A couple of thought on maps (Read 874 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I'm new to this site, and I think it's fantastic! I esp love the elevation maps. They sure beat the heck out of how I was doing elevation maps before (Draw a path in Google Earth and input the dist/elev from each point into Excel). A couple of thoughts on the maps, and forgive me if these are just newbie mistakes on my part: 1) On the elevation map, I'd like to see some minor tick marks on the distance axis (say every 0.25 mi or every 0.2km). 2) I'd like to have the option to have more frequent distance markers on the maps (say every 1/2 or 1/4 mile or every 0.2km). 3) I'd like to be able to "close the loop." That is, I'd like to push a button and have the map draw a straight line from the current position back to the start, so that the loop is closed. Right now, you have to draw your last point as close as possible to the start, but it would be cool to automate. (The "Follow Route back to start" button does this, but only if the most recently drawn point intersects another point on the course). Thanks for a great site!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

eric :)

Oops. I missed this post.
      1) On the elevation map, I'd like to see some minor tick marks on the distance axis (say every 0.25 mi or every 0.2km).
      This is not hard to do and I'll consider it during the next round of map improvements.
      2) I'd like to have the option to have more frequent distance markers on the maps (say every 1/2 or 1/4 mile or every 0.2km).
      Although this is not hard to do, having extra markers on the map actually makes the map less usable. As you put on more mile markers, the map gets progressively slower. That's why different mapping sites employ techniques such as displaying the first 100 markers, or in the case of my site, filter out the minor mile markers, in an attempt to reduce the number of markers to enhance performance. Having sub-mile markers will magnify this problem.
      3) I'd like to be able to "close the loop." That is, I'd like to push a button and have the map draw a straight line from the current position back to the start, so that the loop is closed. Right now, you have to draw your last point as close as possible to the start, but it would be cool to automate. (The "Follow Route back to start" button does this, but only if the most recently drawn point intersects another point on the course).
      I'll add this for the next map upgrade.
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Thanks Eric! Big grin WRT #2, I completely understand how that would slow down mapping performance. So how 'bout this -- have a "ruler" option where you click on any two points on the course, and it tells you the distance between those points (along the course, not as the crow flies)? Great site! Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

eric :)

That I can do! eric Smile