, but I'm not sure about jumping 100% into a new shoe. It is going to feel different. Is it possible to alternate two shoes while you adjust, similar to how runners work into vibrams or other different shoes. In your case, I'd take my concerns back to her and see if this is the progression your physio thinks you should be having.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Ease into them for sure, it's nice to have multiple  pairs or running shoes.

and ease into certain shoes to help the foot leg etc... build those muscles you weren't using as much.

300m- 37 sec.

starrita

I don't know if you were in the Asics Gel Kayanos previously, but the newest version has been giving me major problems.  My legs aren't recovering,my feet are sore, and a blister has developed on one foot.  This hasn't happened with previous Kayanos I've owned.  My right calf in particular has been very tight and I had to bail on my long run since my calf nearly seized up on me.  All of this happened with 6 runs using the new shoe.  My recommendation is to pick another stability shoe and see if you start to feel better.  My shoe store recommended Brooks Adrenaline and New Balance 860s.