New here! (Read 437 times)

AnnQ

Hi,

I'm another changing over from the RunnersWorld forums.  This looks like a nice place to be!

I live in Seattle; I'm 54 and a long-time runner. I never ran in school but was active with things like hiking and skiing.  In college I found running as an easy way to get out and take a break and keep in shape. I continued running, usually 12-15 miles a week, for many years.  I'd build up a bit and run some 10-K's and 5-K's here and there.  It's always mostly been about fitness and the enjoyment of running itself.

As I inched towards 40, I decided to run a marathon; built up to that using a beginner plan, and ran the Victoria marathon in 1998 and again in 1999.  Since then I've decided I like the half better -- 4+ hours is a long time to focus and run well, and the amount of training is more manageable.  At some point in the next few years, I let it slide a bit and gained weight, but fortunately never let running completely disappear from my life.  Over the last couple years I've lost 20 pounds, still with a ways to go on that score and am back to running 10-K's and making it through a half marathon or two.

Looking forward to getting to know you-all!

Ann

Love the Half

As a fellow refugee, my two cents about the forums here.

1.  There is a tremendous range of knowledge in here ranging from folks who ran their first step last week to folks who have been running for decades.

2.  They appreciate it if you keep stuff in here running related.  There is a User Group for the RWOL refugees that's a place for chat and miles games and dailies and penguin threads, etc.  Here's the link.  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/

3.  Amazingly enough, no spam.  What a concept huh?

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

#artbydmcbride

Runners run

AnnQ

I've never been into the non-running stuff anyway -- looks like lots of activity here, and some in General Running.  And I like the log too.

Welcome to RA!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

I've never been into the non-running stuff anyway -- looks like lots of activity here, and some in General Running.  And I like the log too.

Not to put words in LTH's mouth but when he listed the second item about keeping things running related and chat stuff in the RW group page that goes for intros too.  While I don't think they would be a big deal if it was one or two people posting them it is kind of an issue since there are tons.  If you take a couple of minutes and look at the threads "we" have pretty much invaded with all of our "hi, I'm new here" or "hi, I'm a RWOL refugee" threads.  

I'm new here from RWOL too.  The BF and Beyond group is where we will keep things kind of like how they used to be but I think most of us are going to try and respect the way things are here . I think if we show a little respect in that way it will make things go a lot smoother.  I don't know, I just try to think how would I feel if RW was invaded by 200-300 people in a day to a day and a half.  Smile

Modified to add: That wasn't supposed to sound mean... there has been some backlash and misinterpretation of things yesterday and today.  I would hate to see more people getting "caught in the crossfire." 

Steph 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” John Burroughs

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

As a fellow refugee, my two cents about the forums here.

1.  There is a tremendous range of knowledge in here ranging from folks who ran their first step last week to folks who have been running for decades.

2.  They appreciate it if you keep stuff in here running related.  There is a User Group for the RWOL refugees that's a place for chat and miles games and dailies and penguin threads, etc.  Here's the link.  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/

3.  Amazingly enough, no spam.  What a concept huh?

1) wrong. they know nothing, thus contributing to the downfall of society

2) they appreciate nothing. Certainly not running. 

3) , just kidding. The culture clash has been fun to watch. Don't hide in the user groups only. Poke around. Welcome. Please take your shoes off on the way in. Take your kids with you when you leave

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

ohanapecosh

I have been lurking on RA since the demise of CoolRunning (with an occasional post) and just wanted to say (a) welcome and (b) I like reading introductions from new people.

markrice

Geezer trying for speed

Just a test post... so might as well make it an introduction... although I've had an account for a while... it's been dormant. We'll see where it goes.

Did light running before 2008, but really started more seriously in April of 2008. I completed my 8th marathon on 11/11 (2012) and my next (scheduled so far) is in April of 2013.

I'm a heart rate trainer and racer... started that about a year ago. Will never go back. I'll be poking around here and hopefully getting to know some of you.

Anyone could see races, etc. on www.markrice.com/running.

I believe in HR training: www.markrice.com/running/heart_rate_training.html