So where have I heard this before??? (Read 368 times)

I think it's important what speed we are talking about here?

Are we talking about maximum velocity like a world class sprinter would be running at 60 meters in a 100 meter race?  That's what we were originally discussing.

The most important phase is the ground contact phase because as was discussed earlier.  The work done on the ground controls everything.

For a sprinter or anyone really running at maximum velocity they must overcome the same forces.  At maximum speed (whatever that is for the athlete being studied) the largest limiting factor are vertical forces.  An elite sprinter's center of mass oscillates approximately 2' up and down to allow for proper body mechanics.  Remember, this doesn't mean the body bounces up and down 2'.  It just means the C.O.M. oscillates up and down with each foot strike.  For an elite sprinter this happens at a rate of approx. .5 of a meter per second down that has be displaced by force that results in .5 of a meter per second up.

During the drive phase large horizontal forces are seen.  As the sprinter attains top speed the sprinter can no longer speed up because they so not have enough power to both overcome vertical forces and have left over power to go faster.  They must also carry their own weight and not to mention the force required to push through the air.

The proper landing again is just under 10 degrees of plantar flexion. If more than that the foot will needlessly take longer to drop into a stable position.  If landing on the heel the foot will take an even longer period of time to get into position and also the landing itself will generate unwanted forces.

The stride length will be determined by the amount of power generated on the ground.

I can explain this more in detail if anyone is interested?

sport jester

Biomimeticist

\An elite sprinter's center of mass oscillates approximately 2' up and down to allow for proper body mechanics.  Remember, this doesn't mean the body bounces up and down 2'.  It just means the C.O.M. oscillates up and down with each foot strike.

Otter, so please explain the difference between the body bouncing and one's COM oscillating up and down. Of course that's a two dimensional view of running (side view of course). To truly study running  one must measure the body in a 3D perspective. Especially since you make no mention of lateral displacement generated by the uselessness of a parallel leg swing.

With the recreational runner averaging 4" of vertical lift per step, you still don't teach anyone how to reduce it...

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

sport jester

Biomimeticist

The stride length will be determined by the amount of power generated on the ground.

Of everything you've written, this is the only sentence I agree with. What you don't get is how to increase that ground contact time to increase power generation. Therapods figured out how to double their stride length, through biomechanic alteration. My question for you is what you propose to increase in any variable of your own Speed=stride length X turnover rates?

If I can do it through biomechanic alteration and not power generation (which means increased energy consumption and therefore less efficient running economy), why would anyone listen to you?

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

They would listen to him because he has actually put up good runners he has coached and was one himself...while you??????? So basically...ya know...evidence?

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Straight up...have you coached anyone who is a sub 15:30 5k? Sub 4:15 mile? Sub 10.6 100m? If no, well that is why people are skeptical. If yes, what were their PR before you worked with them?

Can you please answer this after 9 years from the last time I asked.?

2023 Goals

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Otter, so please explain the difference between the body bouncing and one's COM oscillating up and down. Of course that's a two dimensional view of running (side view of course). To truly study running  one must measure the body in a 3D perspective. Especially since you make no mention of lateral displacement generated by the uselessness of a parallel leg swing.

With the recreational runner averaging 4" of vertical lift per step, you still don't teach anyone how to reduce it...

If you understand how a high jumper using the Fosbury flop passes his/her center of mass below the bar and yet clears it you will understand.

The oscillation has to occur with an elite runner so the entire leg motion can cycle through.

What you don't get is how to increase that ground contact time to increase power generation. 

You simply can not given the reasons I have already stated.  Really, I don't have to prove anything that has not already been proven by a mountain of research.

To anyone else, I can't take credit for what I have said here.  Most of it comes from what I have learned from Dr. Ralph Mann and Newton.  Ralph Mann has been researching the biomechanics of runners for over 40 years.  I have spent a couple of weeks with him and Loren Seagrave on a couple of occasions.

You simply can not given the reasons I have already stated.  Really, I don't have to prove anything that has not already been proven by a mountain of research.

To anyone else, I can't take credit for what I have said here.  Most of it comes from what I have learned from Dr. Ralph Mann and Newton.  Ralph Mann has been researching the biomechanics of runners for over 40 years.  I have spent a couple of weeks with him and Loren Seagrave on a couple of occasions.

I did a little stint with Jack Daniels. Another exercise scientist that the particular individual would consider a "hack" or "fraud". But I also studied with Ray Hyman, and a lot of what is being presented would fall under that realm of study!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

I did a little stint with Jack Daniels. Another exercise scientist that the particular individual would consider a "hack" or "fraud". But I also studied with Ray Hyman, and a lot of what is being presented would fall under that realm of study!

