Core / Strength Training DVD's ? (Read 1621 times)

Tramps

Too often, I neglect core work. I’m thinking maybe a DVD I could pop in and follow along would help. There’s plenty of (free) written information out there about core work for runners, but I’m looking for something that is motivational. (I don’t belong to a gym and don’t have any home equipment beyond a couple of small free weights.) A quick Google search turned up the DVDs below. The first two are basic, the other two are really packaged and glitzy (and overpriced?). Has anybody used any of these? Feedback? Other suggestions? MacMillan’s Runners Core Routine http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/coredvd.htm The Injured Runner: A Balanced Solution http://www.injuredrunner.com/balanced_solution.htm Core Performance Essentials (Mark Verstegen) http://store.coreperformance.com/store/Products/Core-Performance-Essentials-Series-DVDs__AP-CE5.aspx Runner CORE System (Al Lyman) (This looks pretty cheesy to me but….) http://runner-core.com/ Thanks!

Be safe. Be kind.

btb1490

I have both "The Injured Runner" DVD, and some of Verstegen's books and DVD's. Both are good in their own ways, and I alternate between using them. With Verstegen's stuff, you probably get more for the money and a more complete program, but the nice thing about "The Injured Runner" exercises is that you can do them just about anywhere. They are very simple, but effective. For motivation, Verstegen often uses some very attractive women to demo his routines, while the Injured Runner DVD is pretty dry. If that matters. Tongue
      btb1490

I wanted to add that you can preview some of Verstegen's stuff here... http://www.sportskool.com/videos/core-strength-1

Bugs

MacMillan’s Runners Core Routine http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/coredvd.htm
          Got it last week, have not been home because of holiday. Will force myself to get off my duff tonight and report back ASAP.

Bugs

Prince of Fatness

Tramps, I have no experience with the DVD's you mention. I am recovering from a nasty case of shin splints, the root cause of which the doctor said was poor flexibility. To help with flexibility I started doing yoga. I bought this DVD and it is pretty good. The first couple of times I had to pause the DVD to make sure I was doing the poses correctly but now I can go through it without pausing. I didn't have to buy a mat because my wife had a couple, but you would want to get one. If you don't have a strap, a towel will do. I need the towel anyway to wipe the sweat. This DVD runs a little less than an hour and is a good workout. Along with flexibility it helps with balance, and some strengthening. Just something else to consider.

Not at it at all. 

Tramps

Thanks, Bob; that's helpful. Bugs I look forward to your review! MrPH, I'll definitely make a note of this. I do basic stretching regularly but have heard about many good results from yoga.

Be safe. Be kind.

Tramps, I have no experience with the DVD's you mention. I am recovering from a nasty case of shin splints, the root cause of which the doctor said was poor flexibility. To help with flexibility I started doing yoga.
                I don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm curious about this flexibility/shin splint thing. I have recurring posterior shin splints and my PT has me doing some calf and hip stretches to increase the flexibility there. Have you noticed a difference since starting yoga? I've been considering it (I actually have one DVD at home just waiting to go, but haven't had a second this week to do it). How often do you do yoga?
                2009 Goals:
                PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                Run a 10K
                Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                Complete my first Sprint Tri

Prince of Fatness

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm curious about this flexibility/shin splint thing. I have recurring posterior shin splints and my PT has me doing some calf and hip stretches to increase the flexibility there. Have you noticed a difference since starting yoga? I've been considering it (I actually have one DVD at home just waiting to go, but haven't had a second this week to do it). How often do you do yoga?
                  I'll be honest and say that it is too early to tell whether the yoga is helping with the shin splints, but I like doing it. The DVD I am doing stretches me as much as the stretching program I got from PT, but there are additional benefits as well. There are balancing poses that will help strengthen my feet and ankles. Plus the yoga stretches and strengthens more body parts (like back, abs, shoulders, etc.) than my PT had me focusing on. Finally, my wife is not into running, but will do the yoga with me. So it's time I get to spend with her. I have to tell you, it's a workout ... more than you would think. I plan on doing the yoga twice a week. I think it can only help with the shin splints, and consequently my running. I really think that the cause of my problems is a lack of flexibility / muscle imbalance. I sit at a desk all day at work, and the only physical activity I get is running. I am looking for some balance, and I think that the yoga offers that. So will it cure your problems? I don't know. Would it be worth doing? I think so. Clear as mud, right?

Not at it at all. 

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Tramps

Thanks, pRED.

Be safe. Be kind.