So where have I heard this before??? (Read 368 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I have not felt an urge, to weigh in, in the past.  Today, I can't help myself.  You see, part what I do is breaking code, analyzing patterns, etc.  After looking this, I am 95%-99% confident that Nimmals and sport jester are the same person. The writing pattern, the sequences, and the replies, make it obvious.  I'm sorry if I am wrong, but, I am really good at what I do.  The adimin should have a way to confirm this if they care... to which they probabaly don't.  Unless, they are looking to get rid of the alter ego of Nimmals

I’m good at breaking code as well and from analysing Nimmals writing style, I get a strong feeling that he’s from the NYC area and that he’s pretty good at racing the mile distance. I’m also getting a vibe that his real name begins with a B and ends with a D. I am 98% confident about that.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Hello Sportjester,

In order to move on it would be great if you can stop avoiding the question I have been asking from the beginning:

Why do you advocate for longer ground contact times for a faster performance when the only two studies you have referenced show that your idea is incorrect? 

Surely someone of your extreme intelligence should be able to answer this very simple question.

T Hound

Slower but happier

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

And now this

Honestly, this is the most meaningful post on this thread.  I'm not being sarcastic either.  I showed the video to my wife.  I love it!

mikeymike

I’m good at breaking code as well and from analysing Nimmals writing style, I get a strong feeling that he’s from the NYC area and that he’s pretty good at racing the mile distance. I’m also getting a vibe that his real name begins with a B and ends with a D. I am 98% confident about that.

I, too, am good at breaking codes and from a careful analysis sport jester's writing style I get that he is from Portland, Oregon and that he's not good at interpersonal relationships. I'm also getting a vibe that his real initials are "RV".

Runners run

an amazing likeness

...The adimin should have a way to confirm this if they care... to which they probabaly don't.

Also wrong.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Also wrong.

So can admin tell if sports jester and Nimmals are maybe half brothers that have never met?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

I, too, am good at breaking codes and from a careful analysis sport jester's writing style I get that he is from Portland, Oregon and that he's not good at interpersonal relationships. I'm also getting a vibe that his real initials are "RV".

OMG same

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Why do you advocate for longer ground contact times for a faster performance when the only two studies you have referenced show that your idea is incorrect? 

So now you're getting pissed...

The joke of the study is that the only component of it that I reference is the title. The study is a comparison between human runners, not humans and T-Rex. You study runners. I study killers.

One cannot increase in speed unless a foot is on the ground generating greater forward velocity potential than resistance from the rest of the body keeps it from attaining. So why wouldn't you want to keep your foot on the ground as long as possible to attain the highest velocity improvement possible per step?

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

sport jester

Biomimeticist

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

One cannot increase in speed unless a foot is on the ground generating greater forward velocity potential than resistance from the rest of the body keeps it from attaining. So why wouldn't you want to keep your foot on the ground as long as possible to attain the highest velocity improvement possible per step?

So since Power = work / time, then increasing the time over which the work is done reduces the power.  Somehow I don't think that translates to increased velocity.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

So now you're getting pissed...

The joke of the study is that the only component of it that I reference is the title. The study is a comparison between human runners, not humans and T-Rex. You study runners. I study killers.

I'm not angry at all.  It took asking the question in bold print after several attempts to get a response.  I'm happy that I finally received a response of substance rather than another personal attack.  Thank you for joining me for at least for the time being on an intellectual level.

It's not about the amount of time your feet is on the ground, it's the power that is generated.  The amount of force applied to the ground will have a direct impact on the force generated as the runner leaves the ground through Newton's third law of motion.  Speed during this phase will produce the most power.  This is not theoretical.

Sprinters can not improve their maximum velocity with a longer ground contact time.  This has been proven by thousands of studies and observations for the past 30 years including the study you provided. "Not to mention this study I use...", your words.

Speed has to be produced from maximizing elastic energy which requires the athlete to have a rigid dorsiflexed foot plant with just under 10 degrees of plantar flexion at touchdown.  Too far forward and the athlete will spend too much time waiting for the foot to find stability.  If too far back the athlete's heel will hit the ground producing harmful forces.  This is the worse scenario of the two.

The key to speed is to land in the proper position with a stable strong foot and take off with large amounts of force as quickly as possible while taking advantage of the human body's elastic energy potential.  This can't be done by increasing time spent on the ground and even if it can you would be utilizing the same power with a longer cycle which would result in a slower performance.

Taller elite sprinters have the advantage in having a slightly longer ground contact time than their rivals.  But they improve when they shorten their own time on the ground as is the example of Bolt when he had a ground contact time of .092.  But, improvements in performance are linear seeing as Bolt's fastest time was produced by his own fastest ground contact time.

So, ground contact time can be individually measured. But, no performance increases can be made by extending ground contact time if the proper form markers for faster running have been met.

(edited, because people should be given enough rope)

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Speed has to be produced from maximizing elastic energy

Of everything you write, this is all I agree with.

But the fallacy of all running coaches is that Newton's law of motion was based upon humans wearing shoes. Mother Nature doesn't wear shoes however, which means the perspective is highly limited.

Case in point is Olympic skier Bode Miler. If you were a skiing coach you'd be telling me that proper position is to lean forward. Bode leans backwards.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/sports/1194817096458/bode-miller-breaks-the-rules.html

Given his Olympic speed history, my question is what principle of balance is he following if he's not leaning forward and pushing back as Newton's theories demand?

And if it works to improve skiing speed, I can assure you that you're also unable to explain why it improves running speed.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

My next question is 20% reduction in energy doesn't always mean the same increase in performance. A long time ago I use to race cars. And it was always a challenge getting  all the engine HP to the wheels. 

What you're experiencing is actually a very small component to what I teach. The walking exercise is merely to introduce you to the balance skills I work with. My hope is that for this forum, you would at least confirm that I teach a walking technique which is in complete contrast to our functional shoe induced parallel leg swing and that it is a more efficient way and not less efficient way to walk.

I would also like to know if you've played with it on an incline of the treadmill yet as well?

The walking technique is what I use to demonstrate load bearing improvement. What I hope you can also confirm is to what extent walking inline reduces upper body movement through a heel strike process and not a midfoot or forefoot landing. It confirms the foundation to improve running economy, not speed.

Once the balance principles are somewhat mastered, only then can I introduce you to the biomechanics behind speed improvement, agility improvement, as well as acceleration improvement