Yes, JD certainly knows his stuff.  I am interested in hearing more about Hyman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Hyman

He was brought in to debunk Uri Geller and other psychics for the defense department; just so they could be certain it was all crap, and nothing to be concerned about the Russians weaponizing before the USA. I watched him replicate all of Geller's tricks in a class. That was a FUN grad school class!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Hyman

He was brought in to debunk Uri Geller and other psychics for the defense department; just so they could be certain it was all crap, and nothing to be concerned about the Russians weaponizing before the USA. I watched him replicate all of Geller's tricks in a class. That was a FUN grad school class!

Interesting guy.  He actually lives about 2 miles away from my daughter in Boston.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

I always love it when people name drop coaches as their, "mentors," when not one of them can explain the women of Kenya. You seem to forget I can. So therefore since I can teach a Soldier how to carry 20% of their bodyweight and you can't, then obviously I have an education superior to yours.

The research shows multiple running techniques exist. Even in quadrupeds, they use either ipsilateral or contralateral locomotion biomechanics. Can you explain the difference between the two? Which do humans use?

And if you still want to argue that we're bipedal maybe you should research, "grounded running in birds," to understand that multiple bipedal running techniques exist far more efficient than the IPSM of Jack Daniels, Salazar, or any other worthless drunk shoe salesmen who call themselves, "experts," could dream of barfing..

Not to mention that multiple bipedal running techniques exist as well. Everything you write is based upon the inverted pendulum spring model, which was derived by people wearing shoes. As mentioned it fully explains your education but it doesn't explain the running skills of pygmies, porters, the Aborigines, or the women of Kenya.

I also find it funny that in quoting anyone who actually has learned what I teach and unlike anonymous cowards, the only individual willing to go on the record for what I teach used the word, "genius," to describe what he learned.

Of course, given your narcissistic own self absorption, you overlooked the detail that formal studies of what I teach have already been done. There is nothing to question of what I teach. I know you obviously don't want to admit that fact, but until you can duplicate the Kenyan women's abilities, your, "education," in running is worthless.

Our military combat leaders already know what you know, have listened and paid your experts to solve the injury rates they face. Funny that not one of them is an advisor to our military forces as I am and can readily prove. None of you have either the medical educations, combat experience, or security clearance of any of my supporters.

I don't write for myself, I write for those who want to learn how to enjoy running regardless to how they want to enjoy the activity.

The biggest joke of lab proving my claims is because most treadmills won't reach the speeds necessary to document a 20% increase in running speed for any tested athlete. Regardless to your education, the definition of economic improvement is the ability to reduce energy expenditure per step. These comparison charts ar directly from an e-mail exchange with Nike contrasting the heart rate of a group of personal trainers. Given the overall shape of the volunteers, recording a significant heart rate reduction for the same speed is legitimate proof for anyone.

Especially military trainers, which is why the heart rate reduction carrying 135lbs was so easy to accomplish.

Traditional (T)technique Heart Rate Kitty Running (KR) heart rate

2% incline (T) 176 BPM (KR) 155 BPM
                          3% " (T) 176 BPM (KR) 167 BPM
                          5% " (T) 181 BPM (KR) 171 BPM
                          7% " (T) 196 BPM (KR) 179 BPM

2nd subject

2% incline 147BPM 136 BPM (KR)
                          3% " 154BPM 138 BPM (KR)
                          5% " 167BPM 145 BPM (KR)
                          7% " 173BPM 151 BPM (KR)

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Straight up...have you coached anyone who is a sub 15:30 5k? Sub 4:15 mile? Sub 10.6 100m? If no, well that is why people are skeptical. If yes, what were their PR before you worked with them?

Can you please answer this after 9 years from the last time I asked?

For someone who says other can't explain...you seem not to be able to answer these basic questions.

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Y'all feel free to carry on your discussion of running mechanics, but I'd suggest, as others have, to ignore anything tossed in by the OP. We knew the Kenyan women and the footprints would be back. We've seen them time and again.

That said, if you're craving more, but with some added variety, check out Jester-Libs.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Sorry vultures, but I've been busy writing. And on my list of priorities you're not in my top 20. But, as to my time, I've been publishing again. You can find my most recent article under the title Next Generation Athlete. Not only does it detail my training science, it also verifies for you what nobody wants to see.

Proof.

I've stated my military connections and most would rather think it a Schizophrenic rant than actually possible. Per my bio, my participation and credibility is without question through the site. In publishing my itinerary, documents who I am to the people who matter. Oh, and Brain 101 panel for location.

The best part of this for me being my references have been fully verified by a third party. Since I deal with individuals who don't need to be harassed, this will at least prove what few want to be true.

While everyone in the mean time rants I haven't done legitimate studies, I don't need to. My military credibility is without question. And in leaving conventional training behind, it's up to you if you're smart enough to follow the 1.6 million member team I get to train.